Honored Contributor

The Best Travel Destinations for Every Month of the Year

[ Edited ]

The last time you took a vacation, you had hoped to catch some sun, but were met with nothing but cloudy skies throughout your stay. Okay, so you didn’t know it was rainy season! If you often have trouble choosing the ideal destination for the time of year, check out the list below, which I originally posted on the Travel Chat thread. You won’t have any more unpleasant surprises! It was seen online by Espresso, Minibulles, on 12/16/16. All photos are courtesy of Shutterstock.

HAWAII, UNITED STATES, IN JANUARY

Let yourself be swept away to Hawaii in January. Leave the winter cold behind and enjoy the gorgeous landscapes we all dream of when it’s hopelessly white outside! 

Hawaii.jpg

BANGKOK, THAILAND, IN JANUARY

Want to explore Asia? To visit Bangkok is to immerse yourself in both modernity and tradition in one of the world’s key tourist destinations. Plus, the month of January is particularly hot and sunny.

Bangkok, Thailand.jpg

SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO, IN JANUARY

Traveling to San Juan, in the heart of the West Indies, will only cost you around $300 round-trip. For that price, you’ll get a nice big dose of sunshine, festivals (the San Sebastián street festival), and beaches. Just the thing to make you forget the frigid cold you’ve left behind.

San Juan, Puerto Rico.jpg

MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES, IN FEBRUARY

Escape winter and warm your heart by taking off to Miami, Florida. In February, in addition to the beach and the city itself, take advantage of numerous events such as Art Deco Weekend, the Miami Jewish Film Festival or the Orange Bowl (the Super Bowl of college football).

Miami.jpg

HAVANA, CUBA, IN FEBRUARY

If you want to wander the streets of Havana and lose yourself in its cultural melting pot, February is the time to do it, as the weather is ideal. You’ll love the Latin ambiance that permeates the city.

Havana, Cuba.jpg

STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN, IN FEBRUARY

Take advantage of low prices to fly to the Swedish capital. In February, a return airfare costs around $350. Sure, it gets dark early, but the city will be adorned with lights and you’ll discover tons of monuments as well as Stockholm’s many wonderful museums.

Stockholm, Sweden.jpg

DUBLIN, IRELAND, IN MARCH

You can discover Ireland without breaking the bank, with good deals on flights departing from countless locations! By going in March, you’ll have the chance to take part in St. Patrick’s Day, THE ultimate Irish celebration, all while exploring the city. You’ll encounter real Irish folklore over a good pint of beer. An event you don’t want to miss!

Dublin, Ireland.jpg

ANCHORAGE, ALASKA, UNITED STATES, IN MARCH

If you’re into glacial landscapes, you should check out Alaska. Visiting in March, you’ll experience a climate that’s less cold than in the depths of winter, perfect for observing the beautiful northern lights over the glaciers.

Anchorage.jpg

PANAMA, IN MARCH

Discover Panama, located between Colombia and Costa Rica. March is the perfect time of year to explore the country and enjoy its beaches. It’s unlikely to rain at all and you won’t be drowning in a sea of tourists.

Panama.jpg

PARIS, FRANCE, IN APRIL

Spring is the most pleasant time of year to see the City of Light: its history, monuments, cuisine, shops and countless museums are at your feet. You will also have the chance to experience the great Foire du Trône (giant carnival) that takes place in April.

Paris.jpg

CANCÚN, MEXICO, IN APRIL

Traveling to Mexico in April is a great idea, considering both the climate and activities offered. This is a good time of year for scuba-diving. You can also attend Holy Week celebrations, especially in the popular Iztapalapa district of Mexico City.

Cancun, Mexico.jpg

BEIJING, CHINA, IN APRIL

April in Beijing is ideal when it comes to mild temperatures and tourist crowds, on the low side at this time of year. For only $400 round-trip, you can discover the capital of the People’s Republic of China and its countless treasures.

Beijing.jpg

NEW YORK, UNITED STATES, IN MAY

In May, temperatures in NYC start to warm up so that you can really enjoy the city, its streets and its parks. Here are some not-to-be-missed good times happening in May: Memorial Day, Dance Parade, Fleet Week (to meet some good-looking Marines) and of course, you’ll want to attend a Yankees’ game.

New York.jpg

AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS, IN MAY

May is without a doubt the best time to visit Amsterdam and cycle around the city. You won’t get much rain, and flowers will have already taken over the countryside.

Amsterdam.jpg

ARUBA, CARIBBEAN, IN MAY

In May, a return airfare to this small paradise will only set you back around $350. Aruba is a Caribbean island and Dutch territory with landscapes you have only dreamed about. If you’re in the mood to while away some lazy hours under the sun, don’t hesitate – this is the place to do it!

Aruba, Caribbean.jpg

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM, IN JUNE

June is the ideal month for visiting London. The famous fog will have disappeared, making way for lovely weather and many goings-on about town: for instance, the famous Trooping the Colour, a spectacular military parade marching through the city in celebration of the Queen's birthday.

London.jpg

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, UNITED STATES, IN JUNE

In June, Chicago invites you to attend numerous events such as the Pride Parade, the Chicago Blues Festival (the largest free blues festival in the world!) or the Grand Park Music Festival (outdoor classical music concert).

Chicago.jpg

MONTEGO BAY, JAMAICA, IN JUNE

Visit Jamaica in June, when you can take advantage of low season and save up to 40% on hotel rates. Take off to this dreamy destination and experience its beaches and captivating mountains.

Montego Bay, Jamaica.jpg

BERMUDA, IN JULY

Discover the archipelago of Bermuda and its fascinating coral islands in July, one of the best times of year for good weather. A round-trip flight to this postcard-perfect destination will run you around $330.

Bermuda.jpg

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND, IN JULY

If you want to explore Iceland, July is the month to do it – it’s the best time to admire its breathtaking landscapes and to go whale watching. Plus, a good number of festivals take place in July, such as Bræðslan (a pop/rock festival).

Reykjavik.jpg

LIMA, PERU, IN JULY

Take off to Peru, with flights departing from many locations. If you dream of exploring the Andes Mountains, July is the best time to go: it’s dry season in the mountains and ideal for hiking.

Lima, Peru.jpg

NASSAU, BAHAMAS, IN AUGUST

If you travel to the Bahamas in August, you’ll get a good deal on an all-inclusive package. Choose idyllic scenery on a modest budget.

Nassau, Bahamas.jpg

QUITO, ECUADOR, IN AUGUST

Explore Quito, the capital of Ecuador, in August. Summer is the best time to visit, because the days are the longest and sunniest of the year, and rain is all but absent.

Quito, Ecuador.jpg

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES, IN AUGUST

In August, the influx of tourists is much smaller than in winter. Sure, it gets really hot outside, but you’ll get to witness a natural phenomenon: sea turtles laying their eggs on the beach.

Fort Lauderdale.jpg

LISBON, PORTUGAL, IN SEPTEMBER

September is without a doubt one of the best months to discover Portugal. Most tourists will have returned home, but the weather is still great. From various locations, you can book a round-trip flight to Lisbon, Sintra or Cascais.

Lisbon.jpg

ORLANDO, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES, IN SEPTEMBER

If you’re looking to visit the Walt Disney World Resort, September is your best bet – you’ll benefit from lower prices and good weather. Flights are generally inexpensive, and you can take advantage of reduced admission rates at the amusement park.

Orlando.jpg

BOGOTÁ, COLOMBIA, IN SEPTEMBER

If you plan on visiting Colombia in September, choose the first two weeks of the month to avoid the beginning of the rainy season. Prices will be lower, and you’ll also have the opportunity to check out the Jazz al Parque festival in Bogotá.

Bogota, Colombia.jpg

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS, UNITED STATES, IN OCTOBER

Visit Boston in October, and you’ll get to attend the Head Of The Charles Regatta while enjoying mild weather in this New England city.

Boston.jpg

SHANGHAI, CHINA, IN OCTOBER

If you love urban environments, you should definitely visit Shanghai, a megalopolis among the largest in the world. There are several not-to-be-missed events going on in October, such as the Shanghai Masters (a professional tennis tournament) and the China Shanghai International Arts Festival (featuring art exhibits, concerts, dance performances).

Shanghai.jpg

YELLOWKNIFE, NORTHWEST TERRITORIES, CANADA, IN OCTOBER

Feel like exploring a remote northern destination? October is a great time to see the gorgeous northern lights on full display. Yellowknife is the ideal spot from which to view this luminous natural phenomenon. There’s really nothing else like it!

Yellowknife, Canada.jpg

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES, IN NOVEMBER

If you want to party, you should head for Las Vegas, Nevada! Even better, hotel room prices advertised in November are the lowest of the season due to the cooler weather (which is more pleasant than the scorching summer days, anyway).

Las Vegas.jpg

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA, UNITED STATES, IN NOVEMBER

Visit New Orleans in November to take advantage of the lowest prices on offer. You can find good deals on round-trip flights – a great excuse to discover the city, its Latin and Creole architecture, and of course, listen to some live jazz!

New Orleans.jpg

MARRAKESH, MOROCCO, IN NOVEMBER

Take off to Marrakesh, in the heart of Morocco. Wander around the famous Jemaa el-Fnaa square, visit the Medina and other noteworthy locales featured in The Thousand and One Nights. The sweltering heat of the summer will have cooled off, so the weather will also be ideal for sightseeing in the city.

Marrakesh.jpg

ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI, UNITED STATES, IN DECEMBER

Take advantage of low prices and visit St. Louis, Missouri, also known as the Gateway to the West. Don’t miss out on exploring the Meramec Caverns.

St. Louis.jpg

GUATEMALA, CENTRAL AMERICA, IN DECEMBER

Not only can you expect exceptionally low prices at this time of year, it also happens to be dry season in Guatemala. It’s also whale watching season, sure to make for a memorable trip!

Guatemala.jpg

JAKARTA, INDONESIA, IN DECEMBER

Fly to Jakarta for a very good price in December. Explore the Indonesian capital, make your way to Bali’s magical beaches, and sample local cuisine.

Jakarta, Indonesia.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: The Best Travel Destinations for Every Month of the Year

I love that you posted this. Thank you. Where are you off to, next? I do enjoy "traveling" with you all on here!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I may be prejudiced as I live in Sarasota, FL ...I think ANYWHERE else in Florida beats crappy Miami (no offense if you love Miami). I find zero reason to ever go there particularly as there are better beaches, etc. Perhaps the clubscene is the draw for some.

:::steps off soap box:::What a great post to read through and generous to put out there for us.

Thanks!

Super Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

I may be prejudiced as I live in Sarasota, FL ...I think ANYWHERE else in Florida beats crappy Miami (no offense if you love Miami). I find zero reason to ever go there particularly as there are better beaches, etc. Perhaps the clubscene is the draw for some.

:::steps off soap box:::What a great post to read through and generous to put out there for us.

Thanks!

Lizzie...I will be visiting Sarasota next month for the first time, probably staying in Siesta Key.  Any recommendations on where to stay, eat, etc.?  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

I love that you posted this. Thank you. Where are you off to, next? I do enjoy "traveling" with you all on here!

Hi @DukeBlueNan How have you been?

I leave mid-June for six weeks visiting England, Scotland, Wales, Denmark, Sweden, Latvia, Poland, Finland, Russia, and Estonia. I have been to Poland and Russia before, but not the others. The last seven countries will be by ship, where we circle the Baltic Sea, visiting only the capitals of each of them.

@JudyL was planning to do the same England/Scotland/Wales itinerary in the Fall that I am taking in June, but had some concerns about traveling overseas at this time. I am hoping she is still gung-ho and that we will be comparing notes!

I plan to post every day like I did last summer while in Ireland, Albania, Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro, and Bosnia & Herzegovina. So I look forward to taking you along with me via this forum! Heart

Trusted Contributor

@Loveac

We enjoyed visiting Sarasota when our son lived there past two years. Spring training baseball kept us busy and that was so much fun! We stayed with him and it worked out well. Siesta Key is a beautiful beach! Have fun.

@World Traveler

One word..WOW! Just an amazing trip you've planned! I can't wait to hear all about it and love that you take the time to post.

We traveled to the SC beach. That sounds kind of pathetic compared to your trip!😉

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Loveac,

Hopefully you'll becoming after 4/16 (Easter)...prices for hotels will decrease. 

Since I'm a native, I don't have much experience with where is better than others to stay. Much depends on your budget and expectations. Try AIRBNB maybe, if you do not require hotel amenities? That site will have ratings. Also trip advisor  I find helpful if you are like me and like to read reviews.

Food...if you love seafood and are landlocked where you live, please enjoy as much as you can here. My rule of thumb when I travel is "no national chains".

Again Sarasota (Siesta Key included ) has all price ranges and excellent cuisine choices. Breafast:First Watch, Broken Egg, Breakfast House, Sunday Brunch at Blue Rooster.

Lunch (literally so many) Shore Diner (St. Armand's Circle), Siesta Key Oyster Bar, Daiquiri Deck ( just to keep things on Siesta Key). If going downtown, new hotspot Boca.

Dinner: Owens Fish Camp, Indigenous, Marina Jack (lunch too), Chart House, Euphemia Haye (Longboat Key)...am sending all over the place with my suggestions

My goodness ...probadly 20 more....Sarasota Magazine has a new free app called Gastronaut...reminds me I need to download.

Bring your patience...traffic is bad. Enjoy the best beach in America! Thanks for coming!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

@World Traveler

One word..WOW! Just an amazing trip you've planned! I can't wait to hear all about it and love that you take the time to post.

We traveled to the SC beach. That sounds kind of pathetic compared to your trip!😉

@DukeBlueNan Oh, not at all. The United States has so many wonderful places to visit and our variety of travel right here at home is wonderful. I am amazed at how many people I meet around the world who "dream" of coming to the United States, and they start listing all the great places we have to see here.

It's just that my plan has been to go to all the far away places while I am still physically and financially able to do so, and then go to places closer to home as my needs change.

I mentioned a long time ago on the Travel Chat thread that a bunch of us met a travel writer when we were cruising down the Yangtze River in China. We were fascinated by her stories of where she had been.

Since we were all thinking about the next place we wanted to go, she was the logical person to ask for suggestions. The only thing she said was that we should go to the farthest places from our homes as we could go, while we were still physically able to, and talked about going to what used to be called "third-world countries." That's because many of them don't have the facilities that most Americans are used to. It is harder on the body because of the longer flights and in many cases, squatting over a hole is the only means of going to the bathroom.

Without realizing it, I had already been doing just that.....taking the longer trips first.

The only really long trip that I want to take sometime soon, and by that I mean the longest airplane ride, is to go to Papua New Guinea. I've talked with people who have done it, and they say it is really long, longer than to Australia.

I did do a 17-hour flight from South Africa, and I thought I was going to get cabin fever! ha! We refueled for one hour in West Africa, but you were not allowed to get out of the plane, and the officials came onboard and sprayed us with some disinfectant. Not sure why, because we couldn't leave the plane, and the smell locked up in that plane after that was so disagreeable. It took several months after that before I even thought of where I wanted to go next.

Super Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Loveac,

Hopefully you'll becoming after 4/16 (Easter)...prices for hotels will decrease. 

Since I'm a native, I don't have much experience with where is better than others to stay. Much depends on your budget and expectations. Try AIRBNB maybe, if you do not require hotel amenities? That site will have ratings. Also trip advisor  I find helpful if you are like me and like to read reviews.

Food...if you love seafood and are landlocked where you live, please enjoy as much as you can here. My rule of thumb when I travel is "no national chains".

Again Sarasota (Siesta Key included ) has all price ranges and excellent cuisine choices. Breafast:First Watch, Broken Egg, Breakfast House, Sunday Brunch at Blue Rooster.

Lunch (literally so many) Shore Diner (St. Armand's Circle), Siesta Key Oyster Bar, Daiquiri Deck ( just to keep things on Siesta Key). If going downtown, new hotspot Boca.

Dinner: Owens Fish Camp, Indigenous, Marina Jack (lunch too), Chart House, Euphemia Haye (Longboat Key)...am sending all over the place with my suggestions

My goodness ...probadly 20 more....Sarasota Magazine has a new free app called Gastronaut...reminds me I need to download.

Bring your patience...traffic is bad. Enjoy the best beach in America! Thanks for coming!

Thanks so very much Lizzie!  Glad u told me about visiting after Easter...I'll be sure to do that.  I appreciate the time u took to give me your info and the restaurant list!  Wishing u all the best...

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler

Very nice list.  Of the many you posted I would only do Las Vegas, Panama, Cuba, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Bermuda, Mexico, Paris, London and Chicago!

*Call Tyrone*