Honored Contributor

Re: Travel Chat - October 2017

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego

Joburg you will enjoy - think I mentioned before that I think the Apartheid Museum is a must see.

Victoria Falls will be nice - thats where I ziplined from Zambia to Zimbabwe!  Please don't do any elephant rides nor do any walk with the lions, not good for the animals and borders on animal abuse.

Hwange - oh how I loved Hwange.  I know that its big and there are many places to stay so I doubt you'll be near where I was but oh how I loved it there.

Haven't heard of Mana Pools.   Will have to Google that.

When you're out in the bush and the sun is setting, please give my regards to Zimbabwe and tell it I will be back!

Esteemed Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

@Alter Ego

Please don't do any elephant rides nor do any walk with the lions, not good for the animals and borders on animal abuse.

Earlier this year I “won” the right to buy a South African vacation. Actually I think it was a pretty good deal, but it was almost time-sharish and you had 5 years to use the deal (I didn’t accept but the Cape Town trip was tempting).  Anyways, during one of my phone calls with the sales rep, she made a big deal about how it was the highlight of some of their travelers to ride on an elephant. To which, I sucked in my breath in disapproval and said “oh no, I would NEVER do that!!”, commenting on the cruelty to the elephants.  She backpedal’d very quickly from that!

Next year, I’m going to two of the Tiger Tops camps in Nepal.  Check them out to see the proper way to treat these amazing animals!

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego  I bet that sales rep did backpedal.  One of the things that I will always regret and feel so awful about was the lion walk I did in Vic Falls when I was on safari.  At the time I did not know or have any idea what they do with the lions after they are too old to be around people.  It makes me literally ill to think I was a part of that.  I had absolutely no idea and it never entered my mind that the lions were treated that way.  Ugh, just makes me sick thinking about it and writing about it.   

Esteemed Contributor

@JudyL- I did the Lion Encounter in Zambia.  It was billed as a rehab program and the lions were released to the wild.  They seemed well kept, alert and the Rangers really loved them.   It was very hot and they said if the lions didn't feel like walking, we would be cancelled.  They had many volunteers who enjoyed caring for the lions.  I loved being close to these magnificent beasts.  Is this the same lion encounter, you say abused the animals? 

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray I can’t speak for @JudyL, but my understanding is that these types of activities are meant to get the lions acclimated to humans.  And thus easier to kill on hunts, which is where they will eventually end up.

I certainly never heard of this before.  I’m a big Amazing Race fan and thought it looked so cool when they did it - I wanted to do it too!! But then I saw the posts against it and realized that it was not something I should take part of.  Will also not take a photo with a tiger - they keep them drugged to be docile.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stray

Sorry should have clarified my response.  The place I did the lion walk was when I was in Vic Falls so very well could have been the same place you went to?  There were volunteers there also and the handlers seemed to be very caring towards the lions and, once they noticed the lions had had enough, we were done.  Not all places abuse the animals but some of the "walk with lions" type places say they put their animals out into a reserve as they are too used to humans to go out into the wild and then, unfortunately, on the reserve they are sometimes hunted.  Its sickening.  Not saying the place you and I went to was like that.  Should have made myself clear and sorry if I caused you any upset or concern.

Esteemed Contributor

I usually plan my own trips but, as I’ve mentioned before, am using a travel agent for this one as I thought it would be safer given than I’m going solo to Africa and thought would potentially be less expensive. But DAAANNNGG - I can absolutely see why they are becoming obsolete!! Just heard back from my TA about the tours I wanted in Johannesburg. Over $500 for the two!!! I just reached out to someone highly rated on TripAdvisor and got a rate less than 1/2 (checking something out, but could be less than $200 for both tours.)

There are definite pluses to travel agents - I know people who get great deals and perks on cruises in particular. They may also be fine for group tours, but I am not very happy with my city add on expenses. I am just not getting into the value I expected.

Oh well - lesson learned.
Esteemed Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

@Stray

Sorry should have clarified my response.  The place I did the lion walk was when I was in Vic Falls so very well could have been the same place you went to?  There were volunteers there also and the handlers seemed to be very caring towards the lions and, once they noticed the lions had had enough, we were done.  Not all places abuse the animals but some of the "walk with lions" type places say they put their animals out into a reserve as they are too used to humans to go out into the wild and then, unfortunately, on the reserve they are sometimes hunted.  Its sickening.  Not saying the place you and I went to was like that.  Should have made myself clear and sorry if I caused you any upset or concern.

@JudyL- no prob.  I send money to Lion Encounter because I was impressed with how they care for them and followed them after release.  The ranger even knew them by scars.  One ranger told me that the hardest part for him was that after release, the lions recognize him and will walk up to him but he can't even touch the lion or call it by name even tho he helped raise the lion.   But, if that was not true and the lions were abused, I'd never send a dime.  I love those magnificent animals.  I can't imagine why anyone would kill these creatures just for the hunt. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@Stray I can’t speak for @JudyL, but my understanding is that these types of activities are meant to get the lions acclimated to humans.  And thus easier to kill on hunts, which is where they will eventually end up.

I certainly never heard of this before.  I’m a big Amazing Race fan and thought it looked so cool when they did it - I wanted to do it too!! But then I saw the posts against it and realized that it was not something I should take part of.  Will also not take a photo with a tiger - they keep them drugged to be docile.

@Alter Ego- the lions at Lion Encounter were born there and raised because the population is dwindling; it's a breeding program.   They aren't hand fed but are accustomed to the Rangers and people but they are released, collared and followed to be sure they can survive.  They are released by age 2.  They gave us twigs in the event a lion appeared to be getting aggressive ....they stressed it wasn't to hurt the lion in any way but to swish it around on the ground and the cat will play with it like a domestic cat. Of course, I tried and my lion broke my stick.  It was very hot and we paid for the encounter but they told us if the lions did not want to walk in the heat, it wouldn't be done.   I felt the rangers really loved the animals and one said the biggest thrill for him is when one of his Lions forms/joins  his/her own pride and the next generation comes along.   They were very gentle and loving toward the animals....once they leave and are released, they are not permitted to interact.  I hope I wasn't misled because I do donate to the program.  I went to Africa because of my love of animals. 

Esteemed Contributor

This came up in my sponsored Facebook feed.  I can’t remember- do we know what the TSV is yet?

9E6292CC-EDA6-4951-B237-FBBB763CBC41.png