Super Contributor

Make time for the Hawaiian Cultural Village and Pearl Harbor Memorial.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

getting ready to book my MAY 2019 trip to hawaii and i think i am going to go first class. i want to have just one stop during my travels. dont want a package deal.....we already have our hotel reservations set.

i have investigated american airlines and alaska airlines. right now alaska is about $600 cheaper. any other suggestions for good airlines to go to hawaii?

i am leaving out of BWI.

Alaska Airlines doesn't have any widebody aircraft in their fleet. It may be cheaper, but I certainly wouldn't want to be riding to Hawaii on a 737!

Domestic first class on any of the mainline airlines (Delta, United, American, etc.) is all about the same service wise. If you're going to spring for a premium cabin (which I would most definitely do), make sure you're getting your money's worth. For example, out of BWI on Delta, you'd connect in MSP and the aircraft to HNL is a 767-400 with lay flat seats up front on the MSP-HNL portion. It's very easy to see what the aircraft type is when you're searching for airfare, so it's not that hard to find those better choices. Also, seatguru.com has an extensive database of fleet and seatmap info, so you can also consult that site to make sure you're making the best choice. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Super Contributor

If you are young, flying in a 737 to Hawaii isn't bad.

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

getting ready to book my MAY 2019 trip to hawaii and i think i am going to go first class. i want to have just one stop during my travels. dont want a package deal.....we already have our hotel reservations set.

i have investigated american airlines and alaska airlines. right now alaska is about $600 cheaper. any other suggestions for good airlines to go to hawaii?

i am leaving out of BWI.

Alaska Airlines doesn't have any widebody aircraft in their fleet. It may be cheaper, but I certainly wouldn't want to be riding to Hawaii on a 737!

Domestic first class on any of the mainline airlines (Delta, United, American, etc.) is all about the same service wise. If you're going to spring for a premium cabin (which I would most definitely do), make sure you're getting your money's worth. For example, out of BWI on Delta, you'd connect in MSP and the aircraft to HNL is a 767-400 with lay flat seats up front on the MSP-HNL portion. It's very easy to see what the aircraft type is when you're searching for airfare, so it's not that hard to find those better choices. Also, seatguru.com has an extensive database of fleet and seatmap info, so you can also consult that site to make sure you're making the best choice. 

@FrostyBabe1:  737 for safety reasons or why????

Respected Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

i am leaving out of BWI.

No, not at all. It's a perfectly safe, small, narrowbody aircraft. It's fine for a couple of hours, but a flight to Hawaii? Even first class is going to get cramped and uncomfortable pretty quickly. Same with a 757. A little bigger, but still a narrowbody. You're going to pay a premium to fly up front. Make sure you're getting the most you can for your money!

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Re: Travel to Hawaii

[ Edited ]

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

i am leaving out of BWI.

@No, not at all. It's a perfectly safe, small, narrowbody aircraft. It's fine for a couple of hours, but a flight to Hawaii? Even first class is going to get cramped and uncomfortable pretty quickly. Same with a 757. A little bigger, but still a narrowbody. You're going to pay a premium to fly up front. Make @ure you're getting the most you can for your money!

@FrostyBabe1:  We have flown to Hawaii many times so I was confused by this.  Honestly, I have never known if it was a 737 or 757 or whatever as DH is the "travel agent" in our home.  Yes, we do fly first class (not always) when we travel, but I am so happy to be able to do things like this don't matter as long as I am with him.

Regular Contributor

We are cruising to HI next month.  9 glorious sea days and then Oahu, Hilo, Kauai, and Maui.   We've booked our excursions.    We are whale watching in Maui, visting some volcanic areas in Kauai, exploring waterfalls and cruising a river in Hilo, and visiting a movie set on Oahu then just walking around Waikiki.

We did a land vacation on Oahu 20 years ago and really enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Center and their Luau.   If you have never been it makes a nice long day/evening.  They were working on the Arizona Memorial over the past year or so and it might not be ready for visitors.   There is a museum on the land at the site to visit.  However, if the government is shut down on your visit it won't be open.  

Have a great cruise and enjoy Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

we are starting to book some things we want to do in advance.

can anyone recommend a great luau evening in waikiki?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor
Sorry IMHO the best luau is on Maui (Feast at Lele).
Respected Contributor

Does anyone know the closest airport to the piers and what hotels to stay at prior to a cruise?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown