Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Absolute Best Places to Travel by Train

The TGV In France is the most wonderful high speed train. You can go from one end of the country to another in just a few hours. I have traveled via TGV many times. I wish we had a comparable transportation system. There are some things that other countries do far better than we do.

Honored Contributor

I travelled across the US (from CA to NY) on Amtrak (get a sleeper) and frequently (couple of times a year) take the train down to WDC and then another out to WV.  

When we went to Italy, we flew into Milan for a couple of days and then took the train to Florence (couple of days)... Venice (couple of days) ... Rome (couple of days). 

We picked up a car in Rome for a few days then to Latina to visit friends and relatives... then Naples and Pompeii ... and took the overnight car ferry to Sicily ... drove all over Sicily for a week ... flew back to Rome and then home!

Italy was "trains, planes and automobiles."

The advantage of train travel is that you end up in the heart of the City ... unlike airports where you have to take a taxi into town.  Arriving in Venice by train is fab - an unforgettable sight!  The Canal is right outside!

Honored Contributor

I've ridden a number of the "tourist" trains in the US and think the best, most spectacular is the Durango & Silverton out of Durango, CO.  It roughly follows the track of the famous Million Dollar Highway (US 550) through the San Juan Mts. to the old mining town of Silverton, set in a "bowl" at a high altitude.  In September when the Aspens are yellow, it's a jaw-dropping trip.  It's a narrow gage railroad still using a cute little steam engine.  Both Silverton and Durango are nice towns to visit with many shops and galleries to browse.  Lots of places nearby to explore. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Really like train travel, it is so relaxing!

Have traveled:

• Danube Express to Transylvania
  • Great Smoky Mountains Railroad, North Carolina (home sweet home!)
  • White Pass and Yukon Railroad, Canada and the U.S
  • Trans-Canada Railway Through the Rockies

• The Orient Express – most famous train in the world, inaugurated in 1883. A classic trip is from Venice through the Alps to Paris and on to London.  ON MY BUCKET LIST!
"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I travelled across the US (from CA to NY) on Amtrak (get a sleeper) and frequently (couple of times a year) take the train down to WDC and then another out to WV.  

When we went to Italy, we flew into Milan for a couple of days and then took the train to Florence (couple of days)... Venice (couple of days) ... Rome (couple of days). 

We picked up a car in Rome for a few days then to Latina to visit friends and relatives... then Naples and Pompeii ... and took the overnight car ferry to Sicily ... drove all over Sicily for a week ... flew back to Rome and then home!

Italy was "trains, planes and automobiles."

The advantage of train travel is that you end up in the heart of the City ... unlike airports where you have to take a taxi into town.  Arriving in Venice by train is fab - an unforgettable sight!  The Canal is right outside!

I completely agree with you regarding the train to Venice.  I will never forget walking down the stairs at the train station with the Grand Canal directly in front of us.  I literally could have cried it was so incredible.  Venice was one of those places that was actually better than I could have have imagined.  Truly magical.

Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've ridden a number of the "tourist" trains in the US and think the best, most spectacular is the Durango & Silverton out of Durango, CO.  It roughly follows the track of the famous Million Dollar Highway (US 550) through the San Juan Mts. to the old mining town of Silverton, set in a "bowl" at a high altitude.  In September when the Aspens are yellow, it's a jaw-dropping trip.  It's a narrow gage railroad still using a cute little steam engine.  Both Silverton and Durango are nice towns to visit with many shops and galleries to browse.  Lots of places nearby to explore. 

Oh, how I wish we had taken the train from Durango to Silverton.  Instead, we drove the Million Dollar Highway and nearly died of freight.  My husband, who was driving, has a problem with heights and it was nerve racking.  We finally turned around half way to Silverton.  Quite a memory, and not in a good way!

Trusted Contributor

I love high speed trains. My favorite is  the  Shinkansen,  320km/h is a lot of miles per hour!🌻