Respected Contributor

Traveling insurance for medicare recipients........

This is my first time to travel internationally with medicare insurance.  I know that I need to pick up insurance since any incidents that I incur won't be covered.  Can you all help me with carriers that you can vouch for?  Thanks so much.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Traveling insurance for medicare recipients........

Med Jet is what we have used.  It covers overseas hospitalization  and medical jet transport back to your home.

Respected Contributor

@patbz:  Thanks so much, off to get a quote.

Esteemed Contributor

Check out Allianz too. Very good company.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom  If you have Medicare Supplemental Plan C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M, or N you have Emergency coverage out of the country for foreign claims.  Your Supplement will pay 80% up to a lifetime of $50,000.

I would also pick up additional travel health insurance and make sure it includes air ambulance transportation back to the US.  Many policies do not and require you to be treated in the country you are visiting or use a commercial airline.  That is okay, but if you need surgery or treatment for a life threatening problem, you might want to come back to the US ASAP.

Enjoy your trip.

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl:  Thank you for this help.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie:  Off to give them a call.  Thanks for this information.

I called Medicare (have Blue Advantage) and they said it would not cover any incurred services.  They referred me to GEO Blue which Medicare is offering now.  Have you heard of this?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Carmie:  Off to give them a call.  Thanks for this information.

I called Medicare (have Blue Advantage) and they said it would not cover any incurred services.  They referred me to GEO Blue which Medicare is offering now.  Have you heard of this?

Medicare Advantage Plans do not cover Foreign expenses, you must have Original  Medicare and one of the supplements I have listed.

If I remember correctly, GeoBlue is a Blue Cross Blue Shield Product offered to companies who have Medicare aged employees who work out of the country often.  I don’t think it is offered to individuals for purchase, but I could be wrong.

*******Okay, I looked it up. It is travel insurance offered by BCBS and is available for anyone to purchase.

Respected Contributor

Travel Insured International  will protect you if you become unable to travel before your trip and will protect you if you become ill while on your trip.  Good insurance $50K for medical services and $100K for evacuation due to illness or injury.  I recommend purchase of the "Cancel For Any Reason" benefit.

Respected Contributor

@tobes:  Thank you so much for this information.