Valued Contributor
I know there's been a lot of conversation about shipping issues and thefts. I'm in Illinois and the amount of theft through USPS is off the charts. I'm semi rural and it's not something I experience, but mailing eastbound to Chicago is a nightmare.
I recently mailed 20 bridal shower invitations and half of the guests said they never received their invitation. All southwest suburban Chicago.
So if UPS and or FedEx go to signature only, unfortunately it's a safe delivery.
Who would have ever thought that cards, or invitations are intercepted bc they think there's money or checks inside.
I'm a different generation and things these days are ramping up so bad I'm ready to hop off lol. Insane.
Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

@katie1859   I live in downtown Chicago and am not aware of any thievery.  But then I rarely mail anything.

I do agree with you about this world.  I'm from the boomer generation and life as I see it is rapidly going downhill.  Happy to be in the "winter" of my life and not "spring" or "summer"--LOL!!

Super Contributor

Where I live, we are having the same problem.  The postmaster said to only send mail from inside the post office -either hand it to the postal person or put it in the slots inside the building.  He told me that they don't have enough workers to empty the big blue boxes on the streets, and that is where the thefts are occuring.  So, if you have to mail something, don't put it in the big blue boxes.

Respected Contributor

Re: USPS THEFTS

[ Edited ]

Yes, we in Westchester County, NY, are going through the same thing.  Glue has been found on the slots on the blue mailboxes, which is used to fish out the mail and look for checks, which they wash with bleach.  Our postmaster told us to mail directly inside the post office and use indelible ink pens to write checks.  Also, the olive green mailboxes, which are used to store mail, are being broken into as mailmen are being held up for the keys to those storage mailboxes.  It is becoming a critical situation.

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen an olive green mailbox/storage box since 1947.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I haven't seen an olive green mailbox/storage box since 1947.

That's because they were stolen from your neighborhood 😄

I remember those as a little kid but it was a few decades later.

Honored Contributor

@katie1859 wrote:
I know there's been a lot of conversation about shipping issues and thefts. I'm in Illinois and the amount of theft through USPS is off the charts. I'm semi rural and it's not something I experience, but mailing eastbound to Chicago is a nightmare.
I recently mailed 20 bridal shower invitations and half of the guests said they never received their invitation. All southwest suburban Chicago.
So if UPS and or FedEx go to signature only, unfortunately it's a safe delivery.
Who would have ever thought that cards, or invitations are intercepted bc they think there's money or checks inside.
I'm a different generation and things these days are ramping up so bad I'm ready to hop off lol. Insane.

@katie1859 

Thefts or loss of mail due to lack of employees, overworked, poorly trained, careless.....???

We have had carriers caught dumping mail....not stealing the contents per se...

loose mail and mail bags found in ditches or ravines....one employee claimed it was an accident...the huge heavy bag fell out of his truck on the road.

I have found Fed Ex and Amazon boxes in the middle of the road that the recipients do Not even live in our development!  Just sitting in the street, a couple left on the curb.  That indicates carelessness to me...moved it and forgot to put it back in the truck?

Our company mails invoices and payments.  I can't tell you how many never make it to the destination...even brought IN the post office...often handed right to a clerk.  Happens ALL the time.

I personally have had 3 jewelry orders where the item was stolen out (USPS or Mail Innovations) packages retaped and delivered with empty boxes inside.

QVC gave me instant credit...

Respected Contributor

That's terrible,

I only mail checks now for property taxes and I do it inside the post office.  But I'm thinking of starting to pay them online even tho I fear that might be less safe.  To pay my garbage and local taxes I can drop the check off at her house -  I may start doing that.

Respected Contributor

We live in a rural NC area.  I put return packages in my mailbox, but only in the morning before the postal carrier comes thru.