Frequent Contributor

Thinking about moving to Fort Lee/Edgewater. Anyone live there??

HiSmiley Very Happy

My husband and I are thinking about moving from NYC to NJ.  We are thinking about the Fort Lee/Edgewater area.  Can anyone who lives there give me some feedback (positive/negative). Any recommendations for high-rise rental apartment buildings?

Thanks so much and have a wonderful day!Woman Very Happy

Frequent Contributor

Re: Thinking about moving to Fort Lee/Edgewater. Anyone live there??

Rent will most likely be a bit cheaper than NY. I lived in Fort Lee when I was younger, now I’m about 10 miles away. As you already know, traffic is congested, like Manhattan. Some apartments have great views but beware of little unwanted pets. 

Regular Contributor

I grew up in that area and returned often to visit family there, until about 9 years ago. So some things may be different now.  But if you are moving from NYC, if you move to Fort Lee or Edgewater, you will have to buy a car and will not have the convenience of walking to shops or services as you do in NYC.  However, a town between the two, Cliffside Park, has the charm of a walkable small town with a wide variety of shops, restaurants, etc all within an easy walk.  It also has high-speed bus service to NYC. It has mid-rise rental buildings but the overall housing style is one or two family homes, including rentals.

Edgewater has the added plus of river views in much of the town and the high-speed ferry service across the river to NYC which has private buses that can connect you to work districts in the city, such as Wall St. mid-town, etc. I'm not a fan of Fort Lee, which does have a lot of high-rise buildings but is spread out over a larger area and just feels overcrowded  And you really cannot live there without using a car all the time.  Good luck in your search.

Respected Contributor

I also like Edgewater better than Fort Lee. You may be able to walk to some restaurants and shops depending on what building you are in.  Go to the area and ask people if they like living in their building.  Most people are friendly, much more than NYC and lots of couples with no kids or preschool kids live in the area.  When the kids reach public school age most move to a house in the traditional suburbs. 

That's what my son did.  He and DIL lived in Hoboken, had 2 preschool kids and moved to Englewood.  Traffic in that Hudson County area is pretty bad all over, though.

Esteemed Contributor

@jettaforce wrote:

HiSmiley Very Happy

My husband and I are thinking about moving from NYC to NJ.  We are thinking about the Fort Lee/Edgewater area.  Can anyone who lives there give me some feedback (positive/negative). Any recommendations for high-rise rental apartment buildings?

Thanks so much and have a wonderful day!Woman Very Happy

@jettaforce
I live in the area and have most of my life.  it depends on what you are looking for.  Edgewater has many many rentals near the water with great views and the better the view, the higher the price.  There is shopping there but stores aren't to my taste.  I would suggest going to an agency specializing in luxury rentals as there are just too many to list.  Edgewater is very congested and rush hour which seems to be always is a nightmare.  I commuted to NYC most of my career and there is one road in and out of Edgewater.  It's constantly noisy because construction is on going and they squeeze a high rise or Community  into every space.  Your limited where you can walk as the desirable communities are between the Hudson River and the one road.  If all you want are fabulous views, you will love Edgewater.  There is shopping but not my favorite stores so I just go to Trader Joe's and shop in NYC or the Malls.  I do like the lower rise or loft buildings which have land and a park like feel surrounding and stores are contained within so there's not much you need to go out for and wrestle the traffic.  There are so many that I don't know the names but The Pearl is a beautiful building and a few other rental buildings are there.  They have everything ...a fine restaurant near by, a pharmacy, a supermarket, Starbucks, Ben & Jerry and some small stores.  The nicer communities are recessed back so you don't feel you are in a congested area or hear noise.   It can be isolated yet crowded which is hard to explain.  It's best to talk to an agent for your pricepoint, amenities and needs specific to you....it is The Gold Coast....

The highrise buildings in Edgewater are mostly not on the water but more towards or on the road so the views are equally pretty but not on the water.   The Carlyle has a good reputation....Admiral's Walk is older but a smaller high rise but well maintained.  

I love Edgewater for good restaurants and when we sold our home, I thought I wanted to live there but it's pricey but not a pretty Community....and just crowded....i do like the communities rather than highrises.  Tho there is a new totally smart, pet friendly building being built on the cliff which is called Park Place....it's on the Cliffside Park/Edgewater border.  I'm not sure it's a rental but apartments are selling starting point about $1.5 million.  

Fort Lee is very congested and noisy as the GW Bridge is there....it is predominantly a Korean Community .. Main Street is mostly Korean enterprises but they are first rate, clean and tho very congested as well....you can get in and out of Fort Lee but it's difficult with traffic.  Of the two, I like Fort Lee for that reason.  Very good dining there as well.  

Fort Lee does have some quiet high rises, that are recessed back and less noisy.  The Atrium comes to mind....some highrises are smaller and away from the bridge on quiet streets like Hampshire House.  The Modern is popular....all glass, nice amenities but basically sits a top the GW bridge.  It's convenient, very congested, close to NYC and I understand the rooms are small.  The Palisades is another popular High Rise and in a quieter area but nothing close by.  

I don't know where you are coming from but be prepared you will be in a very desirable area due to NYC proximity but very congested, noisy and bad traffic every day.

There are high rises in Hoboken which offer equal views, nicer shopping, still very expensive and impossible to drive in...and no parking....but if you have a garage in your complex, no issue.  The nice thing about Hoboken, you are minutes to NYC by PATH and anywhere in NJ by train.  Lower Jersey City the same....Hoboken is very young and very popular with a lot to do and great shopping/dining....small boutique stores.  Many celebrities live in Hoboken....

id also try Cliffside Park which is a bit congested, but, you can move around and equal views but on the Cliff not on the water.   The old Briarcliff now The Apoge was totally renovated and quite nice but I think coop maybe no rentals....

Hackensack also has some very nice highrises and mid rises on Prospect Avenue....traffic but not as bad as EW or Ft Lee....bad point, sirens from Hackensack Hospital.   Same in Edgewater....if you look there, steer clear of the area by Palisades Hackensack Hospital 

if you have your heart set on Ft Lee or Edgewater, be prepared, use an agent and they will direct you to what you want...

Respected Contributor

i just looked on zillow the prices there. seems to be quite a difference between the two towns. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

i just looked on zillow the prices there. seems to be quite a difference between the two towns. 

@kittyloo- it depends on the highrise not so much the Town.  Some are older high rises in Fort Lee but The Modern is the newest.  I live near both towns and in one or the other daily.  Edgewater at one end leans towards Town Houuses, lofts, midrises....the high risers are older except for 1 Park Place which straddles Cliffside Park and may even be in that town.  The "communities" are self contained and some are in Weehawken, North Bergen and you can't tell the difference because they are all part of The Gold Coast so Hudson County will sell slightly lower but still high.  Edgewater is overcrowded....one road, the Ferry is nice but expensive....what you have to look for is stability in the building...some lovely buildings were poorly managed .....I guess if a chose to live in Edgewater which I didn't, I like The Pearl and Oyster as they are communities within a community and feel rural.  

Personally, I like Hoboken and Lower Jersey city....tho busy not as congested