Respected Contributor

Tips for New York City travel

I am flying into LGA for 4 nights and staying in a hotel near Central Park. So far the only plans are a city tour and a pedi cab( ?) in Central Park. It will be over Memorial weekend.

We will also be visiting a friend who lives there. Any tips on what to pack and where and or what to do?

Many thanks!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Tips for New York City travel

[ Edited ]

If the weather cooperates and you enjoy walking there is THE HIGH LINE, nyc's only elevated park with great views especially at sunset.  Here is the info:

http://www.thehighline.org/

I have not walked it, but plan to the next time I am in the city.

Respected Contributor

We took the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan a few years ago. It took about 3 hours and was a lot of fun.

Respected Contributor

Thank you...those are great suggestions.

We are walkers! We are staying at a hotel on West 58th Street (Manhattan/Central Park)....a Marriott. I am hoping it is a good location.

Are jeans ok for tourist stuff?

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

Thank you...those are great suggestions.

We are walkers! We are staying at a hotel on West 58th Street (Manhattan/Central Park)....a Marriott. I am hoping it is a good location.

Are jeans ok for tourist stuff?

Amended to say West 58th between 10 and 11.

Honored Contributor

Memorial Day should be nice weather. Summer is horrid - hot and sticky. Check the weather and pack accordingly. We have had cool weather 50s and then it shot to 90 for a day. Sneakers or good comfortable wlaking shoes. Walking or subways are the easiest, faste4st way to travel. Beware of the pedicab costs. I think they charge by the minute and minutes can go pretty fast. 

You can wear your sneakers anywhere and everywhere. Better to enjoy yourself then limping bc of your feet hurting. Hop on and off bus tours are very popular. I'm sure your friend can lead you through the ins and outs of the city.

There is your standard Statue of Liberty - Broadway Show - Museums - Restaurants of every cuisine. Enjoy - 

I wouldn't carry a lot of money - I use my cc for everything. Get a metro card and load up. City buses only take coins. $2.75 or a metro card.

Respected Contributor

If you go to weather.com you can find out the weather. Jeans are fine for pretty much any place you go. I would NOT take a pedicab. They are a scam. Go see a broadway show. I cannot imagine staying in NY and skipping a show.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wonderfulworld

If your hotel is located 10/11th Avenues - you will have to walk east for 2+ long blocks. Avenue blocks are longer than number blocks in NYC.. 

The closest subway will be 59th St Columbus Circle - there are a variety of subway lines there.

Subways will run on HOLIDAY / Weekend schedule which some trains do NOT run. Check accordingly - 

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 1.01.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 1.06.12 PM.png

Respected Contributor

Thank you all...you are the best! No pedicabs for sure.

It looks like we are in a pretty good location.

Respected Contributor

Should we take a cab from LGA to our hotel? We are flying in together and will have suitcases.