Valued Contributor

Re: Hotel Recommendations Savannah, Georgia

Oh yes, Leopold's ice cream, we have been known to hit that twice in one day!

Honored Contributor

+1 for Leopolds.  A very fun place.  

I just went back through my reviews for Savannah and I really enjoyed Clary's for breakfast.  I don't know what they put in their eggs, but they were the best scrambled eggs I've ever had.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@kitty60, Leopold's definitely on the list!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35, The Mansion at Forsyth Park is very nice.  @lh8990, your recommendation is lovely.

The great thing about the feedback here on Savannah is that there is a good price range in hotels and lots of advice about where to go and eat.  I am now really looking forward to this trip.  It is so nice to have advice from people who have actually stayed in these locations and eaten at these recommendations.  @kitty60@CoffeeNut@ScrapHappy

As good as Trip Advisor is, the personal feedback is better.  Thank you ladies.  You made my planning easy.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmomwrote:

@VaBelle35, The Mansion at Forsyth Park is very nice.  @lh8990, your recommendation is lovely.

The great thing about the feedback here on Savannah is that there is a good price range in hotels and lots of advice about where to go and eat.  I am now really looking forward to this trip.  It is so nice to have advice from people who have actually stayed in these locations and eaten at these recommendations.  @kitty60@CoffeeNut@ScrapHappy

As good as Trip Advisor is, the personal feedback is better.  Thank you ladies.  You made my planning easy.  LM

I found the restaurants in Savannah a little lacking for the most part.  I like a good meal.  It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, but just a good meal.  The places I liked the most were Vic's, The Pirate House, and Mrs. Wilkes dining room.  Just a head's up for most, especially The Pirate House...you need a reservation.  The fried chicken at the Pirate House seems the most popular.  That's what we had and it was very good.  Large portions (which I'd known that, we could of split the meal if that was allowed).  For Mrs. WIlkes dining room.  I think that is the most popular.  No reservations and cash only.  Very few tables and they let people in about 10 at a time.  The line really does wrap around the corner.  If this is something you really want to do, get there early....as early as you can BEFORE they open to get in line.  We weren't too far in the line and waited 2 hours.  We did the River Boat cruise but didn't do the dinner or lunch.  Glad we didn't because that did not look good at all.  We went in October and it was still VERY HOT....too hot.  I'd never go back unless I know it's going to be a lot cooler.  There's a lot of walking and doing it in that heat and humidity was unbearable.  Please post back your trip report and have a wonderful time.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy, thanks for the info.  Great to have that kind of feedback.  I’m like you, I like good meal.  

I will report back.  I already know I love the area as we have been twice before.  We have never stayed in the City though so it's great to have the feedback.  I confess, I don’t think there are many places I would line up for though🤔.

Hoping early May will be good walking weather in the City.  I am definitely a morning person so I will be up and at ‘em early.  LM

Honored Contributor

I didn't want to post my food recs as I wasn't sure if the restaurants were still valid 10 years out.

I loved the Pirate House.  I did it as part of a tour group.

I did the riverboat tour as well.  I wouldn't recommend the riverboat unless you have nothing better to do.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@kitty60@VaBelle35@ScrapHappy@lh8990@CoffeeNut, we just arrived home today from our trip to Hilton Head and Savannah.  We spent two days in Savannah and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on East Bay.  It was a very good location.

We had done the city tour on a previous trip so we hit the streets for a whole day and walked the city.  We went through all of the parks.  I fell in love with the beautiful white fountain.

5070069D-1E13-4642-8278-32AEFB1AEE54.jpeg

C653F43D-1570-4B63-AE68-F755433CCB74.jpeg

We certainly appreciated the beautiful architecture, the stunning wrought iron work and oh those trees...majestic is one word.

00BF304E-7743-4C2A-AEF7-AD781EDD19AF.jpeg

F8043722-FDD7-42DB-8711-ADF8279B16F2.jpeg

For some reason, I can’t load the photo of the trees that I want here but this is nice.  Large canopies over walkways.  Simply beautiful.

932D73BB-0F1C-4ED4-9F27-8D6AD4ECEF5A.jpeg

We had a quick meal at a cafe.  We ate at The Flying Monkey twice the noodles were that good!

Thank you all for the recommendations on Savannah.  They really helped us a lot.

We stayed in Palmetto Dunes on Hilton Head.  Lovely spot and enjoyed ocean swimming which is always important for maritimers like us.  

Happy travels!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitty60, how could I forget, we went to Leopold’s ice cream shop twice.  Great treat in the hot weather!  LM

Ooops, it was Ben and Jerry, not Leopold’s.  I don’t think I saw Leopold’s.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@kitty60@VaBelle35@ScrapHappy@lh8990@CoffeeNut, we just arrived home today from our trip to Hilton Head and Savannah.  We spent two days in Savannah and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on East Bay.  It was a very good location.

We had done the city tour on a previous trip so we hit the streets for a whole day and walked the city.  We went through all of the parks.  I fell in love with the beautiful white fountain.

5070069D-1E13-4642-8278-32AEFB1AEE54.jpeg

C653F43D-1570-4B63-AE68-F755433CCB74.jpeg

We certainly appreciated the beautiful architecture, the stunning wrought iron work and oh those trees...majestic is one word.

00BF304E-7743-4C2A-AEF7-AD781EDD19AF.jpeg

F8043722-FDD7-42DB-8711-ADF8279B16F2.jpeg

For some reason, I can’t load the photo of the trees that I want here but this is nice.  Large canopies over walkways.  Simply beautiful.

932D73BB-0F1C-4ED4-9F27-8D6AD4ECEF5A.jpeg

We had a quick meal at a cafe.  We ate at The Flying Monkey twice the noodles were that good!

Thank you all for the recommendations on Savannah.  They really helped us a lot.

We stayed in Palmetto Dunes on Hilton Head.  Lovely spot and enjoyed ocean swimming which is always important for maritimers like us.  

Happy travels!  LM

I'm glad you had such a nice trip.