Honored Contributor

Re: Trip Report - Baltic Sea Cruise (Sweden, Finland, Russia, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, and Denmark)

Peterhof Grand Cascade Fountains

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: Trip Report - Baltic Sea Cruise (Sweden, Finland, Russia, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, and Denmark)

Peterhof gardens

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting! Great pictures! And great description of things, it is soooo familiar to me at the same time very interesting to read. 

A few notes. Buckwheat came to Russia from France due to the close countries ties. In France they grow it in Normandy and Bretagne and use is also as a side dish or as galettes(savory crêpes). In Russia they very rarely eat it for breakfast (sometimes with milk, mostly for kids ). As a side dish it is super popular,since it is very healthy, gluten free, very low glycemic index ( recommended for diabetics), rich in iron (anemics!),also has cancer fighting properties. I cook it here in States  all the time. Buckwheat honey is very beneficial for health.

Zeleny borscht is never with beets. Zeleny means  green in Russian, so it consists of spinach,kale,green scallions,parsley ,potatoes,chopped hard boiled egg and served sometimes chilled with lemon or sour cream. It is generally a southern dish ( I am a southern gal), so they probably made their northern version.

And yes, superstitions are the way of life!!!! Lol

Enjoy! Please keep posting.

Honored Contributor

@SANNA Thanks for all the information. I loved the buckwheat, mainly trying it because our guide told us we had to! Ha! She really likes it and told us she was ordering us to try it. I liked the texture, but we only had it served at one meal. 

Is there any particular brand or place where you get it?

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@SANNA Thanks for all the information. I loved the buckwheat, mainly trying it because our guide told us we had to! Ha! She really likes it and told us she was ordering us to try it. I liked the texture, but we only had it served at one meal. 

Is there any particular brand or place where you get it?

I buy mine in Russian stores. We have a lot of them in NY/NJ area. I do not know where do you live, but LA, San Francisco,Philadelphia, Boston, Miami and probably many other cities and towns where former USSR immigrants live you can find anything you want!

Enjoy your trip!  Tallin is cute! "tere" means hello in Estonian, very similar to Finnish.

Also , they hate Russians, I mean really hate. When I used to travel there I spoke Ukrainian to avoid the unpleasantries. It was a huge turn off for me,especially given the fact that when all of these Baltic people toured my region ( Black Sea) they were always treated nicely. Even though our people remembered that all of them were Nazi collaborators. History is not easy to forget...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SANNA Thanks for the information; I will probably have to order it online.

We have been warned about the lack of warmth from Estonians for other cultures. I will be writing about that in my next trip report.

You seem to have a wealth of knowledge on so many things. I hope someday you will write about your experiences in traveling or where you have lived, because obviously you have a lot of interesting things you could tell us. We would be interested in knowing more when you get some time.

We arrive in Estonia in three hours; have been cruising all night. Busy day planned.

Respected Contributor

I hear they are nice to Americans because they are doing well economically and very interested in business and being NATO members. They are just a little cold and dry by nature, humor is a little flat, just like most Nordic people. I guess it is too cold to be extroverts!!! Lol. I am sure you will have a great time!

I like their Kadriorg Parc and the old city with 2 towers: Tall Henry and Fat Margherita.

Honored Contributor

Thursday, July 20 - Tallin, Estonia

After cruising all night, we finally arrived in Tallin around 10:00am. This wonderfully preserved, ancient walled port city is of the old Hanseatic League, and is protected as a UNESCO Heritage Site.

It is filled with remarkable fortresses, castles, and cathedrals. Medieval Tallinn had six gates, all bastion forts complete with moats and drawbridges.

We went on a city tour to gain insight into Estonia's premier city. Tallin's Old Town is still encircled by city walls, punctuated with many stone towers rising above red-tiled roofs.

Within the city walls, the streets remain much as they were when Danish rulers built them in the 13th century. The historic city center is divided into the Lower Town and the Upper Town.

In the Lower Town, the 600-year-old town hall (best preserved of its kind in Northern Europe) presides dramatically over Town Hall Square (Raejoka plats).

The Upper Town is on Toompea Hill, where two 13th century landmarks still stand: Toompea Castle (now the meeting place for the Estonian Parliament) and the Dome Church (Estonias's largest Lutheran sanctuary).

Many of the city's historic buildings reflect the prosperity it enjoyed between the 14th and 16th centuries. Under German control, Tallinn flourished during these years as a trade port in the Hanseatic league. Later periods of Swedish and Russian rule also left their marks on Tallinn, whose rich layers of history we were able to learn about.

Other sights in town were the Kirk-in-de-Kok (Look into the Kitchen), a bastion built in 1470. At the time, it was the tallest building in Estonia and earned its name because it was said that watchmen would peer into the kitchens of the houses below.

I tried some Estonian Kringles today. This is a twisted sweetbread that is flavored with cardamom or saffron. Raisins may also be added to enhance the sweetness and texture of the bread. VERY GOOD!

Estonian cuisine is simple with seafood popular along the coast, and in the rural areas they like more vegetables and other crops. One third of Estonia is made up of farmland.

Bread, more specifically black bread, is a huge staple of Estonian cuisine. It has been said that bread is so important that if you drop a piece of bread on the ground, do not waste it. Instead, in Estonia it is normal to pick the bread up off the ground, no matter how long it was there, kiss it, and continue using it. Not so sure I would do that!

Here are some things I learned about Estonia:

• Flat tax of 20%; however, when you factor in the medical, education, and other taxes, the government takes 53% of their money.
  • Maternity leave is three years and when you come back, your position and pay is there for you to start back up. Technically, you could have a child, take off for three years, get pregnant again and have another child at the end of the first three years, and then off again for another three years, etc. The job and salary would still be there for you when you want to come back to work. Wonder if it would still be there if you had 10 children (30 years of maternity leave!).
  • First 18 months of maternity leave, you are paid your salary. The first six months has to be the mom who is taking off time. The rest of the 18 months can be either the mother or the father taking off from work.
  • 1991 was the year that unemployment went up to 42%! It stayed only for about two months, and is currently at 6%.
  • An Estonian created Skype.
  • Estonians are afraid of foreigners and immigrants. They accepted less than 100 refugees; they don't tolerate other cultures. Most of those immigrants left for other countries because they did not feel welcomed in Estonia.
  • Everyone votes online. They pay their taxes online. One of the guides said her husband timed how long it took her to pay her taxes online and it came to 39 SECONDS!!!!! She received the extra money back in less than 10 days. But the average time to do your taxes online is 10 minutes.
  • If you put the size of Maryland and Connecticut together, you will have the size of Estonia.
  • The average wage is $1,200 per month.
  • Around 24% of the population in Estonia are ethnic Russians.
  • Population is 1,280,000.
  • Estonian is a Finns-Ugric language. It has 32 letters and 14 cases. It has no genders, prepositions, or future tenses.
  • They have free public transportation. Never have to pay for it. And there is internet access on the buses.
  • Going to school is free, up thru college and university.
  • Medical care is covered.
  • School is out in June, July, and August. That's the way it was many years ago when I was in elementary and high school.
  • There is quite a bit of osteoporosis in Estonia because of the lack of sunlight, thus, lack of vitamin D. But there are lots of spas!
  • When the country received independence in 1991 from the Soviet Union, many things opened up for them. For instance, Bill Gates (Microsoft) gave every school computers in 1993 in order for the country to get up to date on technology and to help expand their knowledge of the world without the Soviet's influence.
  • Thirty percent of the population smoke. Cigarettes are very cheap here.

Here are some Estonian words:

Tere = hello
Aitah = thank you
Terviseks = cheers
Vanapaganarahapada = A pot of gold belonging to the devil

Tonight we cruise to the country of Latvia.

Honored Contributor

IMG_0390.JPG

This is part of the Singing Revolution monument and area where over 130,000 Estonian citizens came to proclaim their freedom.

IMG_0394.JPG

Honored Contributor

IMG_0403.JPG

We were told that a segment of one of the Sherlock Holmes movies used this building.

IMG_0407.JPG