Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trip Report - Liguria and Tuscany, Italy (May 2023)

I was in no hurry and arrived in Pisa around lunchtime.  Since I would meet up with my group early the next morning, I chose a hotel near the train station.  Hotel Alessandro Della Spina was a very nice hotel and I met several people from my tour at breakfast the next morning.  However, it was maybe a 25 minute walk to the Cathedral with its more famous bell tower.

but first, lunch at L'Ostellino on the way.

IMG_1643.jpeg

IMG_1641.jpeg

Thought you may find the menu interesting, particularly the #6 special! My sandwich, the more boring #C, was excellent.  Busy hole in the wall, with someone manning the door and, frankly, just being all around very helpful to everyone (even directing a couple to a nearby coffee shop for a cafe and bathroom). Lots of seating in the park in front.

IMG_1651.jpeg

I still haven't been up there! I tried to find an afternoon walking tour but could only find morning ones in English.  I suppose I may not have looked very hard, but that's what I saw! Was nice just to walk around. Kids were playing in the large grassy areas.

IMG_1675.jpeg

IMG_1638.jpeg

Pretty area by the river.  The area near my hotel was not very picturesque.

Time for more food! Nearby restaurant - Fuori di Zucca.  I was the first person there (Americans!), but they soon got busy with only Italian speakers ordering pizzas!  I did not order pizza (I mentioned this to one of my tour guides and she basically said Italians usually just go out for pizza LOL)

IMG_1695.jpeg

spinach gnudi

IMG_1696.jpeg

I begrudgingly ordered a steak.  I've been disappointed so many times ordering beef - even at Michelin starred restaurant.  So, even though I've seen many comments about Florentine steak, I didn't have high hopes.  And it was fantastic!  Awesome beefy flavor. 

I finished my meal with a cafe only (which is espresso - don't order cappuccino after 10:30 am)

Tour finally begins tomorrow...

Esteemed Contributor

Backroads' Cinque Terre & Tuscany Easygoing Hiking Tour 

I should note that I have no right taking a hiking tour.  Apparently even one that is noted as "Easygoing" I am woefully out of shape and overweight.  But, unfortunately for me, these are the things I'm interested in. The tour says that you can go at your own pace, etc, but I was always at the end of the pack. 🙁

After meeting at Pisa's train station (a little late because there was an accident that our guides couldn't get past), we drove to Campiglia for lunch at Il Piccolo Blu and then our first hike to Portovenere.

the hike overlooked the port of La Spezia (if anyone cruised around Europe, this is one of the main gateways to the Tuscan region).

IMG_1957.jpeg

IMG_1963.jpeg

IMG_1962.jpeg

IMG_1722.jpeg
Much of the hike was through forest, with some inclines (and therefore declines).

IMG_1724.jpeg

Snacks at the end of the walk (fun fact - cherries are one of my most favorite things ever!) Did you know Italy grows bananas? Avocados too.

IMG_1730.jpeg

We took a boat to Isola Palmaria for dinner at Locanda Lorena.  Food on the tour was pretty much the restaurant bringing out a gazillion starters and then maybe a pasta and dessert. Usually family style.  I was not able to take photos of everything.

IMG_1735.jpeg

IMG_1737.jpeg

This region is more fish forward.

ride back to hotel 

IMG_1739.jpeg

Speaking of hotels, we stayed at the Hotel Belvedere.  A nice hotel, as our guides said, this stop was about a view with a room.  Our next stays would be nicer (although, honestly , they had the best free slippers! LOL I packed them to use the rest of my trip.)

Esteemed Contributor

Cinque Terre day. We had been watching the rain forecast and it wasn't looking good.  The morning greeted us with pouring rain. Guides came up with a few alternatives (which the group grumbled about).  In the midst of all the questions about options, a third choice became possible.  After calling the parks, it was decided that it may be possible to go as the rain was expected to taper off.  Bonus - there would be less people there!  We got in our vans/taxis and went to our first of the five cities, Manarola.  

IMG_1752.jpeg

IMG_1754.jpeg

IMG_1759.jpeg

IMG_1768.jpeg

This was a short hike that not many people did.  We then took the train to our next town, Vernazza where we had time alone to shop and eat. Sure enough, the sun came out and the reat of the day was gorgeous!

IMG_1792.jpeg

I've learned the hard way that they are serious about that "do not touch"!!

IMG_1796.jpeg

IMG_1813.jpeg

IMG_1798.jpeg

IMG_1801.jpeg

IMG_1814.jpeg

Time for a snack...

IMG_1825.jpeg

What to choose? What to choose?

IMG_1827.jpeg

Lemon granita. 🤦‍♀️ Recall I said earlier that I didn't have much gelato this trip.  To be fair, this was great; very refreshing and sour.

Only two women went on the hike to our final town; the rest took the train to Monterosso.  (With regards to the hikers, they said it was hard, with some narrow areas.) This was more beachy than the other towns.

IMG_1835.jpeg

IMG_1839.jpeg

IMG_1845.jpeg

I think it's possible we were supposed to stop at all five of the towns - we missed Riomaggiore and Corniglia.  In general, people were a little disappointed in the shopping here.  Now that I've done this once; I don't necessarily need to return.  

We took the train to our next destination - Santa Margherita Ligure.  We stayed at Hotel Continental and had dinner at their restaurant

IMG_1856.jpeg

IMG_1857.jpeg

IMG_1858.jpeg

Dinner was fine, but something one could get anywhere. Nevertheless, was nice for something light.

Goodnight

IMG_1861.jpeg

Will be walking over there the next day...

Esteemed Contributor

The next day...

IMG_1870.jpeg

This was my breakfast view.

We will be walking to beautiful Portofino today! Someplace I was happy to return (another previous cruise stop with mom).

IMG_1873.jpeg

IMG_1875.jpeg

IMG_1881.jpeg

Getting set up for the day.

IMG_1887.jpeg

That water!!

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1897.jpeg

IMG_1901.jpeg

IMG_1903.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1908.jpeg

I love the above photo!

IMG_1917.jpeg

The beautiful port of Portofino!

Lunch was at Strainer Restaurant.  I think the first course was a nice salad and then pasta and desert.

IMG_1922.jpeg

IMG_1923.jpeg

Most of our group walked up the the lighthouse.  I stayed with a couple others to walk around and shop. We eventually all took a boat back to Santa Margherita Ligure.  Dinner would be on our own tonight.

In my real life, I'm not a fancy person.  But when I'm on vacation? I try a little harder.

Du Coq

IMG_1933.jpeg

My own mini bottle of wine

IMG_1934.jpeg

This may just look like carrots and bread, but, dangit, that brown bread in front was some of the best bread I ever had!!  Actually, I started out being a little disappointed in the bread this trip - I later leaned that Otalians don't put salt in their bread.  I'm probably simplifying. Regardless, if you wonder about the bread, that's why.  This bread, however, had no such problem.  Absolutely delicious!

IMG_1935.jpeg

I remember liking oysters when I had them many years ago.  Let's just say, some were better than others!  LOL. It was one of their specialties.

IMG_1936.jpeg

The fish was their daily special and every thing about it was fantastic!  

IMG_1937.jpeg

Affogati - gelato with calvados (a type of brandy)

We leave for the Chianti region in the morning.

And I will need to finish my trip report tomorrow.  Good night!

Esteemed Contributor

@CoffeeNut wrote:

Now we just need @World Traveler to restart posting her travels and it will be just like old times.  She's the one that started this travel forum years ago. 

I wonder if she still comes here? Have missed her posts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego 

Thank you for the wonderful tour of Italy. Heart

My mother's family is from Abruzzo, yet I've never had the pleasure of visiting.  I might not have to now that I've been on the @Alter Ego Tour.

You hit all the things on my list: Produce, bread, gelato, cannoli, pizza, Botticelli.

I just wish I'd poured a glass of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo before we got started. Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego  Thank you for your lovely pictures. I fell in love with Italy in 2006 and would love to visit again.

I saw that #6 special. I must say, I've never seen horse meat on a menu, before.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to share these wonderful photos and comments. It's a great virtual trip, to be able to follow you through so many locations. 

One drawback: I found myself getting hungry with the shared meal photos. I think I may have virtually gained a pound, or two.

I've never been to Italy, but it is on my bucket list. Your adventure makes me want to go even more. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff I wonder how much horse they actually serve?! 

@BlueFinch  With all of the walking one tends to do in Italy, many people actually lose weight! So, definitely have the extra scoop of ice cream!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for bringing back some beautiful memories of Florence & Pisa.

And, of course, the beautiful windows of the jewelry shops!  I have photos of them too.Woman Wink

A wonderful trip!