Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego Thanks for posting those. They are REALLY GREAT things that I believe to be true about travel. Heart

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler  and ALL, 

I am still in sad shock about the death of Anthony Bourdain. 

I LOVED THAT GUY!  He was so cool, witty, wordy, dry humor and very curious. 

I read his book  *Kitchen Confidential*  a long time ago and became a major  fan.  

He loved travel and food and I enjoyed his adventures very much.   

Anthony Bourdain will be missed by many.

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

QVC Customer Care

@World Traveler

Do I get to vote as well? I just love reading (and moderating) the Travel Forum but loved loved the report from Nepal. One of my favorite places...so thanks to Alter Ego!

Beth QVC

Honored Contributor

@Beth-QVC Your vote is ALWAYS welcomed! Heart

And we agree....@Alter Ego's report was loved by all. She is such a great poster when it comes to showing us what she saw and experienced. She's a keeper in our forum!

Instead of "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego," we say, "Where in the World is Alter Ego"?  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Beth-QVC Sounds like you’ve been to Nepal? Did you go trekking?  So many people I ran into had amazing things to say about Pokhara.

QVC Customer Care

Re: Travel Chat - June 2018

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego

Several times we went trekking...but then it was in the mists of time.

Beth QVC

Honored Contributor

Hey, everyone....looks like we might have some interesting things presented this coming Thursday, June 21. The programming is called Travel in Style, and all I can gather from some info is that it will be "Luggage, Apparel, Beauty, and Jewelry." 

I have all the episodes ready to be DVR'd for watching after work.

If anyone knows more about this show, which will have several airings during Thursday, please share here. It starts off the day (midnight eastern time), so it must be a TSV of sorts. Not seen a TSV show done like this, with a title that doesn't tell you which specific thing is the TSV. Let's hope it is EVERYTHING that is presented! ha!

Trusted Contributor

Interesting update about this Thursday, the 21st.  I'm betting that the TSV is a new Lug bag.  Hmmm.  Must set the DVR!  

2018 is turning out to have lots of travel for me.  In February I was in Norway (stress fracture of a right foot metatarsal cross country skiing!), in May I was on my first ever cruise ship to Alaska (for the wedding of my step-son) and we're planning an October trip to Italy in October.  

I read the article on the thread about locations with too much tourism and its dismaying that Venice no longer wants tourists. I hope I can take DH there in October as he's never seen it. Having been myself three times, it is a magical place.  I'm counting on fewer tourists in October, although I know it will still be crowded.   Having recently been on a cruise ship, I'm convinced that the explosion of this industry is responsible for much of the woes experienced by coastal destinations.  I know many enjoy the cruise experience, but I doubt I will ever go on another.

I also live in a very popular summer tourist location and I can tell you, the crowds are already beginning to annoy me.  It's very good for local business and makes my community a very special place for much of the year - one of the reasons why we live here - but the extra traffic, crowded local restaurants, and entitlements do try one's patience.   

P.S.  Just got a message that e-bags is having an up to 70% off sale....travel on!

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10 Oh, no! fracture of the foot while skiing? Everything okay; any residual effects from that? Hopefully, you got some skiing in BEFORE that happened!

Did you enjoy the cruise to Alaska? It's a favorite trip of mine that my sister and I took our father on just prior to his death. Wonderful memories of our last time on a trip with him. Beautiful country.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, WT for your kindness!  The stress fracture sure takes a while to heal completely.  We wanted to hike a bit in Alaska while in port, but my foot acted up just walking from the Mendenhall Glacier visitor center to the "photo spot" closer to the glacier and the terrific waterfall nearby.  We didn't push it because I didn't want to reinjure it and run the risk of limping through Italy in October.  

The Alaskan scenery was beautiful.  Rugged and so green!  It was the first cruise to Alaska of the season for the ship we were on, so it was very rainy and a bit chilly. For excursions we visited the Mendenhall Glacier National Park, and took the Skagway scenic railway tour.  Both were ok.  The tour didn't allow enough time in the Mendenhall visitor center and we felt a bit rushed, but again, the scenery was fabulous.  The train ride was fun, but the weather was misty and grey and didn't make for terrific photos or long views.  Again, not the fault of anyone except Mother Nature!  

I'm so glad I stumbled across the Travel forum, as it's now my favorite place to visit on these boards!  

I so enjoyed Alter Egos tour of Nepal.  Wow, what a trip!  That's what I call a trip of a life time!  

Very curious about this Thursday's travel day on the Q.  Anyone else hoping it's a Lug Bag TSV???  

I did do some cross country skiing in Norway and it was extraordinary!  We happened to be there at the beginning of the Olympics and the Norwegian athletes were winning everything.  There was so much spirit in the locals, it was just such a 'happy place' to be.  They seem to take winter in their stride and make the best of it.  No matter how cold, there were folks walking downtown Oslo, shopping, dining, etc.  I would go back there in a heartbeat to see what summer is like.  I recommend it.