Respected Contributor

@Stray   Glad you had a great time.  I've only traveled in the country since the pandemic, but am going to the Quebec Christmas Market in December.  We can't hide forever.

Have a happy birthday today!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray  I follow an American who lives in Italy and she often comments on how seriously the Italians are about Covid. She rolls her eyes at some of the stories out of the US (although, to be fair, those stories are a bit biased.) I hadn't heard much about Croatia. I was pretty sure they opened early to Americans, so I appreciate your commentary about their safety measures.

Happy you had a great time.  It must have been incredible being there with slightly less crowds (although cruise ships have been back for a while and they bring in the tourists).  I too just got back from a week in Kauai and am planning an overseas trip in November that, like you, will require many tests while there. Although I didn't need to get tested (as I'm fully vaccinated), I still got a PCR before I got on the plane to Hawaii because I think that's what a responsible traveler should do (but I don't get up in arms if others don't).

How crowded were your flights? I personally had three seats to myself both up and back from Kauai (don't laugh - I took Southwest!) although my flight to Vegas was packed.

Esteemed Contributor
@alterego - it was quite crowded in some places, especially Venice as two cruise ships were in one day. But, much less crowded than the past.

Since I’ve gotten older, we fly business class but I think the flight was full as I believe there may be only one direct flight daily to NYC from Venice.

Croatia was also very crowded but more open spaced.

It’s wise to get tested before you go. We are fully vaccinated but Italy changed requirements just before we were ready to go. You also want to know you are neg so that you don’t get stranded in a foreign country. Some hotels will not allow you to stay if you test pos & you must go to a government facility.

The countries change their entry requirements based on activity levels in your country of origin & change spur of the moment. So our USA numbers did not meet their threshold & they wanted PCR testing.

If you are traveling abroad in November, check the website of the country (ies) you are visiting. You often have to fill in a “locator” form which can be downloaded from their website or get the EU App. They are serious about the form and you receive permission to enter after filling in the questionnaire and sending a pic of your vaccination card. You also must fill out an attestation form.

In Croatia, not Italy, there was an expiration date for your vaccination meaning, you must not be 270 days past your second injection or only of J&J.

So just check the website frequently so you get no surprises. It is well worth it to get away and we have to learn to live with Covid as it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. Just be careful and vigilant
Respected Contributor

@StrayThanks for the info.  I didn't know about the vaccine expiration dates.  I'm getting close to  that. number.   I had my second shot of Moderna on Feb 9.  Can't get my booster until Moderna is approved.   Good to know.

Esteemed Contributor
This is also the first I’ve heard of an “expiration date”. Very interesting indeed. I wonder how other countries are doing with approving “boosters” (don’t expect anyone to answer; am just musing) and/or if that Croatia date is a moving number and will be adjusted to a year, etc, as they rely on tourism so much. Thanks for sharing @Stray !
Esteemed Contributor
@alterego, @Travone

I only visited Croatia and Italy but I think Croatia is the only area doing this. I entered Europe thru Debrovnik & got permission to enter. If I entered in Italy it is just fully vaccinated and PCR testing 3 days prior to the flight. There is no mention of an expiration. I think when boosters are approved for all three vaccines and all categories, the number may change re to expiration. But if you travel abroad anywhere, check the Country’s official website re to Covid and entry, frequently.
Honored Contributor

I just returned from Spain, it was amazing.

Respected Contributor

I love to travel more than hubby.  We have been to Europe twice and thank the lord we went when we did.  I would go back  but he said he saw enough.

Spent 2 weeks in July (before all the craziness started again) in the Adirondacks but that is the extent of our travels during COVID.  Wanted to go to Maine or MA this Sept/Oct but we decided against it.  We are 68 and 74, fully vaccinated and basically healthy but still are hesitant.  We spend LOTS of time with our 2 grandkids who are just 3 and 5 so we need to be extra careful...Hopefully next year!

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray 

Thank you for the helpful information. I will be traveling to Greece in April, so I will make sure to see what the requirements are to travel to their country, I was concerned when you wrote that you can't be more than 270 days past your last vaccination. I know it's a different country but you never know what the rules will be. I am fully vaccinated and will make sure to jump through whatever hoops are required so that I may enjoy my vacation.

Honored Contributor

Just returned from Europe and I plan to travel internationally at least once a year.  Life is short.