Honored Contributor

Travel Chat - May 2018

[ Edited ]

April went by so fast for me, but that might be because I was really interested in the new threads. Quite a variety! I know I say this every month, but I really do learn a lot from all of you...new places to go (am contemplating Colombia because of @CoffeeNut) and rethinking how I purchase my flight tickets (thanks to the post by@Sweetcheeks723)

Looking forward to May's new threads, but if you didn't catch them all last month, here is what we were talking about in April:

6 Days in Vegas by @Miss Shelly

60 Minutes – Allegiant Airlines by @FrostyBabe1 

Africa Trip – by @tdog

Another Hawaii Cruise Question by @reiki604    

Cruises and Hawaii Cabin Choices – Norwegian by @bonnielu 

Disney World With Service Dog by @Fiero Woman 

Fly to Hawaii and Then Cruise Advice by @bonnielu

Fort Worth Area Restaurant by @Travone 

Games and puzzles while traveling

Gift for Traveling Kids by @lolakimono 

How Cold Does It Get on a Ship? by @CalminHeart 

Just Cruises by @bargainsgirl 

My Norwegian Cruise Review by @Lipstickdiva 

NYC Day Tours by @bkgirl

One-Way Flight Tickets by @Sweetcheeks723 

Questions About Canada by @crazered 

Rear View Mirror: A Look Back at Road Trips Through the Years

Tennessee by @ScrapHappy 

The Insanely Pricey Features of Luxury Motorhomes

The Top 10 Most Extreme Travel Adventures in the World

This Woman Knows How to Travel – Dominizue Sachse Spring Break by @GingerPeach 

Train Trip – Liverpool to London by @Dobilyn 

Travel Agent Advice – Has Anyone Used AAA (Triple A to Take a Cruise?) by @bonnielu 

Trip Report – Bogota, Colombia by @CoffeeNut 

Vacation as Far Off the Beaton Track as It’s Possible to Get

Videos and/or Photos by @Mz iMac 

Wishing all a Happy Easter by @BalletBabe

Happy travels to all, even if it is only in your chair watching travel adventures on TV! Heart

Honored Contributor

Travel alert for anyone planning to pass thru southern WV on I-77 North or South in the next 6 months.   

Starting within the next next week or so, extensive paving work will begin on both the north and south lanes of the interstate between the East River Mountain tunnel and the Princeton Exit 9 (Welcome Center, hotels, and restaurant row).   Only one lane will be open for thru traffic in both directions during this very lengthy paving project; northbound big truck traffic will be detoured to US Route 460 at the Bluefield Exit, which I believe is Exit 1, and southbound traffic will be detoured to US 460 at Exit 9.   There will be NO access to the Ingleside exit, which I think is Exit 5.  

Those of us who use these roads frequently to access main areas of Mercer County know this will be a HUGE nightmare.   Due to the number of traffic lights on US 460 in the Exit 9 area, there will be a continuous bottleneck once the big rigs have to use this route to get back onto I-77.   More than 7,000 vehicles are expected to be re-routed daily during this road project.

Please be careful if you are planning to pass thru our beautiful state during the next 6 months!   

Esteemed Contributor

A sneak peek from my trip.  Will post report when I get back.

A hint of what I’ve seen...

F7F2FACC-0E6A-4141-B002-B19047C2E832.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego Oh, you are such a tease! ha!

Well, I don't recognize the buildings in those sunglasses, but I see palm trees, so maybe you are in Florida or California (or a nice hotel that wants to look tropical!). Or maybe some Caribbean island?

Since you are waiting until you get home to do a report on your trip, I am guessing it is a short get-away rather than a prolonged trip, like you took to Australia. I know if you were gone for a long time, you wouldn't want to wait to show all the pictures you normally take when you go globe-trotting.

I think we should have a prize for the person who recognizes the buildings and can pinpoint your whereabouts! Right? LOL!

Be sure to do a separate trip report thread when you post all about your adventures (because you ALWAYS have an adventure!). Heart

Honored Contributor

Abu Dhabi? I know it's not close by but the buildings looked like some pictures I have seen recently. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ Hmmmmm.....could be. You never know with @Alter Ego. She is quite adventurous, and it would be an adventure going there. 

She is our own Carmen Sandiego (Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?)! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ Hmmmmm.....could be. You never know with @Alter Ego. She is quite adventurous, and it would be an adventure going there. 

She is our own Carmen Sandiego (Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?)! Smiley LOL

@World Traveler.  Yeah, hard to tell. Buildings could be distorted in the sunglasses.

Yes, Carmen Sandiego!

Honored Contributor

Which reminds me.......with @Alter Ego traveling to parts unknown (for now!), I have to say that the idea of doing one of the Mystery Tours you can find on the Internet would be fun.

I posted about it quite sometime ago. The bottom line is that you pay for a trip and don't know where you are going until you get to the airport (well, you can peek at the contents of the packet when it arrives about a week before). Just think that would be fun to do and report back to everyone. 

You indicate the amount you are willing to pay, and based upon that guideline, the company sets out to create a vacation/adventure for you. I think their website also asks you some questions, making sure they know any limitations you may have or absolute no-no's of places you would hate to be sent.

Read someone's account of it online and they said it was really fun, worth the money, and would do it again. There is one company like that in San Francisco (which is what the article was about when this gal wrote).

One of these days I just have to do that!

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ Is correct, but I’m leaving today for main event.  @World Traveler Won’t have Wi-Fi so holding off posting report until I get back.

Honored Contributor

I am getting that travel itch again - esp the Africa travel itch...Ugh... still will be a while before I'll be travelling again but today I am so aching to be there.  

I see @Alter Ego is on an adventure.  Will be good to hear from her when she gets back.

@World Traveler

Have you decided yet where you'll go next?

Hope everyone is having a good day!