Honored Contributor

Re: Trip Report - England/Wales/Scotland

[ Edited ]

@JudyL I will be VERY surprised if you stay home next year and don't go somewhere. Smiley LOL I think you have the wanderlust in you, just like me. Heart

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

LOL you may be right about the wanderlust!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Saturday - July 8 - Isle of Skye

It was an early morning start today, 8:30, for the Isle of Skye; and it was a long day, returning at 4pm. Lots and lots of driving, but boy oh boy, what beautiful countryside the Highlands and the Isle of Skye have!

I drove by the famed Loch Ness, a fabled lake of many moods, from the sultry to the serene. Beneath its placid surface, the occasional sturgeon has been spotted.

And who hasn't heard the tale of the Loch Ness monster, often spoken of, but seldom seen? The legend of Nessie, though never proven to be real, has a long history. Its first reported sighting was in 565 AD!

When talking with the west coast locals, they say they really think there is something in the Loch, but definitely not a dinosaur. There is Nessie Land, a very touristy stop, and if you talk with the locals long enough, you know that they hope it is never proven there is nothing in the water, as their livelihood depends on people believing there is. So who knows......maybe yes; maybe no.

It is recorded that a 7th century monk said he saw a monster in the water. In addition, reliable people (doctors, bankers, etc.) have been quoted as seeing something.

Not all the wonders of Loch Ness are beneath its surface. The area also has a vibrant bird population, acting as a flight path for sea birds migrating between the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea. It is common to see buzzards circling above the banks of the loch. Although rare, eagles do make an occasional appearance. Also seen from time to time are the increasingly rare ospreys out fishing for a quick bite or two.

I was surprised to learn that Loch Ness is 23 miles long and 1 mile wide. It is the largest fresh water lake in the UK. And I was told that if you add up all the lakes in England and all the lakes in Wales, they would not be as large as Loch Ness, which is over 860 feet deep! The color of the lake remains consistently the same. By the way, the Loch Ness is too cold to swim in. It is reported to be 44 degrees.

While going by the loch, we saw red deer quite a bit. I hear there were some reindeer introduced to the area and are thriving now at a head count of around 100. On the edge of the Loch Ness is a nice photo stop of Urquhart Castle. You can get tickets to go inside. I did not.

The signs when you get up in the Highlands and onward to the Isle of Skye change to writing in Gaelic and Scottish. Gaelic is apparently dying out, although there is one island where the people only speak Gaelic and do not know anything else. I saw a book in a store that was called Learn Gaelic in 12 Weeks. I don't think so. I looked at the words, and I know I would take many more weeks than 12.

I mentioned it to a Scottish lady, and she looked doubtful. She said you would have to use every waking hour of the day for 12 weeks to maybe be able to speak it, but she shook her head while saying it.

I learned about the Jacobites and how they defeated the Spanish. Jacobitism was a political movement in Great Britain and Ireland that aimed to restore the Roman Catholic Stuart King James VII and his heirs to the thrones of England, Scotland, and Wales. Today, you can see references to the Jacobites up in the Highland area. There was a restaurant along the drive called Jac-O-Bite!

I went over the mile-long bridge from the Highlands to the Isle of Skye, spending a few hours driving around and having lunch. There are around 800 islands on the west coast of Scotland, and Skye is the largest. It is 886 square miles. By comparison, Rhode Island is 1,045 square miles (land only). The west coast is known for its seafood. Dolphins, whales, and orcas have been seen along the coast.

The Isle of Skye is considered the jewel of the Inner Hebrides. Often referred to in Gaelic as Eileen a' Cheo (the misty isle), Skye is beautiful with its jagged mountain ridges, placid inlets and bay, and charming villages.

Eilean Donan Castle was a great photo stop. It has been used in many films, perhaps the most famous one was the "Highlander."  It was also featured in the James Bond film "The World is Not Enough." Most recently it was featured in the film "Maid of Honor."

Natural beauty is all around the northern part of Scotland , especially in the form of the Cuillin Mountains, a favorite destination of climbers and hikers alike. These commanding heights can be appreciated at a distance, as seen by traveling the coastlines that wind through the hills and moors, and thru history-rich villages.

The largest Scottish clan all over the world is MacDonald. Then I am told the MacCloud clan is next, but I have never heard that name before.

The weather was really nice, around 55 today. It ranged from cloudy to what they call liquid sunshine, which is slight rain. The sun popped in and out, and it was mostly windy.

The moors looks quite brooding, but I loved the different shades of green all over the place. The air was brisk, but it was nice to have the fresh air.

Last year in Ireland I loved all the green landscape. I would say the difference between Ireland's landscape and Scotland is that the green of Ireland is deeper and the landscape has higher grasses. More moors in Scotland.

There are many places where there are only single lane roads. So sometimes squeezing by a vehicle coming the opposite way was a challenge. Absolutely no passing from cars behind you. I would not want to drive these roads by myself.

Lunch was at Armadale Castle, a ruined country house on Skye. It is the former home of the MacDonalds. A mansion house was first built here around 1790. In 1815 a Scottish baronial style mock-castle, intended for show rather than defense, was built next to the house.

After 1855 the part of the house destroyed by fire was replaced by a central wing. Since 1925 the castle, abandoned by the MacDonald family, has fallen into ruin. The gardens around the castle have been maintained, and are now home to the Clan Donald Centre, which operates the Museum of the Isles.

After lunch I walked around the grounds, which were beautiful with ponds and gardens. I did not go into the museum and just meandered throughout the castle area. It is a 20,000 acre estate and had beautiful walks thru the woodlands.

Overheard in the cafe was someone wanting their bacon to be cooked a certain way. The lady said to the guest: "My husband has been making the bacon for 30 years; it comes as it comes!" Ha! So I guess you don't ask for any special way of cooking your food at that place.

On the way back to Inverness, a stop was made at a Victorian hunting lodge called Ledgowan Lodge. It is a lovely place to have tea and biscuits. It has 12 rooms to stay in and is still decorated as it was in 1904.

The hotel was originally built as a private shooting lodge for Major Ross as part of his 8,500 acre Ledgowan estate. It took six years to complete, being virtually hand built. However, due to the high costs involved in running the estate it was sold to Lord Latymer of Coutts Bank, London.

It remained in the family until the second World War, when the army used it as a barracks for their officers, but keeping it in top condition. After the war, Ledgowan remained empty for around 15 years. It was then discreetly converted into a country house hotel, and separated from the estate, although retaining most of its original charm and character.

I was hoping to get to see Balmoral, the Queen's residence, while in Scotland, after all, she is in Edinburgh! But I understand that it is not anywhere close. Same with the castle the Queen Mother used as her home, the Castle Mey, but it is further north than I am at this time.

At a stop I saw Cloted Cream Fudge! I resisted and did not buy it.

You might find the following interesting, found in a Scottish book I was reading in a book store. It said the ideal wedding present is a hen! That is the Scottish tradition. You should give to the bride's mother, to cook and serve to her guests as part of the wedding feast. She will have a party in the kitchen too, as she cooks with her female friends and helpers....the original hen party!

Other Scottish courtship and wedding traditions include:

Bundling - Get into bed with your boyfriend or girlfriend, but fully dressed and with your legs bound together. That way you can spend all night cuddling, but nothing more!

Handfasting (trial wedding) - A public promise to be true to your loved one, and live with them for a year as if you were married. After that, you can marry (especially if there is a baby on the way) or part in a friendly honorable way.

Reitach (Gaelic betrothal) - Go to your girlfriend's house and ask her father for permission to marry. If he agrees, you and your girlfriend must drink whisky from a special bridal cup together. Now you are engaged. It is official!

Wear a wedding ring - Not a gold band, but a ring shaped like clasped hands, on your right thumb or ring finger.

Wait for a new moon to hold your wedding ceremony, but never marry in May. It is sacred to the Virgin Mary.

Here are some more Scottish words/terms:

Trauchled = tired and bothered
Wee = small; hear this a lot; it was a wee bit of porridge I had this morning
Sair = sore
Slider = ice ream between wafers
Poke = paper bag
Guid = good
Fernitickles = freckles
Close = narrow passage between buildings
Bothy = farm cottage
Aye = always

I just found out that July is National Ice Cream Month and July 16 is National Ice Cream Day! I love ice cream and I try to make sure I get a scoop every day while on vacation! Just doing my part to celebrate appropriately.

Tomorrow I plan to visit Culloden Moor to learn more about the Jacobite uprising. I also want to see Brodie Castle. And if I have time I will try to get over to the Inverness Museum and Art Gallery. Clan Donald is said to have burned the town at least seven times, while Bonnie Prince Charlie's forces destroyed the fort here in 1745. So the museum would have a lot of interesting information to take in.

Respected Contributor

You certainly packed a lot into the day, World Traveler. I'm with you, I wouldn't want to drive those single lane roads.

When we took our Globus your we did drive past Castle Mey though you couldn't see much from the road. The tour director said the Queen Mother used to have a small table and chair carried to a wooded area where she could see the road but no one could see her.  She'd chuckle at the tourists craning their necks looking down the drive hoping to catch a glimpse of her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thought this was hilarious! I sent the top photo to a friend, showing the ad in a magazine and saying it was how I flew on British Airlines coming over here. I said that I had never flown other than coach, and that I had no jet lag when I arrived when I could sleep like this. This is exactly how my seat went into a lying position.

The person emailed me back with the bottom photo and said: "And this is how they were sleeping in coach!"  LOL!!!  Oh, I know it only too well. 

By the way, this is so weird that I can post these photos but nothing taken on my camera or iPhone of the places I am seeing. I just tried to attach one of them to this post, to see if it is working yet, and no.....it keeps telling me the file I want to insert is too big. And I am trying to send them either medium or small size. Bummer!

IMG_2106.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sunday - July 9 - Culloden Moor - Brodie Castle

Spent quite a bit of the day on a bus to see the moor and castle. There is a great museum and actual battlefield of the Jacobite war that is so inseparable from this region's identity. It is called the Culloden Moor Battlefield, which is where the last major battle was fought on mainland Britain. Oh, yes, there were bombs dropped on London and other places many years later, but this particular war was the last battle fought hand-to-hand.

The final Jacobite upraising, and their efforts to restore the House of Stuart to the British throne, ended here on April 16, 1746, when Government forces led by the Duke of Cumberland crushed the army of Prince Charles Edward Stuart.

I saw the reconstructed turf and stone dikes that played a crucial part of the battle. On the site I was able to view the graves of the clans, the Well of the Dead, the Memorial Cairn, the Cumberland Stone, and the Field of the English. I walked all over the battlefield, spending around two hours at the place.

They also had a visitor center that had a great eight-minute film that recreated the battle. You stand in the middle of the room and on all four walls the battle is taking place with you right in the way! Very effective. Their self-guided museum was well done, giving you a lot of information on the reason for the uprising. I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent at Culloden Moor.

While this specific spot was not used for the filming of the Highlander, some other properties were featured in the television show. For instance, the Falkland Palace and Garden in Fife was used as Inverness in the 1940's and 1950's. The village of Culross in Fife was the fictional village of Cranesmuir where Gellis Duncan lived. The garden of Culross Place was featured as Claire's herb garden at Castle Loch in Season 1. And in Season 2, the town was the background for the Jacobite encampment and makeshift field hospital scenes.

I had to laugh when I saw a sign on the road to these places that said Weak Bridge as you were about to cross over it. Evidently one lady sometime ago start screaming out when she saw her bus was starting to go over the bridge. She yelled that it was not safe, that they should stop and turn around. So the driver told her that in this part of the country, the bridge's name is pronounced WE-AK, not weak. That calmed her down. The thing is that the bridge really is called a weak bridge, which means it can only hold so many tons of weight, which is mentioned right below that sign. In this case, the bridge could hold up to 17 tons. But the only way she would get calm is if she thought the pronunciation was anything but the sound of the word weak! Ha!

Not too far away was an area of ancient burial grounds, stones that have been standing for around 3,000-4,000 years. It is called Balnuran of Clava and is a prehistoric cemetery.

I had a lovely tour of the 16th-century Brodie Castle, the historic seat of Clan Brodie, one of Scotland's National Trust, and much of the interior is carefully restored and preserved to resemble things as they might have been in the medieval heyday of the clan. Outside the castle walls, a nature trail offers opportunity for a peaceful stroll thru the well-manicured landscape.

The library in the castle has around 6,500 books, which were very interesting to look over. There was a Van D-y-k-e painting in the library, and many original carpets throughout. I went up all three stories of the castle and saw the nursery, main bedrooms, and bathrooms that seemed quite large compared to other castles I have been in. The place has a nice gift shop and tea room, where small sandwiches, soup, and other goodies were enjoyed.

I drove by, but did not see, Gordonstoun, the school that the Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Charles attended. It is a boarding school, and the locals will tell you that the prince hated it and definitely had a falling out with his father for having sent him there. Consequently, his sons, Prince William and Prince Harry, did not attend. It is said that the school does such things as keep the windows open in the sleeping rooms, even though it is extremely cold and harsh outside. Prince Charles sent his sons to Eton. I do remember reading about Prince Charles' distain for the school.

Although the above took up most of the day, it would have been nice to get some shopping in. But a lot of the nice little quaint shops are closed on Sundays. Particularly in the island areas, the people are very religious and keeping the stores closed on the Sabbath is very important to them.

Here are some more Scottish words/terms:

Bap = bread roll
Clan = tribe bearing same surname
Cookie = bun
Crowdle = cream cheese
Cry = call, as in "what do you cry him?"
Flesher = butcher
Forenoon = morning
Glen - valley
Hurl = wheel along, ride in a car, bus, etc.
Kirk = church

Tomorrow I am off to Glasgow.

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler 

We are enjoying your detailed travel journal very much! 

The lower face plant photo reminds me of the old days in England where one could hang on the ropes to sleep while sitting on a bench.  I saw this on the PBS Slumhouse series.  

Our Son has been visiting for a few days and needs a carry on size suitcase. We sent him out with his Dad's Discover Card (yes he is a trustworthy Eagle Scout) . Anyway I am reporting in that he found a very nice SAMSONITE /Wheelie carry on at a great price and on sale at TJ MAXX.  I told DH that he needs to go suitcase  shopping at that store too! <G> 

Son and Girlfriend just left heading back up to TN.  We had a nice visit but I will admit I am tired, extra folks mean extra energy required  no matter how you work it.  We have upstairs guest rooms /bath and den/drum room  with independent AC/Heat so we were all comfortable. Our room/bath is downstairs off the kitchen. That upstairs space is great when we have folks staying with us and comes in handy. 

We bought DH a new set of PING golf clubs (HIS CHOICE of course) for Father's Day and gave the very nice used COBRA  set to our Son so both got *new* clubs and are happy golfers . 

Son has business travel coming up to Kansas City and DC and PA  and then he is moving into a new apartment end of July!  (WHOA!)     DH has a trip to South Dakota soon.   

We have a car/business/golf trip planned to the  GA COAST in September I am looking forward to.  Starting my  **LISTS**  TAKE / DO !! 

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Valued Contributor

@gacat123

I, too, bought a three-piece Samsonite luggage set @TJ Maxx plus many travel accessories for my first international trip.  My luggage color is so unique that it is very easy to spot on the airport carosel.  You are right in telling your DH to go to TJ Maxx because of the wide selection at fairly reasonable prices.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Monday - July 10 - On the way to Glasgow

At first I wondered if there would be anything to write about; after all, it is a bus ride from Inverness to Glasgow, so what is there to say? So, this is just going to be a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

Going to Glasgow thru the scenic landscapes of Glencoe, Loch Lomond, and Trossachs was one of the best days for seeing how beautiful Scotland is. Passing thru the town of Fort William gave a magnificent setting of the shores of Loch Linnhe and the rolling mountain scenery.

I was able to see a lot of the places where films are made. One of the James Bond movies, Skyfall, was shot here where Dame Judy Dench came to her end. This is in the Aonach Mor area.

You would think Braveheart was filmed here, but it was made in Ireland! The Monty Peyton movie, Life of Brian, was filmed in an area I saw. Prisoner of Askaban, a Harry Potter film, was also filmed in the Highland area.

At a stop along the way, I spotted a mobile bank. Thought that was really interesting. In talking with a local, I found that the mobile bank goes to the areas that are so far away from banking facilities. Many of the people do not have transportation to drive the long distance to a bank, so the mobile bank is really great for them. It is a van and has a locked area in it that does not allow even the driver to open. Plus, if someone just takes it over and drives off with it, it has GPS tracking.

I asked about the lovely green landscape I have seen the entire time I have been in Scotland and asked if it is always this way. Yes, it is; however, several years ago, they did not have as much rain and people were asked to budget their water use. Otherwise, it does not matter if it is winter, spring, summer, or fall; everything is very green and lush.

I heard someone say they weren't looking forward to having chicken ding. I said: "What?" The answer was the same.......chicken ding. What is that? It is when a chicken dinner is put in the microwave, and when it is finished.......DING! The microwave's way of telling you it is done. Ha!

Drove thru a lovely area in Sterling County or Stirlingshire. The national park there has beautiful lakes and the trees are very thick in that area.

Stopped at a place where I saw Poo-Pourri, like QVC sells. Guess it is all over the world!

Bought a book called Jessie's Journey, by Jess Smith. It is the first of a trilogy about her life as a gypsy/traveler in Scotland. After seeing them camped in the fields and hearing so much about them, I thought it would be interesting to read about their life from their point of view. The other two books are called Tales from the Tent and Tears for a Tinker. There is another book called Way of the Wanderers, which tells the moving story of travelers in Scotland.

Had a short stop at the Commando Memorial, which is dedicated to the memory of all Commandos who gave their lives in the service of Scotland during the 1939-1945 war. One of the best memorials I have seen since the one in Belfast, Northern Ireland, for those who died during the Troubles.

I found out a little bit more about the Scottish meals. First off, going to a restaurant was not something the Scottish did a lot of for many years. They wanted traditional foods and didn't want someone else make it or them have to pay for it.

The national dish is considered to be mince and tatties, which is minced meat and mashed potatoes. Haggis and tatties is also considered to be a favorite dish of the Scottish. The upper class of people eat venison.

Breakfast will consist of bacon, sausage, eggs, haggis, tattie scones shaped in a triangle, and maybe some Scotch broth. Stovies are leftover meat, made with tatties and onions. Dessert is a very heavy fruitcake with custard.

They like fish, preferably haddock with chips (French fries). The English like their fish to be cod. When the Scottish say they are having a fish supper, it is fish and chips.

Coming into Glasgow, along the Clyde River, I found out that the original Queen Mary, the one now in Long Beach, was built here. They have built other great ships.

The British were the first to abolish the slave trade. Did not know that.

Unfortunately for me, I only have one night in Glasgow, so only a fast drive thru the city was all I got a glimpse of. I fly to London early tomorrow morning (July 11) and connect to Stockholm, Sweden. I will be going on a cruise around the Baltic Sea, visiting seven countries: Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Russia, Poland, and Denmark. If you are interested in reading about that trip, I will be posting my experiences in a few days.

Until then, thanks for coming along with me on this trip. I hope you enjoyed reading about England, Wales, and Scotland. I enjoyed all three, but must say I am kind of partial to Scotland. I look forward to putting my photo book together when I get home so I can enjoy my time here over and over.

And if I can ever figure out how to get post some of the pictures I took, I'll be sure to share them with you.

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler

I loved all your trip reports on England/Wales/Scotland. Looking forward to reading your Baltic Sea trip report!