Trusted Contributor

I just got back from two weeks in Italy last Saturday, and I'm still a little jet-lagged Smiley Happy

This was my first trip to Europe, and I brought my 12-year-old son on our vacation with my mom and her boyfriend. We went on a Gate 1 tour, which I highly recommend. This wasn't a relaxing vacation, but it was great because we were able to see so much of the country.

We started in Venice and stayed on Murano island, which was quiet, even in high season. My son loved the glass factory where the artisan made a few glass items for us to see. We also saw Lucca, Florence, Siena (one of our favorites!), Cinque Terre, the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii, Capri, Rome, and Vatican City. The Amalfi Coast was spectacular, and I can't believe I saw the Pieta! We saw the two competing medieval cities of Florence and Siena, and Florence was much, much more crowded than Siena. I was amazed at how much of Pompeii is preserved. Capri was one of our least favorite places. I know that Diane Gilman loves it, but it was just touristy, and I loved all of the history on the trip. Smiley Wink I was amazed at the 600+-year-old buildings throughout the cities that are still being used as museums or government buildings. They obviously don't have ADA there.

St. Peter's Basilica was awesome. Not like, "Awesome, dude!," but completely amazing in its massiveness. The local guide told us that the "popes were great collectors of antiquities." Well, that's the politically correct way of putting it. Smiley Wink

Everything on the tour was well-organized. All breakfasts were included and some lunches and dinners. We didn't have to think about much, and there were informative local guides wherever we went. The buses were comfortable. While 4-star hotels have different standards than what we may expect, only the hotel in Naples was only so-so. 

I bought a cross-body Travelon purse before the trip, and it was great! I didn't have any problems with pick-pockets because I always kept it locked. It also held my wallet, normal purse things, plus the Canon Rebel SL1. I didn't put the camera in a case; it just fit in the purse and was completely fine. I loved having my DSLR in my purse so that it was on hand, and I didn't advertise that I was carrying an expensive camera. I highly recommend doing this.

My son and I were trying to have gelato every day. Smiley Happy We went to the first gelateria in the world (Vivoli in Florence). I'm no gelato connossieur, so I thought the gelato was great everywhere. We went to a local place yesterday at home, a place I thought had good gelato, and it paled in comparison to everything we had in Italy. I didn't believe that was true until I tasted it for myself.

I hope this report helps someone. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@pinkmochi, what a fabulous trip!  Thanks for posting.  I know someone who took a Gate 1 tour and was very pleased.  I now think that I will check them out and maybe take a trip to Italy.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Thank you for your trip report - it sounds fabulous!  I have never heard of a Gate 1 tour. Will have to check them out. 

Trusted Contributor

I forgot to add that we took this trip because my mom was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer in December, and she's a lifetime non-smoker. Italy was on her bucket list, so we quickly arranged the trip. It was quite a bit of money, especially since I had to pay for me and my son, but I wanted my son to have this time with her, and we wanted to make some more memories in a memorable place. 

We were concerned that my mom wouldn't be able to participate in many of the excursions since this trip has a lot - and I mean A LOT - of walking. She's often tired, but she slept on the bus, and the local guides walked slowly and took breaks since there were different ages in the group of 19 (I guess that's small for a tour group, which normally have twice as many people). She was even able to walk the steep streets of Siena in the heat. She did sit out one day and stayed in the hotel while she rested, but another family didn't go to Siena and chose to sleep in and that day. 

So if you're concerned that you won't be able to do all of the walking on this type of trip, know that the guides are accommodating, and you can choose to sit out excursions if you want. 

Honored Contributor

@pinkmochi - I remember you posting about your trip awhile back while shopping (fashions?). Based on your report,  you had a great trip!

We also loved, loved, loved Siena & Firenze.  Tuscany is stunning. I bought an extensive set of beautifully designed stoneware from a small family owned business I found in Siena. Had it shipped directly to my home & we use it daily.

The food & wine was superb everywhere, but especially in Tuscany. We also loved the gelato,  nothing here compares.  And we loved the stone baked super thin crust pizzas. 

Capri is so picturesque,  but I think Lake Como was equally beautiful & less pretentious. Vatican City is a must see. Can't wait for a return trip

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much for posting.  I literally was just looking at Gate 1's website yesterday.  I think many of the Groupon deals are with them.  An email I received yesterday made me wonder what else was available on their direct site and I was surprised by their variety.  Good to read the positive reviews!

Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego If you do go on a Gate 1 tour, they give you 5% off if you pay by check, which was an over $400 savings! They also have deals if you sign up for their emails. My mom and her boyfriend have been on six Gate 1 tours and said that this one was especially good. 

Trusted Contributor

@Chi-town girl Yes, I was shopping for awhile! Smiley Tongue I did see the palm print in several shop windows and brought Iman's palm print tank top. I brought a couple Isaac dresses that were made of soft cotton/spandex that I wore with leather Ecco sneakers and could wear into churches. (I forgot to add to make sure you have shirts that cover your shoulders and skirts that cover your knees.) I also brought a Nikki Poulos dress that covered my knees (I'm 5'2" on a good day) for wearing into churches. I don't recommend shorts since you never know when you'll need your knees covered, so I'm glad that I bought skirts and dresses. I also brought a pair of Iman's palazzo pants and Lisa Rinna's banded pants for dinner to wear with a comfortable tank or dressier T-shirt.  The Ecco T-strap sandals were super comfortable and could be worn to dinner, too. 

I loved the ceramic ware, but I chose a Murano glass necklace instead. Smiley Happy 

I was surprised how much like Northern California Tuscany is. If I didn't know better, I would've thought we were driving through Sunol. (I live just outside Sacramento.)

Honored Contributor

@pinkmochi wrote:

@Chi-town girl Yes, I was shopping for awhile! Smiley Tongue I did see the palm print in several shop windows and brought Iman's palm print tank top. I brought a couple Isaac dresses that were made of soft cotton/spandex that I wore with leather Ecco sneakers and could wear into churches. (I forgot to add to make sure you have shirts that cover your shoulders and skirts that cover your knees.) I also brought a Nikki Poulos dress that covered my knees (I'm 5'2" on a good day) for wearing into churches. I don't recommend shorts since you never know when you'll need your knees covered, so I'm glad that I bought skirts and dresses. I also brought a pair of Iman's palazzo pants and Lisa Rinna's banded pants for dinner to wear with a comfortable tank or dressier T-shirt.  The Ecco T-strap sandals were super comfortable and could be worn to dinner, too. 

I loved the ceramic ware, but I chose a Murano glass necklace instead. Smiley Happy 

I was surprised how much like Northern California Tuscany is. If I didn't know better, I would've thought we were driving through Sunol. (I live just outside Sacramento.)

@pinkmochi - you shopped & planned well! Yes, I think Tuscany is very similar to Napa Valley or the other smaller wine regions in NorCal. I don't think we've driven thru Sunol but we have been to Angels Camp on our way to Ironstone winery to see a Sheryl Crow concert. Love those road trips. Need a return trip to Yosemite!  

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Trusted Contributor

@pinkmochi

I enjoyed reading about your trip. I'm happy to read your family was able to spend some special time together.  

I love Italy, most all of it.  We have a vacation home in San Gimignano, which is located in Tuscany.  I was there from February through early July, with the exception of 2 short trips back home.  My husband is about to retire after working part time for the last few years.  I spend a lot of time alone in Italy. I am never lonely as I've met so many interesting people in our little town. Now I spend about a third of my time there.  Eventually we would like to split out time equally between here and there.