Respected Contributor

Not sure what to do...travel ins. is optional but recommended.  3 years ago went to Italy and we did NOT buy it.  We are going to several European countries this spring and not sure about it...hate to spend the extra!!!

Esteemed Contributor

We bought it 10 years ago when our son graduated from Le Cordon Bleu in Portland.  We used it for DH when his Mom passed away.  I went to Portland, DH went to his Mom's funeral.

Respected Contributor

I think you should spend the extra and make sure it includes medical coverage.  When traveling outside the USA, most medical insurance won’t work overseas. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Travel insurance

[ Edited ]

On international trips we always buy travel insurance and also medical insurance (medjet).  Never had to use medical yet (but it does give us peace of mind) but have used trip insurance three times (Alaska, Russia and a back to back to back cruise to Australia and New Zealand) these cruises would have been close to $40,000 total.

Respected Contributor

I think it's worth it if you're traveling outside the USA. When we toured Scotland several people became I'll and had to have emergency care. One person was hospitalized 3 days.

Esteemed Contributor

I always buy travel insurance .It’s worth it for the piece of mind.In the unlikely event something unexpected happens I’m covered.

Honored Contributor

I would NEVER travel without it. I only travel within the U.S. but **you never know**.

I have relatives who bought it and were to travel to the east coast when one of them broke a leg and they were unable to travel. Got a full refund from their travel insurance.

Honored Contributor

You need medical insurance when traveling, also air ambulance and transportation back to the US for medical attention if needed.  You might not want to be treated in Europe and may not be physically able to travel on a commercial plane.  No Medial insurance that you currently have will cover international air transportation.

You health insurance may cover medical expenses ( doctor and hospital) over seas, but if you have Medicare, there is no coverage on cruises or anywhere except on US soil.  Supplemental Plans C and H do cover some foreign travel expenses.  No air ambulance.

You need insurance in case you can't make the trip..either you or someone else in your family is unable to go, gets sick or there is a death....cancellation insurance is necessary.

Choose  a plan with a high dollar amount for emergency transportation...at least $100,000 and $50,000 minimum for medical care.

Choose  a plan that offers primary insurance.  If you have to coordinate your travel insurance with other medical insurance, it can make your life really complicated and will take forever to get your money reimbursed.

I use Travelex and get the Select plan.  They offer others as well.

Esteemed Contributor

AAA has great, comprehensive travel insurance at excellent rates. It is my understanding that you need not be a AAA member to purchase a policy through AAA.

Bought it several years ago for DS when he went on a school trip to Europe..

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

AAA has great, comprehensive travel insurance at excellent rates. It is my understanding that you need not be a AAA member to purchase a policy through AAA.

Yes that is correct.  If you are a AAA member, you will get a "discount."  If you have a AAA Visa cc the "discount" is steeper.

I only get travel/medical insurance when travelling outside of the USofA.  I have no need for it when travelling within the US.  I have excellent medical coverage - retired Fed employee.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif