Trusted Contributor

Re: Trip Report -Bogotá, Colombia

Day three:

I consider myself a foodie so that’s why I am posting a lot of food pics.  Every time I travel I take pics of everything I eat.  One to remember all the delicious stuff I have eaten and two, if I really like it, then  I will look online to find recipes to recreate it back home.

Breakfast today was simple 

57810EF8-5926-4EFD-8EEB-46B88A37B580.jpeg

Today we we headed out of the city and into the countryside.  Kinda like that nursery rhyme. Over the hill and though the woods......

6 lanes turned into 4 lanes and finally into 2 lane county roads.  The landscape was lush and green with those grey looking clouds kissing the hill tops.  Breathtaking.   Didn’t take any pics of those because there was no where to pull over.  Probably glad we didn’t.  I would probably start running and twirling around like Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music.  It was that awe inspiring to me,

Sis in law had a nice spot in mind for lunch then for our surprise  we would be heading  to a dairy factory that has an outlet next to it that offers sweet treats that they make.

Nestled in the hills was a little complex that had 5 or so rustic looking buildings with each one being a different restaurant. 

B9D397BB-40CE-40F6-B8DC-86C31187F1A0.jpeg

We chose the seafood restaurant.   The place was small on cozy. Not a lot of tables. I had the seafood paella.  Very huge portion and had shrimp, scallops, mussels.  It was so good.  That was only 12 US dollars 

3964BF82-51F2-46D6-AB7A-9B295676F17A.jpeg

Hubbie had fish in a very delicate broth and was just 13 US dollars.  Like I mentioned before.  Food is inexpensive here with the exchange rate

5BDE771F-BA39-4E57-B53B-2603F0ADFD5F.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Oops.  I hit the post button too quickly.

So day three continued:

Beind the group of cafes they had some trails.  We tried going up one but this was as far as I got. The altitude was kicking in and I started huffing and puffing.  So this pic is from behind.  

2D94CACC-49A9-4F4A-92BF-509D34F04DB0.jpeg

This is was across the street 

F8AAB7D8-4291-4F45-BB6F-920D39CFBD25.jpeg

We  spent a couple hours there having lunch and it was so relaxing.  Next we are heading to the Alpina Dairy factory outlet.   We drove about another hour and arrived to this beautified location.  

8BA837CE-DF63-4DE2-9DC3-3925BF451A60.jpeg

EABB77AB-7B7A-4F5C-BF73-410F8761D196.jpeg

Alpina brand is popular here.   The dairy factories are down the road and they are huge.  They produce milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, desserts, cheeses, etc.  This store showcases a lot of their products and has a large  area to sit and enjoy them.  Here are some pics inside

D2B96D72-D5B9-46A2-9B48-BBCCBC0A5CEB.jpeg

08F66430-D946-4CE8-BE9A-11BBE711DA90.jpeg

There was so much to choose from and a lot of free samples to taste.  I decided on this decadent dessert.  It was a pastry filled with vanilla custard and rolled in coconut and walnuts and sprinkled with powered sugar.  I felt like getting up and doing the David Venable  Happy Dance.  It was that good 

67B9716C-B266-4AFC-8A3A-05CD0495F072.jpeg

Today was an enjoyable relaxing day.  Nice to visit another side of Bogotá. That’s all I have have today since most of it was spent on the road. We were not that hungry for dinner when we got back to the hotel so we had some home made granola and some  trail mix that we purchased at the cafe complex.    Tomorrow we are going to the mall and do some shopping.   Stay tuned.......

Interesring tidbit:   Bogotá is a very active city.  A lot of people walk because of the traffic congestion.  There are many dedicated bicycles lanes too.  The number of slim people out number the more heavy.   They seem to be more health conscious.   One thing I noticed.  Every restaurant has a huge smoothie drink selection.  Not the USA type smoothie that tends to be loaded with sugar.   Here it’s just fruit and ice blended together.   So they are really not that sweet.   But everywhere you look almost everyone is having a fruit smoothie with their lunch or dinner.  

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut

"I would probably start running and twirling around like Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music. It was that awe inspiring to me." Heart

You are really giving us such a wonderful glimpse of that country. Seems like a great place to visit.

Keep posting those photos!

Respected Contributor

For some reason, I never thought of Bogota as being such a beautiful place.  I've added visiting this scenic country to my bucket list.  Smiley Very Happy

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@pommom Ditto! Me too. 

@CoffeeNut is opening our eyes to new horizons. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Day four:

Today me and hubbie are on our own until this evening.  Sis in law and her husband will meet us for dinner at our hotel.

breakfast this morning 

5CA27513-5A61-4B59-8BE5-7695CADBC1E2.jpeg

Today is shopping day.  I brought an empty suitcase to fill up for our return.  Our hotel is in the financial district or financial hub area. Kind of like Wall Street area in NYC.  Probably about a mile over is the trendy area with upscale shops and mall.  Cartier, Versace, etc.  Reminds me of 5th ave in NYC.   We decided to just walk to get some exercise and enjoy being one of the locals. 

Here’s some pics as we strolled along. 

55D3EDD3-F930-49F1-91A8-C1D6C7A8A12F.jpeg

0E8CCDD3-ED97-4AAC-A535-379A311FCE8E.jpeg

9B211DB8-82D4-406E-9D56-96CA64560837.jpeg

Very stress  free day for me.  Hubbie speaks Spanish and I know very little. So no worries about language barriers.  Hotels and popular places to eat and shopping stores usually have bilingual employees.  The not so popular places tend to just speak Spanish only. 

We went to the mall first.  4 levels with a huge food court.  I could probably spend a couple days just looking around.   For the most part with the exchange rate,  prices for regular clothing and shoes are a real bargain.  Now get into the high end name brands and those tended to be about the same prices as USA or higher.  

They had a Le Creuset store. Now I love me some Le Crueset but the prices were higher than what I can buy back home.  They had the 1.75 quart Dutch Oven that was the TSV last month for 129.98 I believe.  But it was 900,000 pesos here (320 US dollars). No thank you.  

We spent almost 4 hours shopping and looking around.  Hubbie got some shoes and clothing and I got me some as well.  We stopped when we thought there would be no space in the extra suitcase.  

There was a Louis Vuitton store as we exited the mall.  That is my favorite brand and I have been trying to purchase one item for the past couple years in the states but it is popular and is always sold out.  The wait list is long.   So I went in and didn’t see what I was looking for.  So I asked the sales associate about it.  She smiled as she pulled it out of the drawer.   I almost fainted but quickly recovered and almost did another  Happy Dance.  It was a little more expensive than stateside but I did not care one bit.  

We we left the mall and window shopped some more and found this wonderful bakery/cafe.   The smell was hypnotizing so we had to go in.   Look at all the decadent desserts.  Some full size and some mini.  

62FCD096-13C7-419D-833F-B81585F96C58.jpeg

A6AD4BC5-76A1-48D3-886E-04351FF1B860.jpeg

F188523B-9A8D-4B12-9D6F-205B466120B1.jpeg

It was lunch time so we decided to get some beef empanadas instead.  Oh my gosh.  They melted in your mouth.  We initially got 4 so we could each have 2.  Well.  We got another order and ended up having 4 each.  So so so good.

ECD79524-A6EC-496C-B146-BF8BF4FE1118.jpeg

947FA0DC-6C9D-4354-85ED-AAA2476983E1.jpeg

And i I also had tea with fresh fruit and mint.  Was very refreshing.  The empanadas were 80 cents each and the drink less than 2 dollars.  

48A3040F-9ABF-4777-9FEC-527765140EC2.jpeg

We decided to get a taxi back to the hotel because it would be a struggle to carry all our purchases that distance.  Got everything packed into the extra suitcase with no room to spare.  

This is our last night here.  We head back to the States in the morning.  It was a wonderful trip and sis in law did a good job being tour guide.   Her and her husband met us at the hotel this evening for a farewell dinner. We had pasta, bread and a cucumber pear salad.   A nice way to end the trip

C276736C-4DE5-4C1C-B656-36CF0F806AF2.jpeg

C2CCEE83-93D9-400D-951E-4231DAED1D77.jpeg

11029A31-0DDB-4042-8C1B-3E4C33D2EAB6.jpeg 

I am hoping to get some pics of the city as we take off.  It was dark when we arrived.  I will post some tidbits of information I thought was interesting late tomorrow night. 

Esteemed Contributor

Fantastic review! Thanks for sharing; like someone else commented, I remember Columbia from the Amaxing Race. That, to me, was really the start of seeing it as more of a vacation destination. Loved it and wish you were staying longer. 😊
Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut  "There was a Louis Vuitton store as we exited the mall........It was a little more expensive than stateside but I did not care one bit." LOL!!!!!  Good for you!

Also like the comment about the suitcase filling up. I have never taken an empty suitcase, because I know that I would just fill it up too. My thinking would be, "well, I brought it, I better put something in it and make it worth lugging around."

Love all the food photos and your commentary. The empanadas would have been high on my list, along with that cucumber salad!

Respected Contributor

Loved your trip report.  I too really enjoyed your food pictures in addition to the sights.  

Safe travels home!

Respected Contributor

@CoffeeNut

iBien venidos a los Estados Unidos!  Bien hecho.  Que Dios los bendiga.  Hasta luego.  Heart

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown