Esteemed Contributor

Today I traveled to my garage

Seriously, I went out to see my parrot.  I look down and there is a giant Palmetto roach.  So , I run in the house and get the Raid.  It says kills instantly.  Really????  When I went back out , I could not find him.  Well after a few minutes , he shows his ugly face to me again.  I said I had enough of you! 

I sprayed him and the brat started coming after me!!  I was ready to have the big one.  I am running backwards spraying him, do you think he would die---Nope.  I finally run into my kitchen screaming and slam the door.  A few minutes later I open the door slowly and he is still alive sitting in front of my Dryer.  So I spray him again and fly in the house.  I finally calmed down and opened the door and he was upside down.  

Now my foot is swollen.  I guess I won't be traveling anymore this week.  This is the second time I had one chase me.  This is getting old.

Honored Contributor

Re: Today I traveled to my garage

@BalletBabe.  Isn't living in a tropical climate a joy?  You're lucky Mr. Palmetto didn't fly up in your face.  I heard the venomous snakes in Texas are appearing early, so it could be worse.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

What?  Okay, they are creepy, but they do not sting or bite.  My guess is that they don’t like to be sprayed with Raid.  I’ll bet your bird didn’t like to breath the Raid chemicals either.

it would have been  more prudent to just open  the garage door and sweep him out with a broom.  Easy and no chemicals.

I once had one in the shower with me...and I have to admit that they are creepy, but harmless.  My DH removed him for me....I didn’t have my trusty broom with me while on vacation.

Honored Contributor

I don't see them a lot but I just want to know how come my spouse never sees them...it's a conspiracy at night i go in the garage to do my laundry (ugh) and there's always at least one gigantic roach in there.  but, i'm smart now before I turn on the lightI have my Raid can in hand😳🙀😬

After I spray 1/2 the can on iit -- i go in house to peek out the door to see if he's upside down most times he's not because I've missed that ###@@@&&&*** by a mile! 😤😤😤😤

But I'm determined and finally get him!!!! Hate my laundry is in garage especially during humid-rainy days.

And those lovebugs are getting on my nerves already 🙄

glad your ok!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@BalletBabe.  Isn't living in a tropical climate a joy?  You're lucky Mr. Palmetto didn't fly up in your face.  I heard the venomous snakes in Texas are appearing early, so it could be worse.

Hi Kachina!   Yes some things like those roaches scare me so bad.  I come in screaming and don't know why cause I live alone and no one can hear me.  LOL  When I lived up North the spiders were nasty.  Those long legged ones? 

If he would have flown in my face I would have had the big one.  I need to call exterminator.  Once he comes , I see nothing.  I lived up North most of my life, and I love the tropical climate.  I have never seen any snakes, but the black ones.  I keep my door closed most of the time now, so that helps.  I have a friend that one got into her laundry basket.  She pulled the clothes out of the dryer and left them in basket and brought him in the house.   I would have had the big one.  

We have been in the 80's for several weeks and that concerns me because if the water gets too warm , we will have another hurricane season like last year.  It did get cold but only long enough to kill all my plants. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  I try not to spray around the parrot and I brought her in the house and opened the door for awhile.  I just hope another one didn't come in.  My exterminator saw the bird seed on the floor and said man this is like the Golden Coral for them.  UGH  So I vacumn and blow the garage out daily.

Respected Contributor

I live in Az. my 1st house was like that, had exterminator every month next day after he left saw a few dead bodies ewwwwwww. My house now haven't seen one & You get a mop or something and beat that roach, those sprays only stun them. Sometimes you just got to step on them. Guess I will be hearing from PETA now. 

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1  The reason is probably because they are nocturnal.   They are not out during the day.   My Realtor told me they like to come in when it rains, so I put an umbrella out for them last year.  That didn't work.  LOL

THe first year I lived here , I was up late as usual and hubby was sound asleep as usual.  I got up to read and try to get sleepy, and I looked up and This Giant Roach was in a fake fig tree.  I ran again and got the Raid.  I chased him all over the living room spraying him and nothing would kill him.  He finally went in the kitchen and was sitting in the front of the fridge.  I went in and woke hubby and said help me there is a giant roach in the kitchen, he said oh hun we will get him in the morning---I THOUGHT WHAT?????? So I took a huge phone book I had and went in slowly and dropped the phonebook on him.  I took a post it note and wrote on it Warning Palmetto Roach under this book.   LOLOLOL

He said he never remembered me waking him 

Honored Contributor

Would you believe I've not seen a roach since I left Houston in 1992?  I've lived in dry, arid places since then.  I also have not seen a flea except on dogs our rescue group brought in from the Houston area.  I also don't have mosquitos so I can sit on the patio in the evenings and watch the sun set on the mountains.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@BalletBabe - you've got a heck of a lot more guts than I would, chasing that roach around, sneaking up on him and dropping a phonebook on him....I would be running from the house like my hair was on fire!!!!  I am deathly afraid of bugs...especially ones you could probably ride like a horse.  I could NEVER live in a tropical climate as I'm sure I would have a heart attack the first time I came in contact with any type of huge bug such as the one you described!!

I wish you luck in combat!!!