Valued Contributor

Re: Time Share Presentations

Nothing in life is free. It's that simple. No matter how much you want to believe it. I'd ask for your husbands advice more, sounds like he's pretty well grounded.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

OMG, @NicksmomESQ.  Cursed at?  How awful, not to mention unprofessional.  I hope you wrote a review somewhere like TripAdvisor.

The charge is still in the pending stage and I have to wait until it's an actual charge before I can dispute it.  Already tried, lol.

@Thanks so much for giving me hope @Nicksmo.  Yesterday, I called the company to cancel and they refused.  I said to the lady...."so I suppose that if we don't go, I've just given you $200".  She says very matter of factly, "yes, ma'am".  I also read that out of all the people that attend these presentations, only 10% sign up.

@Mmsfoxxie Keep checking with your credit card company.As soon as the charge hits register your complaint!! You should also report them to the Attorney Generals office in your state as well as their home state.You should be allowed to cancel any contract within 48 hrs.

Also do you have a Twitter account? My friends son had an issue with a company who sold him a defective product.They refused to make good on it.They gave him a very hard time.The kid blasted them on Twitter several times over the course of a couple of days.Bingo they contacted him & gave him a full refund !! 

I also heard on the news last year that this was an effective way to get someone’s attention.They don’t want the bad publicity!!

Good luck!! Let me know how it turns out.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @KathyPet - keep trying.  Yeah, it's $199, but not a huge amount if it turns out that it can't be refunded.  Yes, a lesson learned.  My sister and BIL have done this a few times, like you, figuring they'd be money ahead for listening to some spiel.  If they had a picture in the dictionary of a tightwad, you'd be looking at my BIL! 

When our kids were young we took a trip to Orlando.  I can't even remember how we were contacted, but we ended up at a time share pitch because they were giving away four tickets to Seaworld, which we were planning to do anyway, so we figured we could give up a couple of hours in order to get free admission.  The time share place was also going to feed us breakfast, which was actually pretty good, and they had a monitored play area for the kids while DH and I listened to the presentation.  While we sat there saying, "no" over and over again, bells were rigning and cheers were going up every time a new couple signed on the dotted line.  We just held firm with our "no's".  After a valiant effort, the agent knew he wasn't going to get anywhere with us.  He finally coughed up the tickets and we walked.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't have given them my cc info.

Respected Contributor

Never gone to one but have relatives who did.  Old saying says it best "free ain't always free".  It all sounds so great but they often make it so you are like captive prisoners and can't really leave till after the "presentation" which is so hard sell it makes ur head spin.  

Doesn't take much to google and find all the ppl stuck in deals asking how to sell/unload their timeshares.   The other hard sell for timeshares is at the beach.  I never look them in the eye and if any are able to thrust themselves at me, I just tell them that I don't "do" these - it's two hours of my life I'll never get back.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I know all it takes is to google.  I think people post on here with an issue, it's not understood what the posters is saying.  Things always seem simpler when it's someone else's mistake.  

My initial call to the hotel was to boo an event in March, 2018.  But when I was asked if I wanted to hold to talk to a person about a free vacation, it sounded harmless.  Lesson learned.

Anyway I called Capital One this morning to dispute. I had to wait until the charge came from 'pending' to an actual charge which was today.

The person I talked to said they would remove the charge while the the dispute was being worked on but that it might be reinstated.  So, I think that in the end, I will be out of the $199.  Thanks to those that tried to help.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Checking my credit card account this morning, I see that the charge is off.  That's just pending the investigation, though.  At this point, I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to pay for the hotel.  Who knows?  Maybe hubby will decide to go, although, in researching the hotel, it wouldn't be our first choice either.  

The Stratosphere I Las Vegas?  Anyone familiar with it?  Looks dumpy.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

What's the old saying?

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Words to live by.

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Checking my credit card account this morning, I see that the charge is off.  That's just pending the investigation, though.  At this point, I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to pay for the hotel.  Who knows?  Maybe hubby will decide to go, although, in researching the hotel, it wouldn't be our first choice either.  

The Stratosphere I Las Vegas?  Anyone familiar with it?  Looks dumpy.

Yes, I enjoyed walking on the Tower Experience.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6c/2e/ef/6c2eef8308776da681e6debdbb6458c5.jpg

Respected Contributor

Been to Vegas too many times to count. I would never stay at the Stratosphere. This hotel needs a serious renovation.