Contributor

Train Trip Liverpool to London

I am going on a cruise in June.  One port stop is Liverpool, England. We will be in port 2 days.  We would like to go to London while there.  No excursion  to London is offered by cruise line.  It's a 2 hour train trip from Liverpool to London, but we don't know if it would be a doable excursion on our own.  Has anyone ever done this?  If so, is the London train station in a location that would be easy to sight see and shop?

Super Contributor

Re: Train Trip Liverpool to London

yes , I am from uk , home town is Liverpool and I lived in London 9 yrs . So when I fly from USA to Liverpool every yr I go on a day trip to London to see friends . 

You will not get to see a lot of London in a day , maybe stay the night and get back the next day . It will still be a push . The train gets into Euston which is right in London city and has tube links there too . But if you really want to see certain things go for it .

But if you want to relax , why not sight see Liverpool .

It was the capital of culture a few yrs back . Beautiful architecture , museums , art gallerys , there is a tour bus to see the Beatles homes etc . Top football [soccer]teams x2 dont forget Everton .2 Cathedrals .I could go on .

And of course the people you meet will be so friendly too .

Honored Contributor

Unless you're planning to stay overnight in London, going there for a day seems somewhat useless to me unless you just want to say you've been there.  We were in Liverpool on a cruise and loved it.  We had beautiful weather, went to the Beatles exhibit and just walked around the city.  Very much enjoyed it.  London deserves more than a day.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Unless you're planning to stay overnight in London, going there for a day seems somewhat useless to me unless you just want to say you've been there.  We were in Liverpool on a cruise and loved it.  We had beautiful weather, went to the Beatles exhibit and just walked around the city.  Very much enjoyed it.  London deserves more than a day.

Having lived there, I agree.  Unless you have one or two specific things you are dying to see, I wouldn't go to London either and I LOVE London.  Just enjoy Liverpool and surroundings.