Respected Contributor

Re: Tips for New York City travel

yahooey...you are such a wonderful resource and thank you so much for taking the time to telling me where to look and go for info. One of those restaurants is quite close to our hotel and has great reviews.

Other than our city tour I think we will stay pretty close to the Lincoln Center, Columbus Circle area.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wonderfulworld

you are most welcomed - I do hope you venture out to other areas of the city on the other days- 

Times Square is very close to where u are staying - head west until you hit Broadway - it is quite a spectiacle. It is all lit up at night time just like the movies lol 

The hub of Times Square is by the TKTS booth - large seating area where you can people watch. But I'm a walker so when I say close - I mean 15-20 minutes of walking

Lincoln Center is also quite beautiful day or night - 

3440633.jpg

Respected Contributor

I am back from New York and had a wonderful time. I found it to be cleaner and I felt safer than in other major cities I have visited such as Paris and London.

The area we stayed in was actually the Lincoln Center area but since we knew a local we went to quite a few places in the city.

Flights in and out of LeGuardia on Delta went smoothly.

We took a van tour with 9 people for 6 hours that included the Circle boat tour by the Statute of Liberty, a little of Central Park and the 911 site. Wonderful tour guide so we saw a lot and learned a lot.

Other highlights were the Museum of Natural History, the Lincoln Center,

Columbus Circle (pastries at the bakery) , the bar in the hi-rise of  the Rock, shopping and walking the 5th Avenue area (no purchases though), St. Patrick's Cathedral and my personal favorite...Beautiful, the Carol King musical on Broadway ( purchased half price matinee tickets at the outlet at Lincoln Center). We took buses or walked mostly but did have a pedicab ride from Broadway to Rockefeller Center.  Times Square was...Times Square. My friend lives in a 45th floor apartment which was cool to see and she knew the bus routes so we got around a bit.

The food was great and the people very nice. I would go back again for sure.

Many thanks to all for your advice, so very helpful...when I return I will walk the hi-line park but we just ran out of time. What a great city.

Honored Contributor

wonderfulworld.....thanks for update on your NYC trip!  I am glad it went well and you had fun.  Happy you got to see Beautiful.....I loved that play too.  You were lucky to have your own personal tour guide/friend.  Now you have to save up to go back!

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

I am back from New York and had a wonderful time. I found it to be cleaner and I felt safer than in other major cities I have visited such as Paris and London.

The area we stayed in was actually the Lincoln Center area but since we knew a local we went to quite a few places in the city.

Flights in and out of LeGuardia on Delta went smoothly.

We took a van tour with 9 people for 6 hours that included the Circle boat tour by the Statute of Liberty, a little of Central Park and the 911 site. Wonderful tour guide so we saw a lot and learned a lot.

Other highlights were the Museum of Natural History, the Lincoln Center,

Columbus Circle (pastries at the bakery) , the bar in the hi-rise of  the Rock, shopping and walking the 5th Avenue area (no purchases though), St. Patrick's Cathedral and my personal favorite...Beautiful, the Carol King musical on Broadway ( purchased half price matinee tickets at the outlet at Lincoln Center). We took buses or walked mostly but did have a pedicab ride from Broadway to Rockefeller Center.  Times Square was...Times Square. My friend lives in a 45th floor apartment which was cool to see and she knew the bus routes so we got around a bit.

The food was great and the people very nice. I would go back again for sure.

Many thanks to all for your advice, so very helpful...when I return I will walk the hi-line park but we just ran out of time. What a great city.

@wonderfulworld   I'm so happy you enjoyed yourself.  I'm trying to figure out when I'm going back to visit my sister and friends.  I was born and raised there and still embrace the energy of the city when I go back.  I've never walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, so that's on MY list!!!!!   Thanks for your update. 

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld

St Patrick's is beautiful - just got a thorough makeover. I'm glad you had a wonderful time. We New Yawkers are a good bunch - a little gruff but nice.

Top of the Rock is stunning and you can see Central Park in all its glory. 

Come back soon!

PS was your pedicab driver a shirtless Ryan Gosling?

Respected Contributor

I am looking forward to a return visit. I think we will take our husbands this time and maybe rent an apartment. I would like to go to Chelsea Market, walk the Highline, have a walking tour of Central Park with a docent and find a place outside of Chinatown that serves Crispy Duck! Kinky Boots is also on my list and someone asked if I had gone to the Settlement Museum...never heard or read about it.

Thanks again to all of you. I will be back!

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

I am looking forward to a return visit. I think we will take our husbands this time and maybe rent an apartment. I would like to go to Chelsea Market, walk the Highline, have a walking tour of Central Park with a docent and find a place outside of Chinatown that serves Crispy Duck! Kinky Boots is also on my list and someone asked if I had gone to the Settlement Museum...never heard or read about it.

@wonderfulworld   It's the Tenement Museum on Orchard Street which is downtown.

Respected Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@wonderfulworld   It's the Tenement Museum on Orchard Street which is downtown.

Thank you very much! I am glad to have the info.