Honored Contributor

Re: Travel insurance, under seat bag and global entry

@Shiloh09 I did purchase the Travelon Underseat bag and was pleasantly surprised as to how much it holds, however, I do not think it will fit under the seat in United Economy.  I just have a feeling its going to be too big but we'll see when I fly in a couple of weeks.  If it doesn't, it'll definitely fit overhead, which I know defeats the purpose of having an underseat bag. I have ordered the LUG travel PuddleJumper as so many reviews said it definitely fit so will see which one I like best.

Honored Contributor

@Shiloh09 wrote:

Which company and what level of travel insurance did you purchase for international travel. We are going to Australia and New Zealand for 4 weeks in April/May, 2018.

Suggestion for under the seat bag or carry on for flight?

Is the Global entry pass worth it?

This will be the longest flight I have ever taken....flew to Europe and Ireland in the past, but this trip is much longer

We use Allianz for travel insurance. We also use it for event tickets.

We have filed claims with no problems.

If I use a carry on, it's usually a Vera Bradley one. 

Respected Contributor

YES YES YES ....   Global Entry is DEFINITELY worth it and one of the best things you can have if you travel out of the country.   We just returned from Alaska about a month ago.  Our trip ended in Canada.  We used GE for the first time.  FABULOUS...   walked right past hundreds of people waiting and went right up to the machine, scanned our passports, put our fingers on the machine so it could read our fingerprints, and up to the agents we went.  Saved ourselves so much time.

As others have said,  with that comes the TSA Precheck which covers you nationally.

We signed up online, and then when we got an email letting us know that we were approved to make an appointment for an interview, we did so.  We chose a location that was not at the airport.  It took us less than 5 mins each when we were called in,  asked a couple of basic questions, had our picture taken and finger prints.  About a week later, we had our pass. 

DO IT if you travel out of the country.  The $100 for 5 years is well worth it, IMO.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Global entry also includes TSA PreCheck when traveling within the US, so if you fly regularly within the US, as well as foreign trips, it's definitely worth it. If you're only going to use it once or twice within five years, then probably not. I'd pay for PreCheck just to avoid the regular security lines at LGA twice a year! 

I paid the extra $15 for Global Entry and we went on a cruise in April in and out of Miami.  That day Miami was the absolute worst airport I'd been in for a long time as far as long security lines.  Both regular and PSA pre-check passenger lines were horrendous; however, we did get thru the shorter line much sooner.  Never had the chance to use the return back to the US and bypassing the long Customs line bc they did Customs in the Miami port and that day we were on the side of the port with only one other ship so Customs went really fast.

That experience made me want to stick more with road trips but I'm glad I completed the process because in the past I've threatened not to fly anymore but end up doing so eventually!  

Super Contributor

I completed the online application for Global Entry and have scheduled appointment on October 25. I also sent in my passport renewal application on Monday. I hope I get my new one before my appointment or will need to reschedule it. 

Working on the travel insurance and carry on bag....I have started to exercise again in preparation for the long flight and plenty of walking in NZ and Australia!!!

Honored Contributor

@Shiloh09 My Global Entry appointment is on Labor Day! I have a 200-mile drive to get to a major airport, the nearest place where the officials can interview me. I will report back about it on the thread Global Entry that I started back in the spring. But from what I hear, it only takes a few minutes once you start the interview.

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Shiloh09 My Global Entry appointment is on Labor Day! I have a 200-mile drive to get to a major airport, the nearest place where the officials can interview me. I will report back about it on the thread Global Entry that I started back in the spring. But from what I hear, it only takes a few minutes once you start the interview.

It really is quick and painless.  We did ours in NO and the Agent was wonderful.  Easy peasy!!

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom Oh, good to know. Don't need it until end of March for my trip to Japan, but am eager to get it all taken care of. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler,

Thank you so much for sharing with us everything about Global Entry. JFK Is quite a nightmare when several planes land simultaneously.

Now our local airport is starting some flights to Europe with Norwegian Airlines and Airlingus. The good part about the Irish is that you pass customs in Dublin however their destinations are still limited🌻

Super Contributor

I am more fortunate regarding the Global Entry as I live in the 4th largest city in the country! I can actually go to our main public library in lieu of the airport. Unless of course I need to reschedule because of not receiving my new passport in time.