Valued Contributor

Re: Travel List - What is yours like?

@World Traveler 

I am in the South, and  cannot cut off the AC totally and I have  2 cats in the house. <G>

I usually just set the AC temp a few degrees higher (78)  when I am out of town.    

Upstairs near a dormer window I have a light that goes on at 7PM and off at 7AM year round and it truly  does look like someone is upstairs from the street.  

When in the hotel I put out the  *DO NOT DISTURB* hanger on the door for extra security especially when I am out of the room. I don't even have houskeeping service if possible.  

I can keep a room and bathroom quite tidy for a few days myself.    

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@VaBelle35 Are you a tea connoisseur? Smiley Happy I mean, do you go to places like the Teavana, which I think is owned by Starbucks. I like to walk by that place in the mall and just inhale.

Once I went in and asked about their teas, and the gal got out a whole bunch of big round containers, opened them up and fanned the lid over the container so I could get the full effect of the aroma. I loved looking at their teacups and it reminded me of the many tiny teacups my mother used to have up on her shelves, using a different one each day. 

I'm not a big fan of drinking tea; the closest I get is Sarbucks Chi Tea Latte!

@World Traveler 

Not a connoisseur, just picky about my tea (hot or iced).  I'm pretty much an earl grey and jasmine green tea (hot and cold) person.  At home I drink the Mighty Leaf brand.

We have Teavana here but I've never gone in.  

Those who follow me on Yelp know I rate the bathrooms and the tea and iced tea everywhere.  It can ruin your meal!!  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Travel Check List - What is yours like?

I forgot to put on my checklist but mentioned it in another thread that the week or two before I leave, I get out my luggage pieces, open them up, and lay them outside to air out. It doesn't matter to me what the weather is, I just like to air them out. If the weather is warm, I like to have them out in the sun, but definitely out on my patio table if it is winter.

Also mentioned in that other thread that when I return from a trip, I air them out (hopefully it is sunny) to not only get rid of any smell from dirty clothes, but to get rid of any bugs that may have traveled home with me. I keep the pieces out for a couple of days at the very least, and then put a fabric softener sheet in each, close them up, and put them away.

If I remember (better put it on the checklist!), I also travel with a fabric sheet in the dirty clothes plastic bag (13-gallon kitchen wastebasket size). 

Valued Contributor

@VaBelle35

Checking out out the bathrooms in eating places?

You are in good company.

In his book Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain suggests checking the bathroom out and if it is dirty the kitchen is dirtier!

Keep Calm and Travel On,

CAT

Trusted Contributor

@gacat123 wrote:

@BExplorer

I have used a white noise relax APP on the I-Pad when at hotels and it is a good thing. 

My recent visit at The Westin/Savannah I requested a real  FAN and was  brought a very nice small  Honeywell  which worked out great.  The secret is to request the fan as soon as you arrive, if you wait until later they will be all out of them.   

The Honeywell fan was compact and could tilt with various speeds. I may purchase one for future car/road trip hotel visits. I like to have breezy air and the white noise sound.   

My next request  is a BALCONY!  I live on a screen porch and enjoy access to  fresh air.  

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Great tip @gacat123 about requesting a fan!  I wish I had known to do that all those years  I drug my sound machine with me.  😁

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Re: Travel Checklist - What is yours like?

[ Edited ]

I always carry a bathroom deodorizer - essential in close quarters.

ETA I like this spray: Citrus Magic, Natural Odor Eliminating Air Freshener in the Fresh Orange scent.  It really does eliminate, not cover up, and smells like cut oranges.

Valued Contributor

@ Montana 

GREAT SUGGESTION!  (thank you)

The last high priced hotels I have been in  do NOT  have an exhaust fan in the bathroom.

AIR FRESH/Eliminate ODORS  Spray may indeed  be a good thing?   

CAT

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I use my cellphone for alarm and like a watch but I've cruised a lot where my phone remains off and in the safe.  If you don't turn off cellular roaming and data, you will be hit with a huge surprise just overnight.  Many hotels and some cruises now have the automatic wake up call you set from your room phone.  If I'm on a ship I use that. 

If you stop your mail, tell a neighbor.  I've "stopped" my mail and come back to mail that is falling out of the mailbox - obviously the carrier didn't get the message.  So I tell a neighbor I'm gone and ask if they can check the second day I'm gone and if there's mail in there, ask if they can just gather and save it for me.  

Honored Contributor

My Post Office is part of the online stop/start mail system, so I can set it up online.

Because I have a tiny box as part of a community cluster, I pretty much have to turn my mail off for most trips.

I've done the thing where you get removed from junk mail 2-3 times but it creeps back up.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

You're so thorough! That's great. Does anyone stop by and get junk mail so it doesn't pile up in a box? Or, maybe in goes through a door slot.........