Respected Contributor

Re: TRAVEL CHAT - April, 2019

@pietook  Your love for NYC is making me even more excited to go! 😁. We were also thinking it would be fun to take the hop-on hop-off bus around NYC at night to see the lights.  If we do I will remember to dress warm!  

Trusted Contributor

We just returned from a quick 7 day trip to NC/SC.  Mostly to visit 'the children" - DH's son and daughter and my nephew and his lovely wife.  The weather was very warm and muggy the two days we were in Charleston, and one day very rainy, but most were just beautiful.  We left upstate NY when nothing had started greenng yet and were greeted by flowers in bloom and trees fully green.  It was a nice respite from our continuing 'winter'.  

We visited Raleigh and Wilmington NC and Greenville and Charleston SC.  Saw two beautiful gardens - Sarah Duke Gardens in Durham, NC and Airlie Gardens in Wilmington as well as Magnolia Plantation in SC. I recommend all three if you are into gardens.  

Took the ferry to Fort Sumter in Charleston and visited the Aircarft Carrier Yorktown in the harbor. So much history in Charleston, I loved it. Greenville is such a cute little town and really seems to be 'up and coming'.  There's a beautiful park right in the middle of town and there's building going on all around it.  Shops/restauants all wonderful.  

The past two years, DH and I have traveled to Europe iin April for two weeks - took a lot of planning, and travel time. But if you're paying all that money for a flight to Europe, we both agree a week is not enough.  I always get antsy about a week/ten days into a trip like that and want to come home. 

We flew SW and checked one large bag (29"), DH had one side and I had the other.  We both then had carry-ons.  He with his laptop case and me a Vera Bradley tote. (I think it's calle the Weekender)  I'm looking for a wheeled underseater now after lugging that tote.  I like the capacity, but when full, it's a burden to carry.  I wish Lug made a wheeled underseater.  

This one week 'getaway' was perfect for me and I think we'll do more of it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sammijo10  I keep saying that I should go to Charleston but never get to it.  I think it’s consistently ranked as the #1 travel destination in the US on certain lists. Sounds like a great week!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Two months ago, DH and I applied for the Trusted Traveler/Global Entry program online.  

It costs $100 per person, but lasts for 5 years.  You get the benefits of TSA Pre-Check for domestic flights, plus fast entry for international flights as well.  You fill out lots of forms online, then a week later we were notified that we were conditionally approved, and needed to schedule an appointment online to come to the office in person for an interview.  The first opening was two months away.

We had our interview today, and it was very quick and painless.  We had to go to the International Terminal, and after a short wait, we were called for the interview.  They asked us just a few questions, then took our picture and our fingerprints.  We are officially in the system now, but will receive a card in 4-6 weeks.  Hopefully, it will be of great use to us as we breeze past those crowded security lines!  I thought other frequent travelers might be interested in this; it was an easy and efficient process, and the agent who interviewed us was very nice.

Super Contributor

I just returned from a trip to Biltmore Estate in Asheville NC. If there is such a thing as heaven on earth that is the place. Even with all the people walking around it was so peaceful and calming to sit near the gardens and soak in nature at it's finest. It truly is amazing that at one time that was somebody's home and a family actually lived there.

Super Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@Sammijo10  I keep saying that I should go to Charleston but never get to it.  I think it’s consistently ranked as the #1 travel destination in the US on certain lists. Sounds like a great week!!

Charleston is on my bucket list.

Esteemed Contributor

@Veridoc Did you stay on the estate itself? I’m not sure one day is enough to really appreciate Biltmore; I can see spending a couple days exploring the grounds  

We went a few years back, only spending two nights in Asheville (one day at the estate).  Asheville itself is pretty nice, with quite a few very good restaurants.

I think it would be so nice to go back to Biltmore around the holidays.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Biltmore is on my bucket list 😃. 

Super Contributor

@Alter EgoNo, we didn't stay at the estate hotel. We checked into it and it was very pricey. This was a trip with my sister, not a romantic getaway so we decided our money would be better spent on food and shopping. We found a lovely place almost across from the entrance to the estate. Since we were only there to sleep and shower it was just perfect. We spent one whole day in downtown Asheville. My only regret is that we didn't get a chance to go to Antler Village on the estate. It really does take one whole day to see the home on the estate. I have not been during the Christmas Candlelight tour but everyone that I know who has been says it is breathtaking. When I am asked about what I thought of it, all I can do is open my mouth and no words come out. How exactly do you describe.....heaven. I hope you get a chance to go again.

Trusted Contributor

Great forum!

Yesterday I returned from a 9 day trip to Italy.  I was one of 6 chaperones for a high school trip with 44 students (grades 9-12).  We left on Good Friday and spent Easter Sunday in Florence.

From Florence we went to Rome.  PACKED!  On Tuesday we went to the Vatican.  The crowd carried you to the Sistine Chapel.  

We then moved onto Sorrento - my favorite place.  We visited Capri and took a ride along the Amalfi coast.  

It was a great trip.  My only "complaint" was that it was warmer than expected and we all packed accordingly.  But we got thru it!

This was my third trip to Italy and 5th time chaperoning.  The students had a great time.  Days are long and very busy and I ate enough gelato to last me a while!Woman LOL