Respected Contributor

Re: Travel to Hawaii - suggestions?

You’ve received some excellent advice from the others. We went to the Big Island a few years ago and had a great time. We stayed ata resort on the Kona side of the island. Looking back, I would have stopped over for a few days on the west coast so we weren’t so exhausted when we arrived in Hawaii. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We went to Hawaii 6 years ago. We went to Maui, Kauai and Oahu. We went with another couple and we all agreed Kauai was the worst of the three. We went in May and it was so humid. (I know it’s an island) it was miserable. Everything was damp from our sheets, money, heck even the toilet paper was damp. Couldn’t sleep even though the room was air conditioned because of the humidity. We live in the desert and aren’t used to humidity.  I would not go back. Maui and Oahu on the other hand was very nice. Be prepared to spend a fortune on food and everything else. All in all it was a nice trip but we have no desire to return. Been there, done that. I can say I’ve been to Hawaii. I have other places I would rather see. (I know I’m in the minority here).

Honored Contributor

We've been to Hawaii several times.  Each island is different.  Maui is our favorite.  In any case, be prepared to spend more than you think you will!!!  It is expensive!!

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 :  You are right about the prices ( it's the shipping).  I have considered taking frozen steaks in a cooler (actually saw someone do that on my one (and only ever) trip to Aruba.

Honored Contributor

I’m partial toward Maui. It’s girgeous and there’s plenty to see and do.

Honored Contributor

we will be in honolulu in two weeks!

cannot wait.......

any and all restaurant suggestions would be appreciated.

any good places for brunch?

we are already doing TOP OF WAIKIKI and DUKES.....and a luau on our last night there at the ROYAL HAWAIIAN.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

we will be in honolulu in two weeks!

cannot wait.......

any and all restaurant suggestions would be appreciated.

any good places for brunch?

we are already doing TOP OF WAIKIKI and DUKES.....and a luau on our last night there at the ROYAL HAWAIIAN.

Have a great trip.  I’m planning on going in November 2020 and can never see enough Hawaii ideas.

Im attaching an older thread with restaurant ideas.  Hope this helps if nobody else sees your request.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Travel/Hawaii-restaurants/td-p/5247857

Trusted Contributor

I've been to Kauai twice and to Oahu. I have to go to Maui next, especially now that Southwest is flying to Hawaii. Kauai is very beautiful and relaxing. You can't help but slow down there. One of my favorite albums by Medeski, Martin & Wood was recorded there, as well as at least some of Jack Johnson's music. You can really hear that relaxed island vibe in their music. Great hiking, too. 

Plate lunch is more affordable and definitely what many of the locals eat (e.g., Rainbow Drive-in). You get a ton of food and can easily share one plate with someone else. I can't remember the name of the locals place known for their lilikoi pie (very fluffy and not too sweet!) in Kauai. Had great ramen and pie for dessert. You can go to expensive places on the islands, but there are also more affordable places where you mostly see locals. 

I really need to get back there. My friend from Makaha told me that he thought there was something about the high salt content in the water that makes it so easy to float in. I don't know if that's true, but we floated on our backs in the water in Oahu for hours just talking. 

I'm jealous of everyone going! @SurferWife always has great recommendations for people visiting her breathtaking state! Heart

Frequent Contributor

Love Hawaii! Have been to 3 islands: Oahu, Maui, Kauai. Of the 3, Maui is my favorite. I used to think it was Kauai until I went there after 20 years last year. What a disappointment. It is run down looking compared to Maui. Maui is more high end. Oahu, forget it. Too busy & city like for me. Bring $$$. Hawaii, all islands are expensive. 

Trusted Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

We also did the Hawaiian cruise (through Norwegian Cruise Line embarking in Honolulu).  I thought it was an excellent way to get an overview of several of the islands in one trip. 

I was on the Norwegian Cruise just last week. It was wonderful. Since it was my first time in Hawaii, I enjoyed getting a sample of most of the islands. I really can’t say which I liked best as I liked them all. Now, I will have to go back to see more.