Honored Contributor

Travel Chat - December 2017

[ Edited ]

Well, December is upon us and I am looking forward to all the new threads I know will be coming. Hopefully, you will be posting about where you went for the holidays, including @BalletBabe always interesting twists on her various travels in her neighborhood!

This is what I enjoyed in November:

In-Terminal Airport Transit by @SXMGirl 

Still No LUG Bag by @JudyL

NYC Travel Questions by @bargainsgirl 

Conde Naste Article – American Airlines Flight Attendant Celebrates 60 years, by @VaBelle35 

Time Share Presentations by @Mmsfoxxie 

Trip Report – Johannesburg and Zimbabwe by @Alter Ego - sorry, can never get your name to come up the proper way unless I am replying to one of your posts. Smiley Sad  

Lug Puddle Jumper 2 or Boxer? by @sweetP

Asheville NC Sights by @Shanus

Guess What Finally Arrived Today! by @JudyL 

20 Places That Are Straight Out of Fairy Tales

Hot New Vacation Rental: Barns

Lug – Quilted Puddle Jumper Wheelie Advice for Carry-on by @bonnielu 

Travel Cubes on QVC

NYC Hampton Inn 8th Near 51st by @granddi 

Returned from our trip to Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion by @itsmagic 

Cute Carry-On Suitcase for Kids

Shoes for NYC in January by @GusMo 

Traveling insurance for medicare recipients by @Hoovermom 

Today I Traveled to Wally World, aka Walmart by @BalletBabe

What if your take on this? Boarding the plane in a wheelchair by @bonnielu 

12 Mind-Blowing, Affordable Adventures for Your Bucket List

Delta Air Lines Flight Attendant – One of the Most Competitive Jobs Out There

10 of the Coolest Parks Parks for RV Camping

Frontier Airlines by @Reever 

Flying with Gifts During Holiday Season by @Plaid Pants2 - sorry, your notification doesn't work/come up for me Smiley Sad

Lupa in Greenwich Village by @bargainsgirl 

Airline Fare Errors = Cheap Fares by @Mz iMac - the two-name notifications don't work for me Smiley Sad

Eagerly looking forward to your December travel posts!

Honored Contributor

Re: Travel Chat - December 2017

Well, I am grounded from travelling especially on airplanes.  I am still recovering from macular hole surgeries on both eyes.faint.gif 

This is the first time in eons that I will be home under house arrest during the holiday season. icon_exclaim.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac Oh, so sorry. What does that entail......surgery for that? Painful or just a nuisance? I have never heard of macular holes. Same as macular degeneration?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler

Surgery is a nuisance.  No pain whatsoever.  Gas is inserted into the eye to close the hole.  For 2 weeks you have/see a gas bubble. 

In my case, for 1 week I had to keep my head in a prayer position for 7 days, sleep on my right side (lt eye surgery), sleep on my lt side (rt eye surgery), no flying, no driving, dancing, sudden head movement, no showers, no washing of face, eye drops around the clock.

Macular Holes are corrected through surgery.  With out it, you will be unable to see/read small print, vision is blury, detatched retna possible.

I was lucky because my surgeon did a new surgical procedure.  Not only did I have gas inserted into my eyes, he flapped the hole edges over each other as the gas was inserted.  My holes were huge.  The gas acts like cement as it dissolves inside your eyeball.  Again, no pain.  You are completely knocked out!  Riding on cloud 9 when awoke.whistling.gif

Macular Degeneration leads to blindness.  No cure.  The progression of blindness can be slowed if discovered in time.  Not sure if surgery will help.

LINK--> Macular Hole

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac WOW! Had no idea about what that was. Thanks for the link. And please keep us up to date on your recuperation.

Hope you will be your usual self soon! Heart

Respected Contributor

Wow indeed. Hope the surgery helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac, I have never heard of that, but I hope that your recuperation goes very well.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

@World Traveler  and ALL,

LUG ALERT!  Just saw a new  backpack/tote   *V I A*  showing on QVC.   (12/1)

Cost around $90  

Check it out if you dare!  HA!   

Keep Calm LUG On, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

Well, I am grounded from travelling especially on airplanes.  I am still recovering from macular hole surgeries on both eyes.faint.gif 

This is the first time in eons that I will be home under house arrest during the holiday season. icon_exclaim.gif

@Mz iMac

Understand, 😟. Love the purple guy above, s/he gets it!

Grounded by knee replacement, watch out Spring!

P.S. glad to see you are no longer a big red X.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

We are back from a brief trip with stops in Italy, Switzerland and Paris.  The weather in Italy was beautiful, sunny and mid 50s.  Rome looked beautiful decked out in Christmas decorations. (Florence & Venice were lovely too)

Switzerland was cold and snowy.  Lucerne (Luzern) is one of my favorite cities and looked exceptionally beautiful. (the snow added to the holiday feeling)

Paris was an unusual experience.  The weather was buckets of rain and raw.  The most famous French rock star, Johnny Hallyday died last week and his funeral was Saturday. (so NOTHING moved)  The streets were packed with mourning fans as well as the rich and famous.(past and present Prime Ministers spoke)  His funeral was like a state funeral.  The Eiffel tower had somber, gray lights on it.

Johnny Hallyday was France's Elvis Presley.  I vaguely remember him from when I spent the summer of 1967 in France.  Apparently he was quite a character married 5 times. (his present wife is a young, beautiful blond)  He was 74 but seriously looked much older.

We flew United, Economy Plus and had a lot of room.  We checked our bags curbside and our porter gave us TSA pre-approved check-in.

We won't discuss what a PIA Charles DeGaulle airport is.