Esteemed Contributor

I finally sorted out the trip to Hawaii.  I picked the travel agent, decided on a Norwegian Cruise and put down a deposit.  

We will be taking a flight out of Baltimore (to Hawaii and staying a few days in Hawaii (Honolulu) May 2019

My question:  What should I see, book, first from the hotel and then on the ship, what might be good excursions.  

Just want general answers of places you know to be interesting. I do want to see memorials, love helicopters, and beautiful scenery, great places to shop with good food.  I am not a beach person, don't like sand and I burn easily.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Travel to Hawaii

[ Edited ]

Don't know your itinerary but in Maui go to Aloha Mixed Plate for lunch (take bus ) not too far from where ships anchor.  Go to a luau on Maui (book Feast at Lele on line at least one month ahead) cost is a little over $100 for two and it is within walking distance of where you land.  Glad you finally booked your trip!  Try Poke on either Oahu or Maui (there are lots of places to try it).

Esteemed Contributor

I was disappointed with the first offer which was a group endeavor.  I know I was being overcharged.  And the insurance was crazy.  Yes, we are senior citizens, but senior citizens travel and there was no need to DING us for our age....that much... I checked it out and they were over the top.  Then the rest of the selections were compared by me ... three travel agents... different agencies.  Same trip and that one was double the price.  

I ain't that dumb  LOL.  So I picked the one agent I most got along with and  we are on a roll... next year this time.  Just in time to pack.  Obviously another question.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What islands will you be cruising to?  On Oahu, there is the Pearl Harbor Memorial, Wakiki Beach (you can look at it), the Aloha Swap meet at the Aloha Bowl. lots of shopping down the main drag.  The ABC stores are the best places to get souvenirs.  Find a Leonard's Bakery and indulge in a malasada.  It's like a Portguese donut but better.  The Polynesian Culural Center.

Maui is very pretty.  There's tour to Halekala National Park.  At the top of the island.  Inactive volcano.  Gets cold and breezy, bring a jacket.  There's the Road to Hana tour.  Takes you around the island.  Takes a whole day.  Worth it, as you see beautiful scenery.

On the Big Island, there's Kona, Kilauae volcano-you can hike and see active lava flow (wear sturdy shoes, no sandals), and Rainbow Falls in Hilo.  Ken's House of Pancakes in Hilo is the best.

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu  We took that same Norwegian Cruise several years ago and really enjoyed it. I’m glad you are able to go.  One of the side trips we booked from the ship was the Road to Hana excursion. We traveled in a van that could sit 8 people and it was about a 5 hour excursion. We stopped along the way for lunch, a winery (really good pineapple wine), a craft type store and to just get out at some lookouts.  I can’t remember the cost but it was very memorable.  We also booked a luau with Hawaiian dancers from the ship. 

Respected Contributor

I've been to Oahu twice.  A must do is Pearl Harbor.  Be aware the parking is beyond limited.  Get there BEFORE the tour buses do.  Since you have a travel agent, perhaps she can assist you with this.  When we went, we got there by 7 a.m.  As another poster suggested:  Leonards Bakery..  Again, parking is just awful, just a few spots but well worth the trip.  Go to the Northshore.  Over there is the Dole Plantation.  They have something very similar to the ever popular dole whip at WDW.  Don't buy a pineapple there.  You can get it for much less elsewhere.  Also on the north shore is the famous Matsumote Shaved Ice.  A pretty popular place is to is the Rainbow Drive In.  A bit of a dive but foo was pretty good.  We didn't eat much in Oahu itself.  When we went to Hawaii, we were staying at the Disney property, Aulani.  We had a rental car to see the sights and drive around. 

Esteemed Contributor

If we are talking Oahu take the bus to the fish auction (very early) where the fishing boats come in.  This is a very unique experience, where the Chefs of the big hotels (among others) vie for the fish in an auction conducted in Japanes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

getting ready to book my MAY 2019 trip to hawaii and i think i am going to go first class. i want to have just one stop during my travels. dont want a package deal.....we already have our hotel reservations set.

i have investigated american airlines and alaska airlines. right now alaska is about $600 cheaper. any other suggestions for good airlines to go to hawaii?

i am leaving out of BWI.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 Have you checked Hawaiian Airlines? I've always had great service on Hawaiian Air. My cousin's Hawaiian wife said that Southwest was going to start flying to Hawaii soon and that it would drive prices down, so you might want to check them, too. Aloha!

Honored Contributor

@pinkmochi

that will be nice if southwest begins flying there.....who doesnt want the prices driven down? Smiley Wink

thanks for the recommendation. my biggest issue with hawaiian airlines is that it flies out of dulles instead of bwi. it takes me about an hour and a half to drive there usually. so much easier to fly out of bwi. i will definitely look into it though.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein