Honored Contributor

Re: Today I traveled to Walmart

@stevieb wrote:

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

@BalletBabe: The thing that irritates me most about Walmart is the employee who blocks the exit & wants to compare what you have in your bags to your receipt! I understand, like any retailer, that loss prevention is a major concern, but I don't think I should have to allow some stranger to view the items I have purchased! As far as I'm concerned, they have cameras, security throughout the store, cashiers. That's when they should be monitoring me! But once I've paid for my items, they are mine, & nobody else's business! Unfortunately, they have squeezed out many other retailers in my area; 3 grocery stores & several "general" stores, to name a few, & I find myself patronizing WM sometimes when I happen to be on that side of town, but I try not to make it a habit! 

@Foolywooly11 It does seem really stupid when they position these people between the checkout and the door. I mean, they can clearly see that you have bags and that you just checked out. I realize shoplifters can be very creative, but it seems like it would be hard to snag something extra between the check-out and the door. One has to assume this is not where they're losing a lot of their merchandise to theft.

You are correct, the greatest retail losses are due to shrinkage.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

Why you ask????  I have no clue.  No cashiers and long lines.  Is it Christmas or something???  I came home and ventured out in the yard.  Someone explain to me why I have a rooster and a chicken hanging out here?    I am not on a farm last time I checked?    

@BalletBabe I love your sense of humor. Smiley LOL Always look forward to your posts. Heart

@World Traveler  Thanks, I am glad somone understands me.  LOL

@BalletBabe Oh, I totally get you. Such fun! But your best thread so far is "Traveled to the Mailbox Today." I laughed and laughed! I smile while reading your posts. I always know that it will be an interesting read.

I have a couple of relatives who have the same sense of humor you do. Sometimes I get it and sometimes it takes a few days before I get what they were saying. Then it hits me and I laugh and laugh! 

Keep it up!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foolywooly11wrote:

The thing that irritates me most about Walmart is the employee who blocks the exit & wants to compare what you have in your bags to your receipt! I understand, like any retailer, that loss prevention is a major concern, but I don't think I should have to allow some stranger to view the items I have purchased!

As far as I'm concerned, they have cameras, security throughout the store, cashiers. That's when they should be monitoring me! But once I've paid for my items, they are mine, & nobody else's business! 

I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

The other day, a saleslady asked me if I needed help with anything and I said that I was just looking around. She then asked if I was buying for myself.

Trusted Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower: I worked in retail sales many years ago, & there was alot of pressure to sell. We were told to say things like, "Is there anything special you're looking for today?".Anything to engage the shopper. I learned that for me, timing was everything. Most of the time, I found that I got better responses to a simple "hello", & a smile. Then, I'd make myself available, if needed, but "busied" myself, so I didn't give the impression that I was watching the shopper's every move. When I shop, I feel uncomfortable if the salesperson is "on top" of me. I want to be able to browse at my leisure, without answering questions! And, I relate to that condescending tone of some salespeople; almost as if you don't "belong" in their store in the 1st place! I always treated all customers equally. It was surprising at times to see which patrons really had the money!

Honored Contributor

This is the saddest post I'll ever write.

I'm really getting good at the self-check.

There, I've said it........

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

I can't take Walmart on any day. Your comment about the rooster and chicken is too funny. 

Trusted Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower: Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to imply that at all. My thoughts were flooding in, thinking about times when I felt out of place in a store, & I suppose it came across in my reply! And I thought about some of the things I've heard other salespeople say about customers when I worked in a high-end store for a short time. I didn't feel as though I belonged there! And I was hired on as the assistant manager! I grew up in a relatively poor household, &, in my younger years, felt self-comscious around people with money. My head cashier drove a bmw (a high school graduation gift from her parents); I drove an old car that broke down alot! Even when I became successful, I still felt awkward in certain places. But, forgive me if I came across that way. I suppose I should think a bit more before I write! 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I go to Walmart a lot for groceries.  Not because I like Walmart but it is cheaper on a lot of things.  They recently rearranged our Walmart and you can't find anything.  Also, it seems like there are even less cashiers.  I do not like the self-check out things.  Every time we get in line --- there is always some hold-up --- plus the lines are always long, long, long.  

@AngelPuppy1  For the past 6+ months, I've been using Walmart's grocery service and am well pleased with it.  I put my order in online from their list of about everything in the store, pick my time for pick up, pay for it,  then go to the store at the appointed time, call and tell them I've arrived and they bring out my stuff and put it in the car. 

They pick out the best fruits and veggies for you and will substitute a more expensive item free if they don't have something or you can request no substitutions. 

This is perfect for someone with no patience or time for waiting in line or for cashiers.  Door to door takes me about 30 min. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The greeters at our area Wal-Marts are all older, and at the store I frequent, many are on oxygen or use canes. They are allowed to sit on a chair or bench, thank goodness. Occasionally, a greeter will be wearing a security uniform but even these workers are older gentlemen. None check your receipt. I doubt their presence does much to deter shoplifting, and they certainly could not chase after a suspected shoplifter in the parking lot. I think the cameras and probably security people posing as shoppers do most of the security work.

@BalletBabe you could travel to my backyard and see sparring birds and a certain squirrel, lovely horses across the fence, geese, and even a bobcat. This winter I saw huge kitty prints in the snow and it was no housecat. You could enjoy watching the magpie couple pecking the head and tail of my resident squirrel when he gets too close to their nest. It's quite comical. He has torn up half my outdoor cushions to try out nest material, discarding most of it, but for some reason I love that little guy (maybe it's a she?).