Valued Contributor

@Stray  We haven't done Antartica and I don't think I know anybody personally who has -- but from discussions on the Tauck forum people seem to love it.  We only took one river cruise.  Rendezvous on the Seine.  I definitely prefer land tours. I like to see the outlying areas along the way.  

Honored Contributor

@docsgirl  Why don't you give him a set amount of money, whatever you can afford, and tell him it's for a trip.  Let him figure out based on the time he has, his interests, and whether he wants to add more to the pot, when and where he wants to go.  He can do the searching, planning, and scheming.  Isn't that half the fun anyway? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

@Stray  We haven't done Antartica and I don't think I know anybody personally who has -- but from discussions on the Tauck forum people seem to love it.  We only took one river cruise.  Rendezvous on the Seine.  I definitely prefer land tours. I like to see the outlying areas along the way.  

@judy0330- i prefer land myself for the same reasons you mention but Antarctica does interest me...I understand the Drake Passage is quite rough and you travel on a zodiac when you go through it.  My husband has severe motion sickness so it doesn't sound like anything he could tolerate.

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@judy0330- i prefer land myself for the same reasons you mention but Antarctica does interest me...I understand the Drake Passage is quite rough and you travel on a zodiac when you go through it.  My husband has severe motion sickness so it doesn't sound like anything he could tolerate.

I'm waiting for Quark's 2018/2019 itineraries to come out as I'm looking at a Jan/Feb 2019 date.  They have trips that fly you over the Drake Passage.  As I have limited vacation  time, this is what I'm interested in.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in Japan for close to four years. My whole family loved it. It is beautiful, interesting and tons of stuff to do. A lot is free but let me tell you it is expensive. A ton of research is really needed to make it a successful trip. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

Check out Canadian tours.  We booked a two week trip to China thru one of their agencies, it was $2500, including everything (airfare). We justb

Honored Contributor

@docsgirl - I lived in Japan and taught there for three years. It's a beautiful country. How great that your son will be able to visit his friend! I did get to travel around the country some, and I'll be happy to help you with some specific recommendations if you would like! Smiley Happy