Esteemed Contributor

We have booked flights on SW from Baltimore.  We have a hotel in Reno.  We are supposed to attend a  ballroom dance festival.  This is all to happen in early July.

Need advice:  Not sure the event will be on.  If they cancel or if we cancel we can get our money back on hotel deposit and event deposit and SW will give us credit for over a year.

No financial problems being created.

Questions

1.  Anyone from Las Vegas or Reno and what is the status there... stay at home?  Open?  

2.  Anyone think we should stay home?   And whjy? I am very torn and am not familiar with the area.  I will add our dance halls will have lots of people from all over the US and the world.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Trip to Reno in JULY advice

I would hesitate to fly on a plane in early July for a dire emergency.  To dance?  Forget it.  Foolish.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn’t take the chance.... my life is more important than a ballroom festival!!!! .... COVID-19 is very serious & not like the regular flu ... based on your note it seems that you already made up your mind & are going to go.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu Personally I care too much about my health to fly on any airline, much less attend a crowded event.

And people from God-knows-where with God-knows-WHAT health problems???

But it's your life.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu   DH & I have cancelled all trips thru the Spring of 2021.I would not feel comfortable going on any vacation for quite a while.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Should be easy to Google opening status of Reno.  I live in AZ and from what I've heard (so far) little in Nevada is open.  Plus what you are planning involves a large group without social distancing, so I would be very surprised if your event happens.  I'd cut my losses and cancel now. We had planned a two week trip to Maui for Nov but we are very much on the fence and haven't yet booked flights (I'm thinking there is a 60% chance I'll cancel).

Super Contributor

I think you should reschedule your trip for safety reasons.   You are better off staying at home because if you travel you will be around people on a plane, a hotel and at the ballroom festival.   Just too many people and I don't think social distancing will be practiced.  

Esteemed Contributor

Even though it’s in July, I am very surprised the festival hasn’t been cancelled yet. In fact, I’m trying to google the festival and everything I’m seeing has been cancelled.

I’m sure you know more than I do because you are actually going, but I would be surprised if it happens.
Respected Contributor

Well, I am not sure that you should really be asking for advice.  You want to go and you have made the reservations--the issue is really more of health and safety. Will the virus have dissipated across the nation?  Will the festival still take place?  Will the airplanes be flying at that time?  Will the hotel accept guests?  Will restaurants be open?

The whole world has been undergoing a new experience, so since finances are not an issue, you will just have to wait and see!

Honored Contributor

My sense is that if you're asking advice you probably know the most reasonable thing to do under these lousy circumstances...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...