Esteemed Contributor

Trip Report - Anthem of the Seas 6/26/17 (Bar Harbor and Halifax)

I'm currently sitting in Newark's airport with a 5 hour delay (fingers crossed that's all).  Thought I may as well get a start on a trip report to keep busy and not fall asleep!

I've been wanting to see different states and spend some time in our national parks.  Saw this itinerary over a year ago, and snatched a super studio balcony when I could. This is a unique itinerary - the only one this ship is taking like it all year. Was super excited about the Bar Harbor stop!

IMG_3289.PNG

Honored Contributor

Re: Trip Report - Anthem of the Seas 6/26/17 (Bar Harbor and Halifax)

Did you like Halifax, we loved it when we cruised the Canadian route a few years ago. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I have been to Bar Harbor and Nova Scotia but not on a cruise. In Bar Harbor, the outdoor Lobster Bake for lunch or dinner at the Bar Harbor Hotel is a must. And the bus tour of Acadia Natl Park, also a must. Nova Scotia's must see is Peggy's Cove, enjoy!!

Honored Contributor

Oops, I see now the trip is over, I hope yoi got to do the things I mentioned above.

Respected Contributor

That sounds like a great little 4 day get away, esp. for those living in NJ or PA area.  Hope you had a great time.  I love Bar Harbor.

Esteemed Contributor

I flew to NYC the day before.  If you know one thing about me, know that I will not go to New York and not see a show!  However, as this meant I would be flying in for a matinee, this also meant that I had a 3am wake up call and 6am flight.  To be honest, maybe there were later flights, but I wanted a cheap flight using points on Southwest.

I also chose to splurge and stay at the Marriott Marquis.  Was hoping to check in and get a room early, but it was not to be. However, it had such a large lobby, I stayed around there, stopping for lunch in their restaurant.  Only left when it was time to go to the show.

IMG_4068.JPG

IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

A good thing about planning a trip so far in advance is that I was able to make other plans as soon as I could.  Got very lucky with my show ticket; I should not that there was a bit of an obstruction when action took place at the back of the stage.  It was INCREDIBLE!  I heard that Bette was going on vacation later that week.

In honor of my Havana trip, I had Cuban for dinner.  Entertainment was included.

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

I didn't really stay out late.  I just picked up something to drink at Rite Aid (?) and went back to my room.  Per my Fitbit, I was sleeping by 10pm.

IMG_4076.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego

Sounds like you had a great time!  Hope your plane isn't delayed too much longer.

Esteemed Contributor

EMBARKATION DAY

Used Dial 7 to get me to Bayonne's cruise port.  I shared a ride with another traveler that I met on Cruise Critic's roll call.  

Will post about the ship later.  May also supplement these photos when I get home.  All photos are currently only from my iPhone.

We were very fortunate to be able to take a little harbor cruise and get closer to the Statue of Liberty.  This does not always happen.

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

IMG_4098.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

BAR HARBOR 

This is a tender port.  For those who do not know what that is - for whatever reason, the ship is unable to dock and smaller boats need to come out and pick up its passengers.  In a ship with 4,700 on board, it's a looong process with many unhappy people.  I had a 10am appointment, so I was concerned that I would miss it!  I was fine.

I did Lulu's Lobster Boat tour and Oli's Trolley. Naturally, I had a lobster roll and blueberry pie for lunch.

View i I woke up to...

IMG_4178.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego Love your photos! Thanks for posting them.

Are you having any problems with the files being too big and having to go thru the app you told me about (and for which I still cannot post after reducing the size!)?