Honored Contributor

TV SHOW: Samantha Brown's Places to Love - PBS - Starts Sat. 1/6

[ Edited ]

Samantha joins the public television family in January 2018 with 13 NEW 30-minute episodes that seek out the little-known spots and haunts where innovators and disrupters are creating a brand new travel experience. Samantha Brown’s Place to Love will take viewers on a discovery of the emotional heart of travel by highlighting the people who are changing, challenging and strengthening a destination to deliver a decidedly refreshing and enriching travel experience.

HOUSTON, TEXAS Travelers are always on the lookout for the little-known haunts or hidden gems. But what if that hidden gem was an entire city? Houston, Texas might not sit atop your list of must-see destinations, but maybe it should. It might not have Austin’s rolling Hill Country or Dallas’ clean-cut vibe, but Houston embodies what’s great about America. Its low cost of living allows for a booming art scene, and lots of opportunity for hungry entrepreneurs looking to turn dreams into reality. Add in incredible museums, a diverse food and fun music scene, and you’ll quickly see that the Magnolia City really does have it all. Here’s why Houston is a place to love.

SWITZERLAND Many people dream of visiting Switzerland and experiencing the sheer beauty of the Alps, and of course, the legendary cheeses and chocolates! From an Alpine Garden on an idyllic mountaintop to going deep underground experiencing the Cheese grotto in gstaad , biking through the waterfall covered valley of Lauterbrunnen and finally floating down the icy cold Aare River in Bern : Samantha has a most adventurous Swiss journey.

BROOKLYN, NY What is the difference between a Brooklyn egg cream and a Manhattan egg cream? Samantha finds out when she visits Brooklyn and meets a “jerk” at a local soda fountain. From visiting the historic Brooklyn Navy yard to sampling whiskey at New York City’s oldest distillery, to tasting unique foods at the largest weekly open-air food market in the USA, Samantha takes the opportunity to understand Brooklyn through the voice of the people behind such local staples.

SHANGHAI, CHINA There is a certain mystique about the Far East, as Samantha soon discovers when she travels to Shanghai, China. Samantha visits the ancient water town of Feng Jing and she takes an Art Deco walking tour along the historic Bund, where she visits a knife and scissor shop on Nanjing Road and learns the art of paper cutting. She ends her trip with a visit to the historic Peace Hotel.

HUNTSVILLE, AL Welcome to Rocket City, home of Space Camp and the US Space and Rocket Center. Samantha has the pleasure to travel to one of the most unassuming cities in that of Huntsville, Alabama, where she gets to float in space like an astronaut, see a full-scale Apollo rocket and meets Alex McCool, a national treasure who helped put man on the moon. Samantha also ventures out to a soul food restaurant, serving arguably the best fried chicken in the South.

VANCOUVER, CANADA The cosmopolitan city located on the edge of wilderness, Samantha travels to Vancouver and gets to experience firsthand the true beauty of this bustling Canadian west coast seaport. Samantha starts her trip off trekking beautiful Stanley Park. From there, she takes flight in a classic floatplane to enjoy a stunning tour of the city, followed by landing on a mountain lake. Back into the city, Samantha visits the unique shops of Granville Market, and gets a chance to taste the local salmon at a First Nations restaurant.

HILL COUNTRY, TEXAS There is a big difference between Texas and Texas Hill Country, and Samantha finds this out quickly when she takes to the road exploring these legendary lands in search of her favorite wildflower, the Texas bluebonnet. In her quest, Samantha visits a wildflower seed farm that produces fields of stunning wildflowers, gets to taste fine cuisine at a farm-to-table German bistro, and shakes-a-leg at the historic gruene Hall, Texas’ oldest dance hall.

BIG SUR & MONTEREY, CA From Monterey to Big Sur, Samantha travels through the Central Coast of California. She learns about underwater sea life at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and then visits the “Artichoke Center of the World”. In Carmel, she learns about bees from a 14-year old entrepreneur who supplies honey to multiple prominent restaurants. She ends her trip on an electric bike ride along California’s Route 1 high atop the Pacific Ocean.

XI’AN, CHINA Samantha travels to the ancient city of xi’an, China. Feeling a little jet-lagged, Samantha stops off a local health clinic that has been practicing for over 500 years using traditional Chinese medicine. Along her journey, Samantha rides a bike atop the ancient City Wall, visits the uNESCO World Heritage site of the Terracotta Warriors and attends a spectacular outdoor performance of “The Song of the Everlasting Sorrow.”

DONEGAL, IRELAND Samantha travels to the Northwest coast of Ireland where she starts an epic adventure in County Donegal. She hikes up the sea cliffs of Slieve League , herds sheep on a local farm, and learns about the dying craft of woolweaving. Topping off her County Donegal experience, Samantha visits famous Leo’s Tavern, where she meets Irish celebrity, Moya Brennan of the band Clannad.

ORANGE COUNTY, CA Samantha travels to Orange County in Southern California and meets legendary surfer, PT Townend, who discusses the origins of surfing. Along her journey, Samantha takes a ride to Balboa Island on the oldest privately owned ferry in the USA, learns about the vibrant Vietnamese community in Westminster, and visits the Pacific Marine Mammal Center in Laguna Beach, where she assists in the release of a sea lion back to the wild.

MONTREAL, CANADA From immersive to interactive, Montréal is a city that puts on a show of sheer artistry in practically everything that this city is involved with. From hidden- alleyway bicycle tours to the French-Canadian version of Little Italy to its world famous Cirques Festivals to a distiller making gin out of locally sourced botanicals, Montréal both surprised and inspired Samantha in her travels visiting the “City of Saints”.

OREGON (RV TRIP) Samantha ends this season with an all-American family RV road trip throughout the State of Oregon. From Hood River to Fossil to Bend, Samantha and her family take in the magnificent scenery and explore some of the most intriguing stops along the way. She also learns how to drive an authentic Model T car, and visits a real-working ranch, where she gets to herd Black Angus cattle.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: TV SHOW: Samantha Brown's Places to Love - PBS - Starts Sat. 1/6

Was Samantha at Travel Channel before? 

Public television has so many travel shows already.  My favorite is Globe Trekker; it's reminiscent of the Lonely Planet guides.  They visit unusual and challenging places - not safe and comfortable spots in the US and Europe.

Honored Contributor

Yes, she WAS the Travel Channel along with Anthony Bourdain.  When the new management came in, they both bailed.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I have always liked her ....cute ...

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 Thanks for posting all that information. I probably wouldn't have known she is going to be on PBS if you hadn't mentioned it.

I don't recall ever watching her programs, as I tend to stay away from the Travel Channel.  In fact, I don't recall hearing about her at all, including her luggage, until we started the Travel Forum.

I used to frequently watch the Travel Channel years ago when it was more guided-tour type of programming. But it seems in more recent years to be food programs in various countries.

I will be on the lookout for the PBS shows of hers. Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

I watched her show Great Hotels and Passport to Great Weekends.  I found it very much like Rachel Ray's $30 a Day show. A little food, a llittle culture, a little activity.

You got a high level insight into the city featured.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Hey .. I forgot about that Rachael Ray Show ... that was good too .....

Honored Contributor

If Samatha Brown can find something interesting about Houston (beside the art museum), I'll give her a great big, "atta girl".  I lived there almost 35 years and it eluded me.  She a wonderful host for this type of show and does a splendid job presenting her luggage on HSN.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 I checked the PBS schedule and all I am seeing in my area of the country is The Best of PBS for hours and hours. Is she to be a part of that or are you finding her listed under her own name as a program upcoming? Maybe it will be a week or two later in my area than when you are showing it to be for you? Hope so.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler  I have Comcast and it is showing the name of her show at 5:30 pm.

Not all PBS stations air everything at the same time, so you may see it at a later time.

I have like 10 PBS stations here. 

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN