Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for Hotel Recommendations Savannah, Georgia

[ Edited ]

Does anyone have any gems to tell me about?  We are going to spend some time on Hilton Head Island and have booked a place so we are all set there. We want to spend a couple of days in Savannah to do some walking around the City.

We have been to Hilton Head several times and have done the City Tour of Savannah.  This time, we would like to stay in Savannah for a couple of days to get a better feel for the City.

I would appreciate hotel recommendations and restaurants as well if you have had good experiences.  I am not one to stand in line to eat though so I thought I should point that outSmiley Wink.

TIA.  Your coments have been very helpful on the air travel for this trip.  Time of trip is early May.  LM

Valued Contributor

Re: Hotel Recommendations Savannah, Georgia

We stay at the Holiday in Express in the historic district.  When we visit we park our car and walk the city our entire stay.  It's great if you get a room that overlooks Bay Street and the river.  You can watch the ships and barges at  night from your room.  I think two of our favorites are Churchill's Pub just down the street.  Just as it says a pub, great for a couple of drinks, appetizers and dinner.  We love their English style fish and chips.  Another treat for a late breakfast (yes, the HIE has breakfast but...) Clary's Cafe a few blocks away is a small neighborhood restaurant that has the absolutely best breakfast.  Their egss benedict are one of the best I have ever had.  For any other places to eat we just wander around when we are there and see what seems interesting at the time.  The trolley tours are also great.  You can spend an entire day getting on and off and go around more than once.  LOVE SAVANNAH!

Respected Contributor

I moved to Georgia two years ago and went to Savannah for the first time last October.  We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Savannah.  It's in a GREAT location.  The waterfront area is right across the street and behind you is the historic districst.  We had a nice room with a water view.  It's so close to everything!  It's on 199 E Bay Street and their number is (912)231-9000.  I kept their info on my phone because if we ever go back, I'd stay there again.  Right across the street from the Holiday Inn Express is Hampton Inn.  Same street.  Both in historic district.  Holiday Inn Express has complimentary breakfast every morning.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty60@ScrapHappy,Heart thank you so much!!!  I just read the reviews and they are very good.  It's fantastic that you both recommended the same place.  I am travelling from Nova Scotia and we haven't stayed in Savannah before so I really appreciate the feedback.  I am a member of IHG so that works.  I have tentatively made a booking for a room with a view (hoping that gets us off the street side).

Still interested in hearing other recommendations if anyone has more to add.

Thank you again!  LM

Honored Contributor

I stayed at the Mansion at Forsyth Park (a Kessler hotel) when I went about 10 years ago.  It is a beautiful hotel.  They have a cooking school there, so you can take classes (there were none that I wanted to take the week I was there) and the restaurant 700 Drayton was really great.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom 

I live in Savannah, GA.  That Holiday Inn Express you picked is an excellent choice. 

Here are my favoriote places to eat in the Historic District.  That is the the part of downtown you will be staying at and all are within easy walking distance of your hotel.

These are all mom and pop resturaunts and usually no lines to wait.

Zunzi's Takeout:  Voted one of the best sandwich places in the US.  Get a sandwich and eat in one of the park squares.

Gryphon Tea Room:  Old fashioned drug store with gourmet teas and sandwiches. Only open for lunch.

Crystal Beer Parlor:  Good burgers and sanwiches.

Leopolds Ice Cream:  Best home made ice cream but can be long lines.  It's that good

Old Pink House:  Fancy expensive dinner place with good seafood.  Claims to be haunted.

Goose Feathers:  Good breakfast cafe

Jazz'd Tapas bar:  Excellent tapas.

B Matthew Eatery: VERY close to your hotel and excellent lunch place.

Flying Monk Noodle Bar:  Good asian noodle soup bowl place.

Vinnie Van Go-Go:  New York style pizza.  They accept only cash though.

Olympia Cafe:  Down on Riverstreet and good inexpensive Greek food.

J. Christoper's:  Very good brunch place.  Only stays open until 2pm I think.

Kayak Kafe:  Yummy eclectic soft sided tacos are their specialty.

Churchills Pub:  as mentioned by another poster.  Brittish flair food and I like their fish and chips and shepards pie.

The District Cafe:  Really love this place.  Good sandwich and salad shop and they make their own bread.

Rancho Alegre Cuban Restuarant:  Good authentic Cuban eatery.

Fire Street Food:  Asian with a twist.  Get the Lemongrass Chicken. MY FAVORITE !!!

Sorry Charlies:  Yummy fresh seafood.  I love their "Low Country Boil for 2."  Excellent price for what you all get.

For Coffee: There are quite a few coffee joints.

This gives you and idea of all the choices you have.  Each one I listed is where I love to eat at over and over when I'm in the Historic Section.  I would not dine any place on Riverstreet.  Way too touristy and overpriced.  Stick with anything from Bay Street down to Forsyth Park.  There are many many many "Mom and Pop" places to choose from.  ENJOY your strip to Savannah.

Contributor

We loved the Eliza Thompson House hotel, felt very boutiquey and more authentic than a chain hotel. Lots of great food choices in Savannah but you must go to Mrs. Wilkes for lunch. Get there an hour before opening and wait in line. It's worth it!

Esteemed Contributor

@CoffeeNut, thank you so much for taking the time to give me this advice.  I feel well and truly armed to hit the eating establishments of Savannah.

I loved Savannah the first time I visited and knew I would return to experience it’s beauty again.  In fact, it reminds me quite a bit of my home city, Halifax, Nova Scotia which is a port city as well.

I am going to copy and save your post for my travel file.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy, thanks for this.  It’s good to have the address so that I know the right property.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35@lh8990, thank you!  Off to check these places out.  LM