Respected Contributor

Re: The Most Dangerous Countries to Travel to

From this list I still will go to France, Israel ( of course not to Gaza,who needs it anyway),Dominican Republic and Mexico. The rest I couldn't care less.

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

1. Pakistan
2. Thailand
3. Philippines
4. Haiti
5. Honduras
6. Nigeria
7. Belize
8. Guyana
9. Egypt
10. Mexico

This list speaks for American travelers to these countries about danger to the traveler in the form of violence (not disease).  I don't believe there is a consensus on any of the countries with these labels.  Depends on who gathered the data.  The State Department is a good way to start though.

Thanks for sharing @World Traveler

https://www.smartertravel.com/2017/03/24/good-know-10-dangerous-countries-u-s-travelers/

Remember recently on Philippines ISAS beheaded a priest, right in the church???!!! Nigeria has Boka Haran incidents, remember the Russian plane had blown off the sky's in Egypt, 150 Coptics slaughtered on Easter?

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Sounds like a scare tactic.

With all the terrorism, diseases, etc..I'm surprised America isn't on the list.

But then....who sponsored this article?

In some countries, certain American cities are on the danger list.

==========

As far as scare tactics, tell that to the American & foreign tourists who (dropped their guard) were robbed and/or mugged in Mexico.  Happens more times than you think.

You have to be very careful and know where you are at all times.  My sister and I were in Cancun in 1995 and back then we were told to be very careful when going downtown and to only travel in a group.  When my DH and I went in 2000, we were told the very same thing.  We personally never had an issue but one day we were going down to the pool and a college age kid was in the elevator and looked to be pretty badly beaten up.  He said he had gone downtown the night before and was mugged and beaten by some locals.  Don't know the whole storey there but we were very cautious.       

Respected Contributor

On our way to Chichen Itza from Cancun, we only had our camera stolen, though my husband got horribly sick in Merida from drinking fresh squeezed watermelon juice.  We later discovered that watermelons were injected with untreated Mexican water to make them heavier.

Esteemed Contributor

I pay more attention to safety issues than I used to. There are a couple of trips where I didn't feel comfortable. Israel after a war and Tijuana when I was pregnant and had a four year old. Don't know what I was thinking. And there are areas in a handful of American cities that I may not return to. We just have to be aware each day.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler,

I just came back from Florence, London and Oxford. Lots of European and Asian tourist but almost no Americans in the U.K. Could visit my favorite museums and shops without problems.

Did not have any issues, love the Bistish public transportation system however everyone seemed concerned about the economic implications of Brexit.🌻