Respected Contributor

Re: Trip Report - Empress of the Seas 5/20/17 (Key West, Havana, and Cozumel)

@Alter Ego

Your travelogue and pictures were both interesting and enjoyable.  I never thought I'd say I wanted to visit Cuba but recently my husband and I have been discussing it.

Was that really "all" of your room?

Esteemed Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

Was that really "all" of your room?

More or less.  This is a very old ship and does not reflect a modern stateroom.  Was comfortable, but I can't imagine four people in here!!  The rest of it:

IMG_3394.JPG

IMG_3395.JPG

IMG_3396.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

As the comedian commented: the room saved his life.  He fell in the shower and luckily hit the bed!!

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

One of the most anticipated things about cruising from Tampa is going under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.  Takes a little over two hours to get here; we went under around 6:15.  Has anyone driven over this bridge? I'm not sure I would like to!

IMG_3445.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3457.JPG

I've driven over the bridge MANY times, and HATE it. Scares the living daylights out of me! 

As you're coming out of Tampa Bay, Anna Maria Island is just off to your left (southern end of the bay). It's always fun to sit on the balcony and watch the cruise ships come out in to the Gulf. The evening departures are always lit up like a Christmas tree! 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Contributor

@Alter Ego Hi, I was so interested to see your posts because my daughter-in-law & 14 year old granddaughter are in Cuba right now! My son's family lives in Key West, & our granddaughter's 8th grade class decided to visit Cuba as a graduation trip. First they were planning to fly to Havana & spend 4 days, but then it was decided they would take an 8 day cruise out of Miami, visiting 3 ports: Havana (2 days), Cienfuego (1 day), Santiago de Cuba (1 day). They just left Havana this evening. Today they were taking a bus to visit a coffee plantation. She posted some pictures of their 1st day last night -- they both seem to be enjoying the trip so far!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lainie T wrote:

@Alter Ego Hi, I was so interested to see your posts because my daughter-in-law & 14 year old granddaughter are in Cuba right now! My son's family lives in Key West, & our granddaughter's 8th grade class decided to visit Cuba as a graduation trip. First they were planning to fly to Havana & spend 4 days, but then it was decided they would take an 8 day cruise out of Miami, visiting 3 ports: Havana (2 days), Cienfuego (1 day), Santiago de Cuba (1 day). They just left Havana this evening. Today they were taking a bus to visit a coffee plantation. She posted some pictures of their 1st day last night -- they both seem to be enjoying the trip so far!

What an interesting trip!  There were a few 14 year olds on my cruise as well.

If you remember, would love to get their impressions of the different ports.

Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

IMG_3457.JPG

I've driven over the bridge MANY times, and HATE it. Scares the living daylights out of me! 

I can't even imagine!  I don't really think much about driving, but then, every so often, I'll go over a high overpass and it will put me on edge.  And, it's not like you can close your eyes LOL!!  I was driving to work today and there was a crazy driver cutting in and out of traffic - I expect that I would be able to handle driving something like this bridge as long as the other drivers are staying in their own lane (and I'm safely in the lane farthest away from the edge!)

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva - loved hearing your experience on this ship.  Yes, Elvis and Flavio were on board (sounds like Flavio may be leaving shortly, don't know if he'll be back after his break or moving to another ship).  I don't go on many cruises (have been going on more lately), but it seemed to me that they could be more personal on this smaller ship.  For example, Elvis taught a zumba class.  A cruise director on a mega ship wouldn't have the time.

I waited an HOUR for that stupid bridge!!  I didn't know it was so far away.  Finally, I had to leave to get changed for dinner, but was able to keep looking out my window to see if it was finally coming up.  Ran back upstairs to get my photos.  Since it was a small ship, I was proud of myself for using the stairs so much.  Rarely used the elevators.

Finally - you are far braver than I am participating in Quest.  Especially when you don't know what goes on...and you are on of the few women on the team!  

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. 

Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego...Loved your trip report! I actually have a deposit for the Nov 12th sailing of the Empress out of Miami. I really wanted the Dec 4th sailing which was a 5 night cruise but everything was sold out except for inside cabins and they wanted quite a bit for them. The Nov 12th is a 4 night. I'm not positive we can go, but I hope so and put the deposit on it. Anyway, thanks for this!

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego, my DH wants to go on another cruise leaving out of Tampa just so he can watch going under the bridge.  LOL

Elvis did say during one of the shows that they move from ship to ship and then back again.  Someone we sat with at dinner did the zumba class and another did the wine tasting and said it was quite nice.  Since it was our first cruise, we weren't sure what to expect.  If you didn't want to lie out in the sun, there sure were a lot of other activities planned.  I wish we would have done the behind the scenes tour of the ship.  DH would have liked to see where the captain is. 

We only halfway participated in Quest.  It started off easy but when it got to the point of guys putting on ladies clothes, we bowed out and just took it all in.   Woman LOL 

Trusted Contributor

I've enjoyed hearing about your trip @Alter Ego! Great pictures, too. Yes, I was a passenger in the car driving over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. I do not like bridges at all. Most of the time my eyes were closed. I peeked just a little. Awful.