Honored Contributor

Re: Taking the Train Long Distance

@castlenv wrote:

DH and I have taken Amtrak several times, the longest from NYC to Chicago.  We are considering doing the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle.  HOWEVER, we would get off and spend the night in a hotel along the way.  One night on the train is no problem, much more comfortable than a plane.  No need to get a roomette which is very expensive, IMO.  But spending more than 20 hours at a stretch on the train is a bit much.  There is a dining car with decent food at extra cost but not unreasonable.  

Bottom line, we love train travel, a lot less stressful than flying.  But I would take extra time, get off the train, have a hot shower, good night's sleep and then continue on my way.  

Owning my agree, especially if you have the time.

The employees are so nice, you will never see a passenger dragged off a train.

Respected Contributor

I have really enjoyed reading about people's experiences on long train trips. It makes me feel I could and  should do this!

Honored Contributor

Sadly there is an Amtrak derailment today.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@insomniac2 Yes, I agree with you.

I would really like to do the Orient Express. I don't know what it costs, but I know it is very, very expensive. Several years I looked into it and found it was not in the near future for me due to the cost. 

Although Amtrak just had a problem today, that would not deter me from using them. When I was in high school, my father, mother, and I went across the United States by train. I had a separate room. Don't recall if my room had a toilet, but it did have a sink.

On the way back we came by way of Canada, so I got to see that beautiful country.

Loved the entire trip, which took 36 days, because we stopped off in various states for a night or two to do sightseeing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Funny this topic should come up now.  Off and on, over the years, I've envisioned taking a train trip somewhere, even going to the Amtrak site and plugging in fake trips in order to get an idea of cost and travel time.  There would always seem to be some kind of drawback so we've never gone through with it.  Even though it's a fake train, since watching The Christmas Train on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel this season (several times, mind you), I'm thinking about it again.  Maybe one day.  

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler

Will you be taking the train while in Japan?  I remember when I was in Japan many years ago, I took the train from Tokyo to Kyoto.  It was very fast. 

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic Oh, yes; in fact, I believe I take it four times. I take the bullet train to Nagoya, then an express train to Kanazawa, train ride to Kyoto, and I think there is another train ride, but I can't remember now. 

Looking forward to the bullet train, as I understand it gets up to 200 miles per hour.

You must tell me about your trip, like things to make sure I see.

This is what is planned so far: I will be going to Tokyo, Hakone, Ashinoko Lake, Ashigawa village, Nagoya, Kanazawa, see the Omicho market, go to Shirakawa-go and Gokayama, Kyoto, Kinkakuji Temple (Temple of the Golden Pavilion), Nijo Castle, Sanjusangendo Hall, Nara (Todaiji Temple and Kasuga Shinto Shrine), practice some Zen meditation at Senkoji Temple, Japanese tea ceremony (sado), Kameoka (near Kyoto), Higashiyama district (by Kyoto's Gion District), Arashiyama, and Okochi-Sanso (garden).

I do regret a bit that I don't have time to go to Hiroshima (which is another train ride if I was going there), nor to see Nagasaki; the two places where we dropped bombs on Japan. I understand there are beautiful memorials there. A friend of mine went and said it was very sobering and makes you wonder what we were thinking when we did that to those people.

But two weeks is all I can take at the time of year I am going. I was thinking of going in the summer when I would have time to add another week, but then I would have no chance of seeing the cherry blossoms in bloom. As it is, there is no guarantee I will see them in bloom when I am there during Easter time, but probably the best time to try to see them blossoming.

Honored Contributor

I would never take a train across the country unless I stopped and got off and visited several sights along the way.  Trains are not comfortable.  And it takes too long to travel coast to coast.

I am not a big fan of flying, but I’d rather fly than take the train if I am traveling a great distance.  You can fly east coat to west coast in a couple of hours.  And it is cheaper.  The only somewhat  scary times are the take off and landing.  When you are on a plane, you hardly notice it.

I have been on a plane for over 20 hours straight straight from the east coast to Asia several times.  Just a 4 to 10 hour  train ride is too long for me. IMO Trains are noisy and the ride is bumpy and when they clean the train, they use stinky sprays and air fresheners.  I hate the sleeping quarters and the food.  I try to avoid having to eat on a train or a plane.

American trains suck.  We are so far behind other countries in this form of travel.  Amtrak has to be bailed out by the government every year, or they would be out of existence.  They are great for short term commuter rides, in and out of a big city, like NY.  Other than that....nay from me.

i am more afraid of trains than planes for a good reason I won’t mention.

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler

It was so many years ago (like 30) that I could not tell you the names of the places I visited. I wish I had kept a trip journal at the time but I didn’t think about it. I was in Kyoto for the majority of the time with some side trips to nearby places like Kobe and Nagoya.  I visited a lot of temples, shrines and some tea houses. I also remember visiting a monkey park near Kyoto with mountain views.   I loved the food (well, maybe not the octopus).  I’m excited to hear about your trip when you go. 

Respected Contributor

While I've never been on one, it's the main transportation for my older sister. She's terrified of flying.  It better be a real emergency to get her on a plane

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*