Esteemed Contributor

Planning for a trip and I admit it, I plan way in advance.  Thinking ahead this time around I will take a personal item and an underseat bag as will my husband as carryons.    Normally I check everything (SW)  This time American.  I was looking over the rules of liquids and was totally surprised to read.... that items such as toothpaste,  mascara, lipstick,  lipgloss were considered LIQUID.  Did I read that wrong.   Do I have to isolate them in my quart bag. Seems odd.  I do have PreCk.  

Respected Contributor

I've never included things like toothpaste, mascara, lipstick as liquid.  I always had the cosmetics in my carry on in a cosmetic bag and the toothpaste in another section of that same bag.  I haven't flown in 3 years and perhaps it's a new rule but I never had a problem going through security.

Valued Contributor

@bonnielu

Yes those items are considered liquid.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I never noticed because I always checked my bags, except for a small tote bag which holds my personal information, my holder for tickets and wallet,  my camera, some medicine, and something to read.  Of course that was Southwest.  Now we are flying out on American.  Oh well, I will have to work it out and stuff these things in the quart bag.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu - I just flew last week. I also have TSA precheck. As I understood it, anything 3 oz. or less in a separate plastic bag is OK, except certain liquids. Lipsticks are OK, but lipglosses are not. I have a small flight bag Sephora sells that holds everything. I had a mini toothpaste, sample mascara, full size antiperspirant, and mini body wash and body spray from Bath and Body works in that bag. I put my all-in-one makeup palette and my tube foundation (Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue) in my bag separately. Everything - my whole carry-on bag and the small plastic bag in it - went through the x-ray machine. I didn't have to take anything out. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Mascara? that's weird- I don't think it even SAYS how much "liquid" is in a mascara on the tube! and lipstick?-- it's kind of a "solid" imo. I've never had them (Delta) say anything about lipstick- (and I'd be kinda p -off...... if they confiscated my lipstick! Lip-gloss? yeah- I'd consider that liquid- at least enough like liquid. toothpaste? eh- maybe.but they do sell (outrageously priced) all -in - one "bags" with toothpaste. deoderant etc. at the grocery stores if you really can't wait until you get to your destination. I wonder what they DO with all that stuff they "take". some of it has to be new- 

Esteemed Contributor

Since you’re Pre check you don’t have to take liquids out of your bag anyway. I would put my things that are definitely liquid in a separate bag just in case the pre check line is not open (sometimes it isn’t open for very early flights) and you do have to take it out if you have to go through the normal line. 

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Planning for a trip and I admit it, I plan way in advance.  Thinking ahead this time around I will take a personal item and an underseat bag as will my husband as carryons.    Normally I check everything (SW)  This time American.  I was looking over the rules of liquids and was totally surprised to read.... that items such as toothpaste,  mascara, lipstick,  lipgloss were considered LIQUID.  Did I read that wrong.   Do I have to isolate them in my quart bag. Seems odd.  I do have PreCk.  

Yes, those items are all considered liquids, so if you want to bring them in your carry-on bag you'll need to have them in the appropriate containers (3.4 oz or less) and in your quart ziplock bag. Otherwise, you'll need to pack them in your checked bag. Also, the containers themselves need to be 3.4 oz or less. You can't get away with a half full 6 oz container. PreCk only means that you don't need to remove your quart bag at the checkpoint. They'll still see it and it's contents when it goes thru the scanner. It'll just be in your bag instead of in the tray/bin/bowl that non PreCk folks use. You'll also need to keep in mind that PreCk isn't always available. Earlier this week, I waited 15 minutes for the PreCk line at LAS to open. They tried to redirect me to the First Class/Business Class line, but that just puts people at the head of the regular screening line. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

After someone got on a plane in Oakland, CA with pepper spray and it went off in the airplane cabin yesterday. I wonder if TSA might pay more attention to the liquids brought on board in a carry on.

Honored Contributor

Re: TSA and 3-1-1 Rule

[ Edited ]

I usually carry my mascara, lipstick and eye pencil in my cosmetic bag which is in my handbag.  Other liquids (I buy travel sized shampoo, conditioner, etc.) are in a clear bag.  I never had a problem with doing that.

I had to laugh recently since I like to plan in advance too....I've been thinking all summer what to wear in Ireland in September.  The last few weeks I've been buying clothes and organinzing what I'm planing on bringing.  My nephew and his wife are going (it's an extended family  trip) and he emaile me the other day about the itinerary since they are just starting to think about what to bring....me on the other hand I've been obsessed for weeks on what to bring!

I get like this each time I go anywhere!

ETA:  The thing is, it's hard to know what to pack in checked lusggage when going on certain trips.  Sure if you're luggage doesn't show up (like 4 years ago my DH's checked bag when we went on a river cruise in France didn't arrive with us) you can buy the basics when you get there but it's not always easy when in another country going on a tour.  Thank goodness his bag showed up and arrived the following day on the ship.