Honored Contributor

Travel Chat - November 2018

[ Edited ]

Another month has gone by and I have enjoyed many of the travel threads that were started. These are the ones that caught my attention in October:

Any Chicagoans here? by @pietook

Anyone Traveling on Thanksgiving Day? by @tockerman

Back From My Carribean Cruise by @NicksmomESQ

Get Your Titanic Tickets by @Kachina 624

Heys Luggage by @Greeneyedlady21

How Do You Pack Dirty Laundry on a Long Trip? by @joannecha

Just Returned from Cuba – Cruise by @Happiness is Inside JOB

Leaving on a Caribbean Cruise Tomorrow by @NicksmomESQ 

Lug BOGO by @pinkmochi 

Paris by @GusMo 

Sandals Resorts or Anniversary Get-Aways by @Mumof2 

Travel Journal Apps by @Mizglitz

Visit to LL Bean Flagship Store in Freeport, Maine by @joannecha 

What if I get Seasick on my Alaskan Cruise? by @depglass 

What is the Best Time to Visit the Redwood Trees by @tockerman 

What travel plans do you have coming up?

Respected Contributor

Re: Travel Chat - November 2018

Nothing in November, but Punta Cana ( Dominican Republic) on December 5th. Cannot wait to escape.😎🌞🍹🌴🏖🏝

Honored Contributor

Totally bummed out right now. My seven-country plans for next summer just got a hiccup. The travel company I like to use called yesterday and said that one of the countries is in turmoil and it is not expected to be alleviated by the time I am scheduled to arrive. It has to do with their own internal strife. The company is suspending their tours until they feel it is safe again.

Ordinarily, I would not think another thing about it and move on; however, this country was sort of in the middle of the itinerary with the other countries, so that leaves me with nine days without plans. Don't mind a few days, but nine is a bit much. 

If I fly home and then back into that region again to pick up the remaining countries that are still okay to travel to, that means I have four international flights instead of two. I like to combine countries that are near each other in order to save on the cost of international flights. 

Oh, well.....we'll see what I come up with. Am thinking I might go clear to the opposite side of the world and perhaps try this current trip a couple of years from now.

Going to think about it for a bit. Perhaps this weekend I can work something new out.

So sad; too bad. Move on! ha!

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler

Oh no!  I’m so sorry to hear this, but at least you are finding out now and have time to make changes. I’m sure it’s disappointing, but you will find an amazing alternative.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego Yes, very disappointing. I wondered why they weren't scheduling my flights in September, like they usually do. When I called in October, they said they were checking on something and would get back to me. Evidently they have been keeping in close contact with the guides in that country and finally decided to cancel all trips they had scheduled to it.

My other bucket list was to go to Norway for a cruise around the country, as much as you can. But I checked last night and there are no single rooms left and I don't want to pay the extra for a double room. Although, come to think of it, I have traveled with the company 14 times, so maybe I have some clout I can use. ha!

Esteemed Contributor

I’m always looking at travel sites and looking at their tour ideas. I’ve really begun to like the idea of traveling during a holiday. I can’t do it for a few years, but I’ve become interested in going to India to celebrate Holi (and get doused in that bright paint) or to Mexico for the Day of the Dead celebrations.

Has anyone done either or similar? I know several people travel to Europe during the Christmas holidays and I love hearing their reports.
Honored Contributor

Just finished reading the December 2018 issue of Consumer Reports and thought you might all be interested in a study they did on luggage, based upon 13,780 CR members' responses to questions about satisfaction with carry-on suitcases. Here are the results with percentage rating from best to least satisfied:

Briggs & Riley (I own one, which has a lifetime guarantee)

3Bags

Eagle Creek

L.L. Bean

Rick Steves (love this brand)

Kirkland (Costco)

It Luggage

Tumi

London Fog

Travelpro

Hartmann

Eddie Bauer

Victorinox

Swiss Gear

Ricardo Beverly Hills

Samsonite

Skyway

Delsey

Atlantic

American Tourister

Heys 

They also did a survey of 52,089 CS members reporting on their experiences reflected on 96,897 economy-class domestic flights. Here were the results, with the first one having the highest satisfaction rate:

Southwest Airlines

Alaska Airlines

JetBlue Airways

Hawaiian Airlines

Delta Air lines

Allegiant Airlines

American Airlines

United Airlines

Frontier Airlines

Spirit Airlines

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

Pardon the interruption-

I saw this and I immediately thought of you-

Image of kate spade new york train tickets oblong silk scarf

Image of kate spade new york train tickets oblong silk scarf

Kate Spade at Nordstrom Rack-Style #KS1001316

Details

A whimsical train-ticket print creates a vintage-vibe geometric effect on a tissueweight silk scarf that makes a perfect accessory to adventure. - 80" x 30" - 100% silk - Hand wash, line dry

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono I want it! I want it! I want it! Smiley LOL

That is so, so cool. I have never seen anything like that. Perfect. Am going to need to prompt some friends or relatives to do some Christmas shopping with me in mind. ha!

You can interrupt any time you want. Heart

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

Okay, how do you feel about the Great Wall of China and Paris?