Esteemed Contributor

Trip Report - Liguria and Tuscany, Italy (May 2023)

I wasn't supposed to be in Italy.  I was supposed to be in Scotland and, later this year, Morocco. But, for personal reason, I needed to switch my trips around to save a little money.  The Morocco trip was with Backroads and I wanted to use my credits.  I had been thinking about returning to Italy next year, so checked their May trips and found one that would work for me.  I was not sad about the switch.  I do believe Italy is my most visited country (next to Mexico).  Including cruises, this would be my 6th time in Italy.

The tour would start in Pisa, but I was not happy with the flights into Florence.  I decided on a nonstop flight into Rome, which I used points for.  In my mind, this meant I didn't pay anything for the flight and, when I saw an offer to upgrade to business for the flight there, the price wasn't that obnoxious.  Yay! I was flying in a fully reclining seat!!

IMG_1231.jpeg

This was a huge treat! How the "other half" fly:

IMG_1234.jpeg

IMG_1235.jpeg

Meal selection was actually available in advance online, but I waited until I was on board to choose. Was very happy with the food. 😊

IMG_1237.jpeg

IMG_1238.jpeg

I was originally going to order the yogurt option for breakfast and frankly wish I had. Wasn't bad, but would have appreciated something lighter.

IMG_1239.jpeg

LOL Although I was pretty excited about my upgrade, I'm sure nobody came here to hear about my flight! Let's see some ITALY!!

IMG_1242.jpeg

Since I'm usually an aisle seat passenger, this was my first time seeing her from air and she is gorgeous!

My flight landed in Rome before 8am. I expected a long time in customs and therefore planned my train to Florence for after 11:50am. I had a looong wait!!  We breezed through immigration - just took our photo and stamped our passport books.  I suppose I could have tried to switch my tickets, but I chose to have a quick bite to eat and wait. Read my kindle. Got questioned by the police.  The usual (that's not a joke, I was questioned here and twice in the airport on the way home.  Don't be surprised if they stop you.)

First night in Florence awaits...

Trusted Contributor

Re: Trip Report - Liguria and Tuscany, Italy (May 2023)

Now we just need @World Traveler to restart posting her travels and it will be just like old times.  She's the one that started this travel forum years ago. 

Esteemed Contributor

Have you heard the phrase "Tik Tok made me buy it"? Well, anything that wasn't part of my Backroads' tour could be said "TripAdvisor made me try it." Hotels, (most) restaurants, and activities were found there.

I stayed at the Continentale near the Ponte Vecchio Bridge and I would stay there again.  I admit it was a little loud being near such a busy area, but it did quiet down later at night. I had the cheapest room as I was traveling on my own, but the bathrooms were a great size. Big shower. 

First night was a food tour (something I often look for). This was the Walking Food Tour of Florence with Tastings with Walking Palates. We met in front of Santa Croce Basilica, which is where Michelangelo and Galileo (as well as other luminaries) are buried.  I've seen their tombs twice before and, as I chose to rest before my tour, I was too late to go again. I do recommend for first timers.

Walking to the tour

IMG_1250.jpeg

IMG_1253.jpeg

IMG_1259.jpeg

The tour 

IMG_1264.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_1279.jpeg

IMG_1283.jpeg

Finally some wine! Don't worry - it was flowing freely in the other stops! 
IMG_1286.jpeg

One of the famous wine windows (and our charming guide)!

IMG_1288.jpeg

We ended the night with gelato and i apparently didn't get a photo!! Shockingly, I didn't eat much gelato this trip and therefore must plan a return trip soon!!

IMG_1292.jpeg

IMG_1287.jpeg

Photo of Ponte Vecchio a few steps from my hotel

IMG_1295.jpeg

Day 1 complete.

Trusted Contributor

I'll be following your trip!

Last April I chaperoned a high school trip to Italy/Greece.  We started in Rome, onto Florence and then took an overnight ferry to Greece. 

In Italy we stopped at Orvieto & Perugia.  Loved it.  This was my 4th trip to Italy.  I could go another 30 times and never be bored.Woman Very Happy

Divertiti!

Respected Contributor

I love Italy and business class looks heavenly!

Esteemed Contributor

Before I continue, I want to apologize for any errors posting.  I'm using my cell phone and don't always look back at what I write.  I've been embarrassed by shocking grammatical errors before, so please forgive me.

getting back...

This was my third time in Florence, the other times via cruise ship stops.  I had never gone into the museums and, having recently read Stephen Fry's Mythos, became mildly obsessed with seeing The Birth of Venus.

I reserved a Uffizi and Accademia Small Group tour with Florence & Global.

On my way to the starting point, I saw many people looking into a doorway.  So many gems in Florence!!

IMG_1305.jpeg

Galleria dell'Accademia

IMG_1321.jpeg

the hall to David is filled with partially finished statues by Michelangelo. They were part of an impossible commission by one of the popes.

IMG_2339.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

Excuse my censorship.  David is considered the epitome of masculine beauty, but you will notice that he's not to scale.  His hand and right foot are huge, for example.  That's because he was originally supposed to be looked at from far below, so the angle would have made sense.IMG_1339.jpeg

This was an imperfect stone that other sculptors didn't want to work with.  Notice the veins in his arms. Incredible.

The tour walked past the Piazza del Duomo

IMG_1357.jpeg

IMG_1356.jpeg

IMG_1360.jpeg

Loved this shop!

IMG_1374.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego   Thank you for sharing.  I've never been to Italy.  I went to Brazil twice, and I LOVED business class.  It really made the long flight very nice!  I'll follow your updates here.  Business class really spoiled me.  Enjoy your trip!

Esteemed Contributor

Gallerie Degli Uffizi

IMG_1392.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

IMG_1398.jpeg

(Worth the trip 😍 Loved it!)

IMG_1414.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1424.jpeg

The tour lasted quite a long time and then I stayed to see a bit of the museum not included in the tour (the Medusa above).  I had plans and ran for a quick bite at La Nicchietta in Calimaruzza

IMG_1432.jpeg

I rushed eating because I had another appointment.  I guess it must be an "in" thing to have a rooftop drink and my hotel was able to oblige.  Reservations necessary and, when I looked, none were available.  The absolutely fantastic concierge got me a seat, with the rooftop staff leaving me a message via WhatsApp (recommended for foreign travel).

La Terrazza

IMG_1437.jpeg

IMG_1434.jpeg

IMG_1435.jpeg

So nice, I had it twice.  Warning - drinks were not cheap! Maybe not worth the cost, but it sure was tasty!

Dinner took me to a restaurant recommended by my guide from the night before (I asked for something near my hotel). Across the river was Golden View Firenze.  And I wanted to try something...different (at least for me).

IMG_1451.jpeg

I can't remember what this was! Possible they changed the menu because I don't recognize it. Enjoyed it though!

IMG_1454.jpeg

Pigeon, because I wanted to try something different and seemed harmless enough.  Unfortunately, was my last time trying pigeon! LOL

IMG_1455.jpeg

Pistachio cake.

the view was beautiful and, although the food was good, I feel like you can get better in Florence.  I did have a sense of deja vu as I'm sure I ate here years ago with my mother on our first European cruise (thanks to Rick Steves.)

Esteemed Contributor

My final full day in Florence was also the first Sunday of the month and, therefore, museums were free.  I slept in a bit and then made my way to Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens. I can only assume the other museums were packed; o TUINK this is a great choice for some smaller crowds.

I also only went to the residences portion of Pitti.  There is apparently an art gallery as well, but, as usual, my time was short.

IMG_1469.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1488.jpeg

IMG_1497.jpeg

(I should do a post of all the ceilings!!)

IMG_1507.jpeg

IMG_1509.jpeg

IMG_1527.jpeg

IMG_1531.jpeg

IMG_1550.jpeg

IMG_1555.jpeg

Apparently all I do is eat.  I had to leave for my late lunch reservation  at Degusteria Italiana agli Uffizi.  Excellent; highly recommended.

IMG_1584.jpeg

Don't let the empty seats fool you.  This was at the end of my lunch and it was late. Nevertheless, it seemed possible to walk in at lunch.  Not sure about dinner.

IMG_1573.jpeg

Their wine list. Seriously.

IMG_1575.jpeg

Tagliolini with black truffle

IMG_1578.jpeg

I wanted something light and pigeon scared me from ordering anything "unusual" again.  This was excellent, but was pretty much the same texture.  Sardinian pecorino DOP flan, aspart, potatoes, mint and lemon.

IMG_1580.jpeg

I think this is the Namalaka with ruby chocolate, licorice, pomegranate, and pistachio. (I should have taken notes or photos of the menus! LOL)

I had one more thing planned for my last night in Florence...

Esteemed Contributor

Pizza and Gelato Cooking Class at a Tuscan Farmhouse with Walkabout Tours.

This was a last minute addition to my plans as I frankly had none for Sunday nigh! This was absolutely a great tour, but we actually had quite a long walk from the pick up point to the bus (why not say meet at the bus location?) There were also a lot of stairs to the class.  I mention because we had a couple of elderly people with their family group who found it difficult.  They actually stopped midway into the walk to bus and a cab was called to take them to the farmhouse. (Only to be met with more steps).  In spite of that, I think everyone had a great time!

IMG_1599.jpeg

Snack to greet us.

IMG_2338.jpeg

Don't have a great photo of the gelato making portion, but one of our chefs (and volunteer) made some quick lemon granita.

IMG_1610.jpeg

IMG_1626.jpeg

IMG_1629.jpeg

Gelato buffet with everyone's creations and choice of toppings.

IMG_1630.jpeg

Yummy! They later followed up with recipes for everything we made, even telling us we could email with any questions.

And that concludes the Florence portion of my trip.  Will finish with some random photos.

IMG_1444.jpeg

IMG_1565.jpeg

And, if you've been watching QVC for as long as I have, the next few photos should need no explanation.

IMG_1441.jpeg

IMG_1440.jpeg

IMG_1567.jpeg

IMG_1566.jpeg

On to Pisa...