Honored Contributor

For the last several years we've been using Allianz for all our trips as well as concert tickets.  We've actually used it once with no hassles.

Honored Contributor

Did you book your air transportation through the cruise line?  Often if you do, they will guarantee that they will either wait for you or fly you to the first port of call.

if you made the airline reservations on your own, you should get insurance ASAP.

We, with about six other people got hung up in Chicago and had to wait for the next connecting flight.  We arrived six hours later than the original flight was supposed to. Our cruise ship waited three hours before departing so that we did not miss our cruise.  They left as soon as we boarded.

Now, I always fly the day before and stay in a hotel.  That's too much excitement for me.

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely buy insurance - Travel Guard or Allianz are both excellent companies.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

What did you find and did you purchase the insurance?

Thought of you yesterday when a woman missed her flight due to the airlines for her cruise.

Contributor

We always buy the insurance before a trip. Gives us peace of mind.  Haven't had to use it so far but you never know!

Esteemed Contributor

I also use Travel Guard.  MY travel agent recommends them from among all the providers out there.   BY the way you should never buy the insurance the cruise line offers because the policies they sell do not protect passengers from financial loss if the cruise line goes bankrupt. granted the chances are small but cruise lines have, upon occasion, gone belly up leaving passengers who made deposits or paid in full with no recourse if they had the cruise lines insurance.  You want a independent insurer with a good rating.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone.  Unfortunately for the person who asked (sorry I don't remember your name), we could not fly the day before the cruise and stay at a hotel because my husband has to work.  He actually is going to be dragging because he won't get home until close to 1:00 a.m. and we have to be at the airport by 5:30 a.m. for our flight. 

To the other poser who asked, we did not book our insurance through the cruise.  This was the first time we did this so I wasn't even aware you could book the flight at the same time.  I guess this is the advantage to using a travel agent or contacting the cruiseline directly.  LOL

I did end up purchasing insurance through Travel Guard and when I rec'd the policy, I believe it's either through AIG or Allianz.  I've looked at so many, now I don't remember.  It was $117.00 for the gold policy for both my husband and me.

However, as I said above, my biggest concern is that we are flying Frontier and there have been instances in the past where they have canceled flights on a whim, for no apparent reason.  I was told that the insurance will only cover a canceled flight if there is a reason such as inclement weather, mechanical issues, etc.  If Frontier just decides to cancel our flight, the rep. said I'd have to submit a claim with documentation and see what happens but that's not been covered in the past. 

Between this insurance and the credit card I used for the cruise and flights, I hope something would cover is in that event.  Otherwise, I'd have to go after the airline. 

Thank you all so much for the help!  I really appreciate it.  I do feel better now that I've purchased the insurance and I have learned a lot from all of you about what to do if we cruise again.

Now I am going to contact the cruise line and arrange our transfers from the airport to the dock through them.     

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Thanks everyone.  Unfortunately for the person who asked (sorry I don't remember your name), we could not fly the day before the cruise and stay at a hotel because my husband has to work.  He actually is going to be dragging because he won't get home until close to 1:00 a.m. and we have to be at the airport by 5:30 a.m. for our flight. 

To the other poser who asked, we did not book our insurance through the cruise.  This was the first time we did this so I wasn't even aware you could book the flight at the same time.  I guess this is the advantage to using a travel agent or contacting the cruiseline directly.  LOL

I did end up purchasing insurance through Travel Guard and when I rec'd the policy, I believe it's either through AIG or Allianz.  I've looked at so many, now I don't remember.  It was $117.00 for the gold policy for both my husband and me.

However, as I said above, my biggest concern is that we are flying Frontier and there have been instances in the past where they have canceled flights on a whim, for no apparent reason.  I was told that the insurance will only cover a canceled flight if there is a reason such as inclement weather, mechanical issues, etc.  If Frontier just decides to cancel our flight, the rep. said I'd have to submit a claim with documentation and see what happens but that's not been covered in the past. 

Between this insurance and the credit card I used for the cruise and flights, I hope something would cover is in that event.  Otherwise, I'd have to go after the airline. 

Thank you all so much for the help!  I really appreciate it.  I do feel better now that I've purchased the insurance and I have learned a lot from all of you about what to do if we cruise again.

Now I am going to contact the cruise line and arrange our transfers from the airport to the dock through them.     

AS I stated in my post.  DO NOT BUY THE CRUISE LINE INSURANCE AS YOU ARE NOT COVERED IF THE CRUISE LINE GOES BELLY UP!

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

Have FUN!

Honored Contributor

Bon voyage!  Hope you don't need to use the insurance!