QVC Customer Care

Re: Trip Report - England/Wales/Scotland

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

This is the optional tour i am most looking forward too!  I love castles!  

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler. Thank you for your reports, they are very informative. Glad you are enjoying your trip.

Respected Contributor

World Traveler:   I sooooo enjoyed reading about your time in York and Whitby.    We lived in England (Devon) for 5 years and York was our favorite place and we went there several times .   A few years ago we went back for xmas and spent 10 fabulous days there .   Reading your post took me back to a place we love.  Thank you.   

Respected Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

Try to eat at "Belgo Centraal", it is a Belgian chain, at least you can have some good food and desert! Provided you like Belgian food.

Enjoy!!!

I'm sorry, are you implying that you can't get good food in London unless it's at a Belgian chain?   I certainly hope not, because London and all of England for that matter has some of the best food in the world.

That is exactly what I am saying. To my England is not a culinary destination. I go there for history.  Small French cafe and this Belgian chain saved me there from those kidney pies,greasy chips and bad bad beer ( warm and flat).

The only good English  meals we had were absolutely beautiful breakfasts ( because we stayed at very high end hotel "Royal Horse-guards") and we had a marvelous high tea at our hotel  also served with special French champagne and caviar.

Otherwise, when you seek great food on your trip  France is numero uno for me followed by Italy and Spain.

Sorry, just my opinion.

ps. Clotted cream is yummy 

OH my, there is so much more to food in England than kidney pie and fish and chips.   We lived there for 5 years and had delicious food.  We've been back several times and had wonderful food (and I'm a picky eater).  I'm sorry you missed it.

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler

Looking forward to your Lake District and farm visit review!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

Tuesday - July 3 - Farm Visit - Yorkshire Dales National Park - Lake District

(have no idea why there is a spoiler mark above; do not know how to remove it. ) Smiley Sad

Today was a travel day, taking me out of wonderful York and thru the remote villages and rolling hills of the beautiful Yorkshire Dales National Park. The landscape has been immortalized by the writings of James Herriot in books, such as All Creatures Great and Small and It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet. Both of these works led to the creation of one of Britain's longest-running TV series, whose 90 episodes portray the challenges facing rural communities, and is still relevant today.

At a local working dairy farm today, anyone from America walking around the land to see how the cows were milked were instructed to put on supplied booties, plastic covers for your shoes. I thought it was nice of them to supply the booties, because it was for you to be able to tell the Custom people at the airport that your shoes were not on farmland. This they do only for Americans, I think. Maybe there are other countries that are as strict with their custom practices, but was glad I was able to put those on. 

Upon leaving the place, you walked into a padded area of disinfectant, then took off the booties and again walked onto a disinfectant pad with your shoes touching the disinfectant this time, double ensuring that you did not take anything of the farm with you.

The landowner had his very young border collie show how to herd the sheep. He is not 100% good at it though. Ha! The owner says he has about 2-3 more months of training. He was more interested in herding the donkey and the goat than the sheep!

A lunch was provided up in a hayloft and was quite good. Sitting on bales of hay, the lunch was cheese, ham, a roll, salad, etc. It was actually a very nice atmosphere, albeit, there was the smell of the cows!

From there I went to the Lake District, another national park, famed for its mountain scenery and picturesque lakes. Such a beautiful and awesome place to visit. 

It did not take long to realize why it was this scenery that so moved Wordsworth and Keats, inspiring the British Romantic Movement of the 19th century and the Victorian writer of children's stories, Beatrix Potter, who made up stories about her animals. I passed thru Grasmere, which is where Wordsworth is buried. 

Another place driven by today was Harrogate, which is a small spa resort town. It is here that Agatha Christie disappeared to, getting away for a while from a marriage that was not good. I believe it was in December 1926, but not sure. I have every single book she wrote and love going thru them again from time to time, and was curious to know about her disappearance, and to finally see where she went. She left her home in Surrey, I believe, driving her car to the train station, and that was where she was last seen. What she did, though, was to come to Harrogate and check into the Swan Hotel, just to get away and think things thru. Funny thing is that she signed in as Teresa Neil, who was her husband's mistress. When she was found out, she returned home to her husband. Who knows how long she might have stayed there if someone had not spotted her.

An incident that happened in the area of the Yorkshire Dales National Park in 2007 was interesting to me. A father and son went walking out in the fields with their metal detectors, like many other times. But this time they found 617 Viking coins and jewelry. They were allowed to sell everything and split the profits with the landowner. The total was 1 million, 82 thousand pounds! It is said that the sale of metal detectors went up after that! 

I drove by the town of Skipton. If that does not ring a bell, then maybe the movie The Calendar Girls will. It was filmed here locally and was based upon a true story of the ladies club in Skipton. It was about the club trying to raise money for, I think, cancer. They had raised money in the past, but they wanted to do more. One of them came up with the idea of putting out a calendar of them naked, with fruit, gardening implements, etc., covering their more private parts. Each one would represent a different month. It was a hilarious movie! I found out that recently they were to meet to celebrate some important date of the club and Miss April, Miss May, and Miss September were not invited because they had a "falling out" with the rest of the members. Ha!

Little tidbits of information I learned today:

1. The Yorkshire men are not generous with their money. They are very careful with their "brass."

2. The British are 50/50 on the reason for the divorce between Princess Diana and Prince Charles. Some blame him (he talks to his plants too much, they say), and others say that she should have known, even at the age of 19, what kind of life she could expect (little support, rigid rules, etc.), since her grandmother was a lady-in-waiting to the Queen, her brother-in-law also worked directly for the Queen, and she had been raised among the gentry and Royal society. But everyone still adores her and are glad to see that the Queen is making great efforts to give Kate more support and leeway.

3. People do see that Charles is making up in many ways for how badly people were feeling toward the Royals, and the biggest way is that he has cut the Civil List, which used to pay for all the relatives' living expenses. So there were cousins, uncles and aunts, etc., who had a free house to live in and expenses. Now, not even Princess Anne, Prince Edward, or Prince Andrew and their families are covered with their expenses; only people getting living expenses are Charles and his descendants, the Queen and her husband.

4. There is a coffee shop in Settle called The Naked Man. The reason it is called that is because it used to be a morgue and the naked man was the man on the slab waiting for his funeral.

5. Gypsies are called travelers in England (also Ireland). They stop wherever they want to, on anyone's land, and there is not much the landowner can do about it. They are not very clean, they leave a lot of trash, and if the landowner complains about it, the local police are not much help, and they usually take 2-3 days to act upon a complaint. The travelers usually leave after a few days. The travelers are mostly from Romanian descent, but there are some Irish ones too.

6. Passed thru Ingleton, which is known for spelunking, or pot holing, as it is called locally. I think it would be fun to go pot holing, don't you?

7. The three Bronte sisters lived in the Yorkshire Dales area. I saw the school they attended. Two of them, Charlotte and Emily, are buried locally. Ann was taken to another town because she had great respiratory problems, died, and was buried in that town (do not recall what the name of it is).

8. Prime Minister Tony Blair - not well liked by the British, from what I can tell. They feel he was a puppet of President Bush and got them into wars they should not have been in.

9. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher - they are not fond of her either, except for the strong stance she took on the Falklands situation. It is commonly agreed that if there had been any other prime minister at the time, the Falklands situation would still be going on. And they agree that because of the final outcome of the Falklands, that it cinched the re-election of her as prime minister soon thereafter.

10. The Lake District receives the most rain in England, up to five feet has been recorded. It was a beautiful, sunny day when I was there. It is considered a holiday destination, and it is not hard to understand why. Gorgeous!

11. England (maybe all of Britain, no sure) has road signs in miles, not kilometers. I would have thought it would be kilometers. Just surprised me to see everything identified as to how many miles until a town would be reached.

Tonight I stay at the Tebay Hotel out in the middle of nowhere. I think it is in Cumbria, but not sure. There are hundreds of acres around me, all beautifully green and lush. There are sheep roaming around the hotel, and you can hear no traffic from cars, buses, trains, or trucks! Should be a very restful night.

It is my last night in England, as tomorrow I head for Scotland. Really looking forward to visiting Scotland.

Respected Contributor

What a wonderful tour. I would have enjoyed more time in Yorkshire. Can't wait to hear about Scotland.

Honored Contributor

Tuesday - July 4 - Happy 4th of July! - Lake District - Edinburgh, Scotland

Last night was probably the best sleep I have gotten for the whole trip. I checked my Garmin Tracker from QVC and noted that I had over 4 hours of deep/REM sleep and the rest of the time was light sleep, with only 8 minutes of being awake. I don't think I have ever had that much deep sleep. I know it has to do with the fact that I was sleeping way out in the countryside, in the middle of a sheep ranch.

Of course, when you are way out in the middle of nowhere, Internet and phone service aren't the best, but it was wonderful not to hear a bunch of car horns, buses, trucks, or late night party people make a lot of noise. This was the Tebay Hotel and the total silence and no street lights were really wonderful.

After a quick breakfast, I headed off for Edinburgh, Scotland, where I stay for three nights at the Hilton Edinburgh Carlson. On the way, I stopped for lunch in the Scottish border town of Moffat, which is famous for its toffee and annual sheep races. It was called a Sunday lunch, even though it is Tuesday. Evidently a typical Sunday lunch is roast beef, so that is what I had with Yorkshire Pudding, mashed carrots, cabbage, and what I think were parsnips. Dessert was bread and butter pudding. Yummy!

In discussions with a Scottish lady, I learned that the reason so many people wanted the UK to remove itself from the European Union had to do with several issues over the past 15 years, but the tipping point for them was the mass immigration of people who were not being vetted. The UK has always required a visa from the countries where the immigrants were coming from, and also background checks were always done. But now, because they were part of the EU, they were to just let the people in without checking them out.

They also did not like that people in Brussels, who they did not vote for, were making decisions for them. I found the younger people wanted to stay in the Union, but the older ones did not. I believe the vote to get out of the Union won by only around 52%. I could be wrong on that percentage, but do know it was not a large difference.

I stopped by Hadrian's Wall. Frankly, I had never heard of it before. Hadrian's Wall, also called the Roman Wall, Picts' Wall, or Vallum Hadriani in Latin, was a defensive fortification in the Roman province of Britannia, begun in AD 122 in the reign of the emperor Hadrian. It was 73 miles long, 8 to 10 feet wide, and took 6 years to build. Parts of it still stand, although you can see where locals have taken some of the stone barriers to use on their property for various things. The wall had a small fort every Roman mile (do not know how long a Roman mile is), and it had sentry posts between the forts.

Saw some more gypsies/travelers. Learned that they marry very young, but have strict rules in the way of chaperoning their kids. They do like to get married in a church, if they can find someone to marry them. The travelers I saw today had some pretty nice vehicles pulling their trailers. The other day I only saw vans pulling the trailers. It appears they just want to live their own life and not follow the rules of other people or government.

Drove near Lockerbie, the place where Pan Am #103 came down because of a bomb Libya placed on it exploded. Wanted to stop by the memorial, but there was a funeral service was going on.

Was also near Gretna Green, which is a village in the south of Scotland famous for runaway weddings. It is near the River Esk and was historically the first village in Scotland, following the old coaching route from London to Edinburgh. It is said that girls could get married at the age of 12 and boys at the age of 14. I believe you have to be a little older now. They used to not have to get their parents' approval, but am not sure if that part of it has changed.

It rained most of the day, but because it was mostly a driving day to get to Edinburgh, it really didn't matter. Very lovely rolling, green hills the whole time.

Some more words for you:
Hoovering = vacuuming
Bumbags = fanny packs
Lift = elevator
Lorry = truck
Caravan = trailer
Crips = potato chips
Biscuits = cookies
Banger = sausage
Bacon butty = bacon roll
Petrol = gasoline
Summer room or conservatory = glassed-in porch
Solicitor = lawyer
Barrister = tries cases in the high courts; wears the white wigs
Mind the door = heard on elevators when it is about to close

A little unhappy with the Queen. I had planned to go see Holyrood Palace while in town, but it is closed due to an event involving the Queen. The traffic was very busy when I arrived in Edinburgh, and some people were just driving away after what looked like a tea party. Ladies all dolled up with their fancy hats! I understand the place will be closed to the public for several days.

The palace was completed in 1501 and was the site of the marriage of Mary, Queen of Scots and Lord Darnley in 1565, and of much subsequent intrigue. Less than a year later, the jealous Darnley had Mary's private secretary murdered at the Palace in Mary's presence!

I thought it was interesting that so many people wished me a very Happy 4th of July, considering the reason for the day has to do with not wanting to have anything to do with Great Britain! Ha! But it was nice. I love to travel and see as many countries as I can and get to know the customs and thoughts/feelings of other citizens of the world, but I am always glad to go back to the United States. I am proud to be an American!

Tomorrow I will be going on a city tour and hope to see Edinburgh Castle.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

Great report on the last couple of days.  Are you doint the post-trip extension to the Highlands?