Esteemed Contributor

Travel Agent Advice... Has anyone use AAA (Triple A to take a cruise)?

We have a choice.  Use a local travel agent to book a cruise to Hawaii or use our AAA.  Seems price point is the same and both agents seem really helpful, but wondering if there is any advantage to go through our membership with Triple A.

Honored Contributor

Re: Travel Agent Advice... Has anyone use AAA (Triple A to take a cruise)?

I've used Triple A a few times and had excellent service. It wasn't for a cruise, though. I have a lot of trust in AAA and would take them over an agent.

Does the agent come highly recommended by friends who have used this agent? How long has he/she been in business? Lots to consider.

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids Thanks for your answer.  I will perhaps reconsider  my choices.  

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who is a travel agent and has many clients, she works very hard for them, and has relationships with the hotels, etc 

I might go with the personal relationship here 

however I have never used either

Esteemed Contributor

I just used AAA for a different trip, not a cruise. However, when I went to pick up my paperwork, I saw some paperwork about cruising. Not sure if this is correct, but it looked like AAA charged for changes. So, if you go with them, make sure you know the bottom line. (True for any travel agent, really.) Frankly, for my trip, I certainly didn’t save any money and the excursions she tried to sell me were 3 times what I paid for that I found myself. Of course, that wasn’t a cruise, like I said. Also, maybe it’s different depending on the office (and I was given phone numbers with my paperwork for emergencies), but I assumed that someone from AAA would be available 24/7; that when I called my agent’s number, that someone would pickup even if not her. Not true - important for cruises as only the TA can call for price cuts (which they don’t watch for.)

Also, do you get anything extra with either? On board credit? Free specialty restaurant? The base cost may be the same, but extras may help out with the cost.

Like it’s already been said, a personal travel agent may be wonderful and very accommodating, but you need to research them too.
Esteemed Contributor

I just went to a local travel agent.She quoted me a price that was almost $2000 more than my son found for me online.The hotel I was interested in was running a special. The agent didn’t tell us that because that is how they make their money.They up the price. Just be aware & consider double checking for yourself!!

Respected Contributor

AAA and travel agents are great if you can not do it yourself online and prefer to pay someone else to do the work for you.  It is NOT to save $$ these services are designed to MAKE money for them and make it easier for you.  Choose wisely or you can have a headache that was not cheap.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ My opinion only, but I think travel agents are horrible if you are just going to a city.  In addition to overcharging for daily tours that I mentioned above, I had a different instance where a tour estimate was 2 times or more what I was able to do myself.  I think cruises are a little different as the base price is whatever the cruise lines give, but hate using TA’s for city hotels!

Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego   My son just booked a fabulous cruise directly through the cruise line. They were running a special & he got a free upgrade.The travel agent quoted him a price for the upgraded cabin & never mentioned the freebie!! I think travel agents are getting desperate.

Honored Contributor

Book directly with the cruise line.  We actually use United airlines to book our cruises because my husband gets miles for every dollar spent on the cruise.  Otherwise I would book directly or if you want help, use a cruise only website like cruise critic or vacationstogo.