Trusted Contributor

Hi all!

I already bought plane tickets to Portland, OR in June to attend my graduation for a Master's degree. Can't wait! I went to Portland once on a girls' road trip, and we had a blast, but that was about 15 years ago. We did go to the Japanese garden (gorgeous!) and on the Shanghai Tour. The Shanghai Tour was featured on NatGeo or Discovery channel, and I highly recommend it, if it's still around. Dark part of our history that needs to be preserved, especially since human trafficking may be even greater than it was before. 

We're probably going to do Airbnb for cost and because there is a big homeless problem in the city. I'll be with my son and want to stay safe. I think it'll be better to stay in the neighborhoods. I've never done it before, but my classmate recommended it and said that she rents out her house through them when she doesn't have renters.

Does anyone have any recommendations of activities besides visiting Powell's Books (already on the list)? We'll have a few days there. We like history and seeing new things.

Thanks for any help!

Valued Contributor

When I stayed at airbnb/Portland, I rented listing F138.  It was right outside of Portland and the host was very nice. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

When I stayed at airbnb/Portland, I rented listing F138.  It was right outside of Portland and the host was very nice. 

@Beauty$Junkie  Thank you for the recommendation!

Honored Contributor

We're going to Portland, OR next week to take a cruise on the Columbia River.  Haven't been to Portland since the weekend the light rail opened so I'm open to any suggestions/must sees in the area.  TIA!

Valued Contributor

If you go to airbnb and search Portland OR Homes, F138 is the first one to come up.  It was exactly as pictured and the best price we could find so close to Portland.  Congrats on your degree.

Trusted Contributor

We were in Portland for a few days three years ago, and really enjoyed it.  Powell's Bookstore is amazing! You could spend hours there!  There are 5 or 6 floors of books, both new and used.  There is a nice cafe there for snacks or a coffee drink.  Be sure to go downtown where the food trucks are.  There are several streets full of food trucks, with food from every nation.  I had a gigantic gyro, which was so delicious!  Another must is Voodoo Donuts (we went to the one near Chinatown), with a wide variety of creative flavors.  There is always a line there, but it moves fast.  Wow, are they good!

We also went to Washington Park, which is huge and has a beautiful rose garden.  At the airport, I bought some rose garden hand lotions as gifts to bring back home, and they smelled wonderful.

Respected Contributor

https://japanesegarden.org

Beautiful, peaceful. Easy to get to.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

We're going to Portland, OR next week to take a cruise on the Columbia River.  Haven't been to Portland since the weekend the light rail opened so I'm open to any suggestions/must sees in the area.  TIA!

Please report on your columbia River cruise.

Trusted Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

We were in Portland for a few days three years ago, and really enjoyed it.  Powell's Bookstore is amazing! You could spend hours there!  There are 5 or 6 floors of books, both new and used.  There is a nice cafe there for snacks or a coffee drink.  Be sure to go downtown where the food trucks are.  There are several streets full of food trucks, with food from every nation.  I had a gigantic gyro, which was so delicious!  Another must is Voodoo Donuts (we went to the one near Chinatown), with a wide variety of creative flavors.  There is always a line there, but it moves fast.  Wow, are they good!

We also went to Washington Park, which is huge and has a beautiful rose garden.  At the airport, I bought some rose garden hand lotions as gifts to bring back home, and they smelled wonderful.

I loved Powell's and will definitely make a stop there. I know about Voodoo Donuts but haven't been there yet. We might have to do that, especially since my son will be with me. I also forgot that we went to the Rose Garden. I don't know if my son will be interested in that, but I loved the smell! The Japanese Garden was so peaceful. We should definitely go there and take pictures together. Heart

Super Contributor

I very much enjoyed visiting and touring Pittock Mansion, and the view of the city from it.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller