Honored Contributor

Re: Trouble on the High Seas

[ Edited ]

Nothing about a cruise is enticing to me.  I have no interest in being with that many people on a boat.  Nor would I want to be the the Persian Gulf or Sea of Adan in any case.

Trusted Contributor

@boston terrier mom- You'll really need to see a doctor or physical therapist to diagnose but your discomfort could be due to your psoas muscle.

I've had a bout of psoas discomfort in the past. I've also gone through sciatica, but sciatic pain usually travels down the side of the leg and can go down to the foot.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624,

Many thanks for sharing the news. There are no more pirates in the Caribbean but there have been in Asia for a while. This is the first time that I see them threatening a cruise ship. I totally agree with you 🌻Why look for trouble, still feel very sorry for those on board.

Respected Contributor

We don't take cruises as we both get very seasick. I had all types of meds and other things I tried but I always get seasick and dizzy. Since I was a child I would get dizzy and sick from sitting in the back seat of a car and going on amusement rides such as a roller coaster was a nightmare. 

I feel bad for those people on the cruise ship. No one wants to be inconvenienced on a vacation like that. We live in dangerous times now. Better safe than sorry. 

Honored Contributor

I would never want to be on a cruise ship for 3 months!!!!!In fact, I wouldn't want to be away from home that long anywhere.........

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are areas in the world where these pirates operate with impunity because their governments are totally ineffective in stopping them.  If you choose to take a cruise in these areas then you should not be surprised at the potential for being attacked.  

I have been on many cruises and have ever felt unsafe but then again I would never choose to sail in areas where these pirates ARE KNOWN to operate.  PEople need to do their own research and not be surprised if something unfortunate occurs.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

There are areas in the world where these pirates operate with impunity because their governments are totally ineffective in stopping them.  If you choose to take a cruise in these areas then you should not be surprised at the potential for being attacked.  

I have been on many cruises and have ever felt unsafe but then again I would never choose to sail in areas where these pirates ARE KNOWN to operate.  PEople need to do their own research and not be surprised if something unfortunate occurs.

It's quite telling that there is not one complaint on Cruise Critic about this.  And it's called "Critic" for a reason as someone is always complaining about the littlest things.  That's because is was not a surprise and the passengers were fully aware of what they were getting into when traveling the area.  This is merely a reporter sensationalizing the experience for an unaware audience. I understand she was speaking on the ship and SHE likely didn't know what she was getting into - is it surprising that a so called journalist didn't actually do any research?  At any rate, the threat to cruise ships by pirates are very slim and, by reports from other cruisers who have taken the route, they never felt unsafe.  Some report having pirate parties after they got through the area!

I was nevertheless quite surprised by the 10 days comment and I do see several sea days in their 2018 itinerary from Abu Dhabi to the Petra stop (too many for my taste), but less than 10. Then a few more scenic cruise days in the Suez Canal until they get to Greece.  I'm not sure where the pirate drills come into play, but I can't imagine they are necessary for this entire route and wonder if that's just exaggerated.  Others who have taken the route do not report that many days.  I personally will never find out.

Esteemed Contributor

@CHIP62 wrote:

@Kachina624,

Many thanks for sharing the news. There are no more pirates in the Caribbean but there have been in Asia for a while. This is the first time that I see them threatening a cruise ship. I totally agree with you 🌻Why look for trouble, still feel very sorry for those on board.

This was done  for safety. 

Esteemed Contributor

All I know is, if I were on a cruise ship, and there was a threat of pirates taking over, I would want Tom Hanks to be on that ship!

captain-phillips.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  I have thought about that a lot over the years.  The ships are literally "sitting ducks" when they are in any harbor.  But then I haven't traveled anywhere on anything for 6 years and totally forgot about it.

So now I am booked to go on a cruise to Alaska and after reading your post I can just hope all will go well and there won't be any terrorists in that neck of the woods.