Honored Contributor

Here in Wisconsin, we have many reputable bus companies which offer tours all over the US and Canada.  I think the fall color tours to New England are very popular.

Valued Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

One of the things that I disliked about cruising was that nearly all of the shore excursions involved riding a bus, which I really dislike. Imagine how I surprised myself last fall by going a Cosmos tour to several national parks. I flew in to Las Vegas, and then spent 8 days at Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Zion National Parks. We also went to Monument Valley and Lake Powell. I did a couple of helicopter trips, along with a LOT of hiking. The majority of my fellow group members were from Australia and New Zealand and also viewed the bus ride as a just a way to get where we were going, rather than the trip itself. I had a great time!

@this sounds very much like a tour we took a few years ago, right after we retired..it was a Trafalgar tour, booked through AAA.  We flew into Phoenix, & after a casual welcome dinner @ the hotel, left early the next am..the bus was newer, totally comfy, with WIFI, we visited the above areas, the hotels were about a 3-4* level, most meals included (always a buffet-type breakfast) 

the other passengers were all different ages, a couple of families, couples, & even a few singles..we really had a great tour guide & got to know our driver as well. We changed seats every day, got a different view from all sides of the bus.

We did have to get a pretty early start to the day (usually luggage by your door by 6:30 or so & bus would leave around 7:30 or so), lots to cover in a day, but time to settle in before dinner & bedtime. I think the tour is currently described & available in the AAA mag that we receive monthly.

We opted to spend an extra night in Vegas, before we headed home, it was a very enjoyable week & we are considering doing it again. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tour Buses trips

[ Edited ]

DH and I did a Tauck tour in 2015 that was 11 days from Edinburgh, Scotland ending in London.  TAuck tours are pretty high end and the bus, the accommodations, meals and our guide were top notch but I will never do another bus tour.    I hated spending hours on that bus.

THe Tauck website currently shows three different tours lasting 7-9 days all departing from BOston.

Trusted Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

We require freedom to do where we want when we want. and we don't like doing touristy  things. So, organized tours of any kind are out. However, my elderly aunt has taken a number of bus tours and enjoyed them. She is happy with the usual tourist stops and doesn't mind everything being planned out for her ( which I would hate). It lets her get away without the worrybif driving. AARP, regionalntravel magazines, and state- sponsored tourism publications often carry ads for such tour companies. 

My mom loves them but I, like you, absolutely hate anything organized. 

I will say that after a layover 2 days in Beijing recently (on the way to New Zealand), I would love to go back but even my husband agreed that we would only go with an organized tour.  Even for us experienced world travelers it is a very difficult place to get around.  Of course one can hire $500/day taxi driver who barely speaks English :-)