Honored Contributor

Trip Report - England/Wales/Scotland

Hi, everyone! Made it to London, the first leg of my trip. Just wanted to check in to let you know that I arrived safe and sound.

It was the first time I have flown on British Airways and I enjoyed it. However, I must state that it was also the first time I have traveled Business Class. WOW!! Okay, it is going to be hard to go back to coach, I tell you that! Being able to lay completely flat and sleep well is the only way to do these long-distance flights. Fortunately, there was a special deal to upgrade to BC and I grabbed it. Checked out if there is something similar for me when I go to Japan in March, and sad to say, upgrading on that flight would be way out of my ballpark! 

@JudyL just to warn you that when you come here this fall, the transfer from Heathrow to the hotel (Tower, if they use the same one) is around a two hour drive. Even with a good flight, I was pretty anxious to get to the hotel and settle in and the drive was not fun. The guy driving me was taken unaware by a driver swerving over to us and he slammed on the brakes. My head hit the back of his seat and I was sporting a headache for the rest of the evening. Oh, well; at least his new car wasn't hit, and the other driver did stop and check to see if we were okay. He admitted he was just trying to use his phone and wasn't paying attention. Grrrrr!

Will write more as things unfold. Am going to do some walking around today and check out the various sights. Will report back as often as I can and include photos.

Oh, the weather here when I arrived was around 85 degrees. I don't mind that; however, it is my understanding that the people around here do not have air conditioning, as it is normally not that warm. So the hotel room was uncomfortable to sleep in until early morning. Supposed to be cooler today.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Trip Report - England/Wales/Scotland

@World Traveler, Great to hear you arrived safely and arrived well rested.  Wow, glad that you weren't seriously hurt ... when will people learn to not use the phone while driving.  Enjoy your trip.

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler, glad that you are there safely, even with the unfortunate headache.  Enjoy your trip.  Looking forward to trip reports.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Glad you arrived safely, World Traveler.

In 04 on our first overseas trip it was very hot and out hotel was not air conditioned. Sleeping was definitely not comfortable. Two days later when we reached York it was cold and windy.

Looking forward to your photos and reports.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler

Glad you made it safe and sound - except for your headache.  Originally GCT had put me on a British Airways flight but I asked them to change to United because I didn't want to lose the miles.  Now I'm wondering if I should have stayed with British Airways!  LOL 

2 hours!  Goodness be where is that airport?!  Thanks for letting me know.  I will be staying at the same hotel you are.

Have fun today walking around and be careful!

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

I'm glad to read you had a great upgraded flight.  Occasionally my husband surprises me with an upgrade, and you are so right, it's tough to go back to economy (steerage)

My sister and I took a Trafalgar tour in late November through early December.  Unlike past trips where we boarded a bus or van for hotel transport, we were met with a sign and a new Mercedes.  It was about 45 minutes (morning rush hour) to our hotel at the Marble Arch.

We've been in London several times in summer and it's always been HOT.  They tell us they just had delightful spring weather and suddenly it's turned hot. Their AC is anything but American-like.

Have a fun and safe trip!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello again! Well, much cooler today. Felt like around 75, maybe a little bit more. Cool winds would come up and I was feeling much better with that. 

Basically did a lot of orientation today. A lot of walking to places and a lot of disappointment that everything seems to be under construction.

I went on a double decker bus (love those!), sat up on top and even though the traffic was bad, it was wonderful to see everything I have heard about......Harrods (which I understand is not so upscale anymore), Big Ben (under renovation), Buckingham Palace (from down the Mall...will see it closer in a couple of days), Westminster Abbey (WOW! So beautiful inside!), 10 Downing Street (where the police showed me how to get a better view...not perfect, but better), and where the royal horses are kept. 

It was good timing to be able to see the horses going for the changing of the guard, although I didn't actually see the change. They were coming out of the guard house, and walked right by me. I will attach a photo of that.

Got a great experience coming back from that area of town to the Tower area (St. Catherine's Dock) by using the Tube (subway). Could not find the right bus to take back to the hotel, so some nice gentleman showed me the way to the Tube. I already had one of those Oyster passes to use for all my transportation, so it was quite easy to do. In fact, from what I understand, the buses and the Tube do NOT accept cash. You must have one of the passes that are prepaid. 

P1020831.JPG

Honored Contributor

I am trying to post some other photos of well-known places, but it says my file is too big. Keep trying, but even though I try to insert the photos smaller, the thread says it is too large. I had photos of the Palace, Big Ben, Westminster, etc. Sorry they are not uploading at this time. Smiley Sad

Will try again tomorrow.

Respected Contributor

I LOVE London! One of my favorite places! 

The last time I was there, I stayed at the Royal Horseguards. I had a riverview room that looked out over the Thames, almost directly across from the London Eye. It was outstanding! I couldn't sleep on the flight over (the layflat seats on DL's 767's are incredibly hard, narrow and coffin-like) so I stayed up most of the night chatting with a couple of the FA's.  They gave me a couple of bottles of champagne just before landing. When the bellhop showed me to my room, I mentioned that I'd like to have them chilled. He said they'd make sure they were perfectly chilled, and returned to me "at your command, madam", along with champagne flutes. I said that the wine glasses in the room were fine, and he was aghast at the idea of drinking champagne from ordinary wine glasses. 

I'd gone to visit my nephew, who was doing study abroad at Central St. Martins in art & design. The 2nd day I was there, he turned up with not only coffee and croissants for breakfast, but his full shower kit. Apparently he hadn't had a hot shower the entire time he'd been there (this was in February and he went over on January 1st) and he took full advantage of my rainfall shower and all the other amentities.

Enjoy your trip!

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

I am trying to post some other photos of well-known places, but it says my file is too big. Keep trying, but even though I try to insert the photos smaller, the thread says it is too large. I had photos of the Palace, Big Ben, Westminster, etc. Sorry they are not uploading at this time. Smiley Sad

Will try again tomorrow.

This is what happens to me.  As you know, I use my phone to upload photos.  I've found that if I take a screenshot of my iPhone photo, that it decreases the size and makes it loadable.  However, I need to change the dimensions so the photo doesn't have black border, which may change the focus of the photo.  Then I can delete the 2nd photo once it's on here.

Maybe someone knows of a better way to help us both, but this is what I currently do when there's a size issue.  Hope that helps.