Respected Contributor

The U.S. Department of State is warning travelers headed to Mexico to be cautious, due to increased crime and kidnapping in parts of the country.

Violent crime, such as homicides, kidnappings, carjackings and robbery, are "widespread" and the U.S. government "has limited ability to provide emergency services" to Americans in many areas, according to the advisory. 

https://abc7.com/travel/mexico-travel-advisory-state-dept-warns-of-widespread-violent-crime-/5769000...

Honored Contributor

Re: Travel Warning to Mexico

@MorningLover U.S. residents have been warned about this for a long time.

You couldn't pay me to put a toe in Mexico, not these days. Nor for the last at least 20 years.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

You couldn't pay me to put a toe in Mexico, not these days. Nor for the last at least 20 years.

Me either.  I left me a job about ten years ago when the CEO was talking about building a plant in Mexico and, knowing him, I knew most of the ensuing problems would fall on my shoulders.  Safety was also a concern, but even more so now. 

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@MorningLover U.S. residents have been warned about this for a long time.

You're right about that!  I noticed that the article stated "updated 2 hrs ago."  Apparentlly, more Mexican "states" were added to the do not travel to.....list.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

We spent some very enjoyable and educational visits to Mexico City, Cancun, Cozumel, and the beautiful San Miguel de Allende in colonial Mexico.  As seniors who do not speak Spanish, we will no longer consider Mexico as a vacation spot.  It is a shame because the Mexican culture, people, and cuisine has a lot to offer. 

Honored Contributor

Nothing new about that.  They've been posting that warning for 30 years.

Honored Contributor

@Tshirtgal So very true and it's a shame that it's so dangerous now. I understand it's a lovely country with a lot of wonderful people. And I love love love Mexican food, especially the way my DIL, who is of Hispanic origin, makes it.

Respected Contributor

I lived in Merida when I was in college and the same travel warnings were in effect then. That was 35 years ago. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Regular Contributor

I believe the warning was increased and republished since the ambush of the mormon women and children who were traveling in a caravan through back roads in drug cartel land recently.  After reading and following the story, for the life of me I don't understand why these people were living and traveling in the area for 20 years.  Regular tourists would NEVER be there.

Be smart and stay in the tourist areas if you travel to Mexico.  We often stop in Cozumel while cruising which seems fine in tourist area.  

Esteemed Contributor

More than 10 years ago I was on a multi country cruise that stopped at 4 ports in Mexico, including Acapulco.  As we were leaving that port the news came out about a bus load of Mexican tourists kidnapped by the Cartel.  Months later I read that a common grave of their bodies was discovered ( they had been used to train attack dogs).  Although I had been to Mexico at least 25 times I decided no more.  There are too many great places to visit to put up with that.  Mexico has been very dangerous for a very long time.