Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It’s April! 🌼. Welcome to this month’s travel chat. Looking forward to everyone’s travel tips, trips, questions and all things travel. 😎

234E2B01-4202-438A-80EB-10620CBB3BD2.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Re: TRAVEL CHAT - April, 2019

Next month, I am going to my country Greece for all my summer holidays.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

Well I know it's April chat but I just got back last night from a trip to Virginia Beach with the Love of my life. It was cold ! We stayed at the Oceanaire Hotel on the beach, beautiful view of the ocean from our suite's living room and bedroom, got there Wednesday evening last week, temps in the 50's, winds made it nearly frigid to me. Guys were actually on the beach shirtless !  It finally warmed up Friday and Saturday, we went to Norfolk and Chesapeake. The highlight for me was  as we started out taking a walk on the boardwalk one evening a guy was there playing a old R&B song on his boom box when my  honey grabed my hand and we started hand dancing. That guy had the biggest smile watching us dance, people were walking buy smiling. So romantic, one of the best days ever!  Back home to Missouri now still smiling even though the weather was not that great. 

Respected Contributor

@Dinaki wrote:

Next month, I am going to my country Greece for all my summer holidays.

We would love to hear about your travels to Greece when you return!

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  It sounds like you had a beautiful vacation despite the cold!  Thanks for sharing. 

Super Contributor

My niece and I have been putting together a loose itinerary for our upcoming NYC trip in July.  This is my 10th time since 2012----so we usually try to find out of the way---different areas to explore.  Right now I am trying to find a nice brunch----something other than diner fare/atmosphere---in our price range. We are always budget minded but splurge on a few really nice dinner meals.  This time we are doing off broadway play instead of on broadway etc.  NYC is my happy place---wish I had found it sooner----I just turned 67. If anyone has any kind of suggestions for anything  --- PLEASE  share!

Respected Contributor

@pietook  We are going to New York in a couple weeks with two other couples. I’m very excited. We haven’t been to New York for many years.  Do you drive or fly? We’re flying into LaGuardia and staying in Manhattan/Herald Square and we’re wondering if a taxi is the best way to get there.  Do you have any thoughts on that?

Hopefully someone will chime in with brunch suggestions. i’ve seen a lot of previous threads on New York on this Board and maybe doing a search will bring them up for further suggestions on things to do and places to eat.  

Super Contributor

I love to talk about NY itsmagic!  We fly SW---we live in middle TN.  Always fly into LGA and get a taxi.  LGA is having a major renovation but I am sure there will be good signs to guide you.  The cost ---including tip---is usually around $45---give or take a few dollars.  

We purchase a 7 day Metro card that is unlimited rides on subway and busses.  If you take 13 rides---that equals the value of the Metrocard.  We try to always take busses so if we see something interesting---we hop off and explore knowing another bus will be along soon after.  

We like to do a Fixe Price meal---usually lunch.  I know this is old school, but our favorite is Sardi's.  

We have stayed in the Herald Sq. area before and enjoyed it.  For the past several years we stay in mid town---between TS and Rock Center.  

Hope you have a great stay----as I know you will!!!  Please give a trip report when you return!  Just ask if you thnk i can help you in any way!

Respected Contributor

@pietook  Thank you so much for the informative post! 😃 I do have another question regarding the taxi from LaGuardia. Do they take cash and/or credit cards?   Our group of six has already bought tickets to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  When we arrive we want to also get tickets to the hop-on hop-off bus. Unfortunately we will only be there for four days so want to see as much as we can in that short time. 

Super Contributor

itsmagic---(love your name)!  I am 95% sure there is a credit card machine in the taxi.  We just always pay cash.  We did the hop on hop off the first time to acquaint ourselves with the layout.  It is fun---but we did it again that night to see the lights and nearly froze! We have never visited Ellis Island-----can see the Statue of Liberty from Staten Island Ferry but this time we plan to go to --- I think it is Govenors Island ---where you can get some closer pics of the Lady.  You can do a lot in 4 days!  If you are like us---your adrenaline will be flowing!  

I will add one thing----I have never been afraid on the streets of NY.  We have been out late---and even gotten up out of bed at 2 a.m. and walked to a diner---never felt ill at ease.  Just like all places---be aware of your surroundings.  I feel much much safer there than in Nashville TN!  

Shop, eat, take lots of photos and stop to "take it all in"---wish we were going sooner!