Honored Contributor

We recently flew United to MT.  We bought the cheapest seats available.  Even so, you can carry on two items.  It's one bag and one small personal item like a purse.  The larger item can go in the overhead.  I actually carried on 3 items which, if necessary, all 3 would fit into the under-seat storage. I could hide my cross-body purse by pushing it behind me underneath my coat while boarding. Most any small roll-aboard bag will fit in the overhead and often if they have a full flight they will offer to check the bag for free to your final destination at the gate.  Just make sure to remove any medication.  For fitting under the seat, the squishier the better. 

Mine was a small rectangular bag with one main compartment and several zipper pockets aournd the outside of the bag.  I could put my medications in the side outer pockets.  There were actually 2 pockets on front, one zipper pocket that I could fit my tablet in and another pocket in front of that that I put snacks in.  It had a strap on the back so that you could fit it over a suitcase handle and even that strap had a zipper in it that you could maybe put some important papers in folded up.  I just lucked into that bag on clearance at JC Penny years ago though.  You might look on Ebags or a similar site for something similar.

Honored Contributor

Yes, you can bring food.  We usually get a sandwich from Subway.  You cannot bring liquids through security but I just bring an empty water bottle and fill it up once I get through.

Respected Contributor

I can't answer your question but Cograts to your daughter, you, and the rest of your family on the new soon to be baby.

Regular Contributor

Yes, I did mean 17 not 7

Regular Contributor

Thank you.

Valued Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:

Yes, I did mean 17 not 7

@joann1218 

So if that is the case there are many more options available to you.  I didn't question your measurements because I wasn't making the reservations.  I wish I was going to Denver!  Maybe you could take me in your bag!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:

I am flying out to Denver soon to visit my daughter who will be having a baby. I am going United  basic economy so I am only allowed a personal item that will fit under the seat. The measurements will have to by 9 x 10 x 7. Any recommendations for an under seat backpack/luggage? Thanks.

@joann1218    Are you sure those measurements are correct? That's about the size of most small cross-body bags.  Something that small could hardly be called luggage. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Made a mistake. Meant 9 x 10 x 17 not 7

Regular Contributor

@Kachina624  My daughter and her family lived in the Denver area for years so we went out there about 3 times a year.  The weather can vary from day to day so bring things to layer.  It is a very casual lifestyle so bring comfortable clothing especially when dealing with a new baby.  Congratulations!!

It is what it is!!!
Honored Contributor

@Nannerbelles   I think you have me confused with another poster which easily happens when there are multiple responses.  No babies in my future. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment